BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

10-21-2007, 10:47 PM   #23
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

If you want something that is pure performance over class then get a Z06, not the GT-R. At least the Z06 manages to look good smoking people on the track. Plus n/a > FI in terms of enjoyment. (Though I'm partial to superchargers over turbos, s/c whine > BOV rice-ness imo)

Edit: 2,000th post and I'm a colonel now, WOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 10:52 PM   #24
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
In Asia, we have no issues of accepting the GT-R look, king of the streets forever. I will get one to fulfill my childhood super car dream if price is right.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 11:15 PM   #25
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
If you want something that is pure performance over class then get a Z06, not the GT-R. At least the Z06 manages to look good smoking people on the track. Plus n/a > FI in terms of enjoyment. (Though I'm partial to superchargers over turbos, s/c whine > BOV rice-ness imo)

And also manage to GET smoked by a GT-R. For the price, performance and exclusivity, the GT-R wins hands down. Its the looks that people have to get used to. By the way, I've owned two Japanese cars in my life and neither one had any major issues. After seeing the videos over and over again, I love the car. If it's in the 70k range, I'm getting it. How many people can you say they've owned a Skyline GT-R?
      10-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #26
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
^^^^
how heavy is it?
      10-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #27
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
For the price, performance and exclusivity, the GT-R wins hands down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Atom <-- Price is right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_GTR <-- Far faster. I'm not actually sure what this cost built, the kit is 28k less engine and transaxle.

Quote:
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 11:34 PM   #28
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
^^^^
how heavy is it?
Approx 3700lbs I believe
      10-21-2007, 11:36 PM   #29
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Atom <-- Price is right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_GTR <-- Far faster. I'm not actually sure what this cost built, the kit is 28k less engine and transaxle.
and you'd have either an Atom or Ultima as your daily driver? Come on man..
      10-21-2007, 11:45 PM   #30
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
+1
The looks and $70k nissan are really not the attractive point here when you can get the M3 for the same price. It may be a bit slower, so what -- handling and other aspects will never be matched by Nissan...

I am patiently waiting for the 2011 e90 M3...
Depending on what those "other aspects" are, I could buy that. But, as far as handling goes. I'm pretty confident the GT-R will murder the M3 when it comes to handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellence View Post
Eh. Not a fan. Although it looks nice, I still cant justify paying 60-70K for a Nissan. I'd spend my money on an M3 and get it turbo/supercharged.
Handling wize I've always liked german cars, never a fan of the japanese cars.
Your not going to save much, if any, money by getting an M3. Then if you wanted to go FI, your talking another $10k+.

You cant compare modded vs. stock.

Take that $10k put it into the M3, then put $10k into the GTR, and the GTR still comes out wayyyyy ahead.

Handling wise, I take it you've never driven an RX7, Evo, STi, S2000, cause any of those cars out-handle any German cars short of a GT3.

Quote:

The GTR isn't all about pure performance, it's more on the level of Porsche. It's an everyday supercar if one so chooses. The GTR is MUCH more practical than the Z06. With back seats, a decent trunk, AWD, it's quite a bit more "everyday" than a Z06.

"NA > FI in terms of enjoyment"

Well that's an opinion, I love turbo's, and there's nothing better than feeling the boost building as you get pushed back into your seat and the tach swings towards redline.

Oh, and congrats on the 2000th post!
      10-21-2007, 11:58 PM   #31
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Johnson View Post
Depending on what those "other aspects" are, I could buy that. But, as far as handling goes. I'm pretty confident the GT-R will murder the M3 when it comes to handling.

Your not going to save much, if any, money by getting an M3. Then if you wanted to go FI, your talking another $10k+.

You cant compare modded vs. stock.

Take that $10k put it into the M3, then put $10k into the GTR, and the GTR still comes out wayyyyy ahead.

Handling wise, I take it you've never driven an RX7, Evo, STi, S2000, cause any of those cars out-handle any German cars short of a GT3.

The GTR isn't all about pure performance, it's more on the level of Porsche. It's an everyday supercar if one so chooses. The GTR is MUCH more practical than the Z06. With back seats, a decent trunk, AWD, it's quite a bit more "everyday" than a Z06.

"NA > FI in terms of enjoyment"

Well that's an opinion, I love turbo's, and there's nothing better than feeling the boost building as you get pushed back into your seat and the tach swings towards redline.

Oh, and congrats on the 2000th post!

Awesome post. Some people here apparently aren't open to Japanese cars and choose to be blind to the fact that for the price and performance, the GT-R will absolutely murder the M3 and I dont even care about that. I find it amazing that people want to put their blindfolds on and ignore the fact that the Japanese spent the same amount of time as Germans building the GT-R and created the better car. Yes the interior and exterior are both strange, but its all about what people like and what they don't.

I just feel that you only live one life and for $70k look at what you get. They've been working on the GT-R for years. Hopefully it will be reliable, but please no hear tell me that BMW's never have issues. Thats what warranty is for.

NA > Turbos is your opinion and I respect that.
      10-22-2007, 12:11 AM   #32
ykspeed
Rep
Drives: 02 wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
i dont think i'd ever buy a japanese car over 40k... might as well go german (imo)
That's your opinion, but I think that's bad mentality. It's like your car racist or something. I just want what's best for my money. I know a lot of people care about the name because they care about image, but that's not for me. I'll take the best car for me no matter who builds it. So, to me the gt-r is very appealing because it's:

reliable
powerful
fast in a straight line
fast in the turns
great brakes
good quality
versatile
daily driver friendly

Now some of those are just speculation based on past nissan cars. I definitely don't like the looks very much and hate that it weighs so much, but i'm willing to forget those if it does what nissan says it does. I'll never overlook a car because it's not german. I like getting the best for my money.

Oh, and I don't think anyone can argue that it will not be a great handling car. I agree with cadillac j and armybim. If you don't like the way japanese cars drive, you don't know what you're talking, you've driven an accord and not a s2k, evo, nsx, etc., OR have only driven gt3's and the like your whole life. I always get the feeling that some people here think german is just better because it's german. That's a dangerous mentality. People thought that about american cars and look what happened to them. They got lazy because people kept buying their car's just because of ignorance and when people start realizing that better cars are being built, the car manufactures suffer a ton.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #33
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykspeed View Post
That's your opinion, but I think that's bad mentality. It's like your car racist or something. I just want what's best for my money. I know a lot of people care about the name because they care about image, but that's not for me. I'll take the best car for me no matter who builds it. So, to me the gt-r is very appealing because it's:

reliable
powerful
fast in a straight line
fast in the turns
great brakes
good quality
versatile
daily driver friendly

Now some of those are just speculation based on past nissan cars. I definitely don't like the looks very much and hate that it weighs so much, but i'm willing to forget those if it does what nissan says it does. I'll never overlook a car because it's not german. I like getting the best for my money.

By the way, remember its probably the same way that they gave the official weight of the 335.

BMW states it weighs 3560lbs with a 150lbs driver, x amount of gas, and 15lbs of baggage. I mean the RS4 weighs more and has less power. To do 1 full second faster 0-60 than a RS4 means the weight is off. The curb weight has to be less.
      10-22-2007, 12:29 AM   #34
ykspeed
Rep
Drives: 02 wrx

I hope you're right, but newer gt-r's were never light. I think the r34 gtr was 3600lbs+. And new safety advancements are great, but they add a lot of weight. I'm sure the gtr will have these safety features like 6 airbags.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 01:18 AM   #35
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS, 991.1 C2Sc

Quote:
Awesome post. Some people here apparently aren't open to Japanese cars and choose to be blind to the fact that for the price and performance, the GT-R will absolutely murder the M3 and I dont even care about that. I find it amazing that people want to put their blindfolds on and ignore the fact that the Japanese spent the same amount of time as Germans building the GT-R and created the better car. Yes the interior and exterior are both strange, but its all about what people like and what they don't.

I just feel that you only live one life and for $70k look at what you get. They've been working on the GT-R for years. Hopefully it will be reliable, but please no hear tell me that BMW's never have issues. Thats what warranty is for.

NA > Turbos is your opinion and I respect that.
I would agree with the most of the posts above. Handling wise, I am not sure about the Japanese vs. BMW, but if more experienced in the matter say so, I will agree. But again, I look at the 350Z vs. e92, lets say 328. Yes, it kills it 0-60 or 1/4 mile, but that is all that I see.
If you knock on its frame it sounds like a can. Inside is...Japanese. Again, once I left Japanese behind me, I don't wish to come back.
Outside looks are subjective, but so far I haven't found any Japanese car (G, IS, Z, Nissans, Hondas...) that have the class and looks of the 3er

I love turbos, but as fun as they are, they are usually (not always) trouble down the road.

And the price...GT-R starting at $70k vs. M3 starting at under $60k is a big deal IMO. Does anyone have any idea if the e90 M3 will be any cheaper than the e92?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #36
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would agree with the most of the posts above. Handling wise, I am not sure about the Japanese vs. BMW, but if more experienced in the matter say so, I will agree. But again, I look at the 350Z vs. e92, lets say 328. Yes, it kills it 0-60 or 1/4 mile, but that is all that I see.
If you knock on its frame it sounds like a can. Inside is...Japanese. Again, once I left Japanese behind me, I don't wish to come back.
Outside looks are subjective, but so far I haven't found any Japanese car (G, IS, Z, Nissans, Hondas...) that have the class and looks of the 3er

I love turbos, but as fun as they are, they are usually (not always) trouble down the road.

And the price...GT-R starting at $70k vs. M3 starting at under $60k is a big deal IMO. Does anyone have any idea if the e90 M3 will be any cheaper than the e92?

Thats true. Appearance is a big part and most asian cars lack in that department. But it is all subjective

As far as the E90 question, the E90 335 costs $1000 less than the E92 version so I would guess yes?
      10-22-2007, 01:35 AM   #37
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
And the price...GT-R starting at $70k vs. M3 starting at under $60k is a big deal IMO.
Does anyone have any idea if the e90 M3 will be any cheaper than the e92?
The E90 will always be cheaper than the E92 no matter what model trim it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 01:51 AM   #38
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
and you'd have either an Atom or Ultima as your daily driver? Come on man..
If it didn't snow here? Hell yeah. My true love is Lotus but it's not drivable here in winter

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 02:57 AM   #39
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS, 991.1 C2Sc

Quote:
If it didn't snow here? Hell yeah. My true love is Lotus but it's not drivable here in winter
time to move down here...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #40
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I'm waiting 1 or 2 years before I pick up the GT-R

buying a car on the first year always yields problems
there are always call backs... see what people have to complain about...
I'd rather avoid them, make sure all the lights are green, and then go for it...
it's a supercar after-all
but yah.. I'd want my GT-R.. it's a keeper..
      10-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #41
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

I'm pretty interested. There was a line in the AutoWeek preview that sold me:

"Chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno said the new GT-R was designed and engineered as an all-around, all-season, all-weather car that is comfortable to drive every day, even at normal speeds on a normal day. "

A 4 seasons super car sounds pretty great. Throw in a usable trunk and I'm sold.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #42
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

yea performance in a straight line. vettes aren't known to have great handling. the gtr offers both performance and handling.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #43
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
yea performance in a straight line. vettes aren't known to have great handling. the gtr offers both performance and handling.
Old vettes sure, but the C6 generation handles just fine.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 03:41 PM   #44
2K5 325i
srsly *****'n!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007/8 TiAg 335i 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
You are correct, Corvette's are not known for their great handling, although the C6 Z06 certainly is.

-Chris.

Appreciate 0