BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #23
Nutinup
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13" AW/FR EXT E93 M3/ IND trim

Look at the first post concerning the numbers. I could get it AW with what I need in it for actually $56k drive out bc of it being a MY spec demo and I my having purchased 2 other vehicles prior. I will have it repainted the original color IF I sell it...INSIDE and OUT...not too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
How are you going to get it back to the original color when you sell it?

How are you saving $14K with ED?

You're gonna know that it was painted in North Dakota every time you open the door, hood, or trunk and see the original color poking out, that's how.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #24
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutinup View Post
Look at the first post concerning the numbers. I could get it AW with what I need in it for actually $56k drive out bc of it being a MY spec demo and I my having purchased 2 other vehicles prior. I will have it repainted the original color IF I sell it...INSIDE and OUT...not too difficult.
Hey if you can get a great deal on a demo, go for it.

But I don't think anyone here will tell you that an AW car painted MCB, then repainted AW is a wise decision, either financially or aesthetically. You car will look like a Bavarian flag!

If you've got your mind made up, then go for it. But resale will be a pain, and just remember to have the proper expectations for the repaint job(s).
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #25
Nutinup
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

same spot right? If so, I can do a signe and release same day...then back stateside to see family.

Quote:
If you do ED, you must be present to pick up and drop off the vehicle. They'll only release it to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #26
Nutinup
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I here you SamS. I will most likely take the best scenario and find me another color choice bc I have been going back and forth between this AW...bc I owned ax AW X5...loved that color and have seen it on an M (beautiful in person IMO). I hjave only seen it in AW and SG...so I need to SEE more colors bc it seems pictures dont do ANY of the M colors justice IMO. thx
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #27
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Nutinup

Do think about it very carefully ... in the end your imaginary savings will all be spend with the paint and re-paint exercises.

Also you mentioned the MCB colour might be too dark for you, it does change with the light exposure (sun or no sun etc.). Photos taken with my iPhone of my car in my garage for my 2012 are evidence to that fact.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #28
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Still craziness. Do you really know what's involved with a respray? Removing every piece of trim, the entire interior not to mention the entire engine. Seems like a completely impulsive move. White would be the worst choice to use as a base. If you are dead set on spending $10k+ on a repaint, it would be smart to start with a dark color. Cause unless the place that paints it does a PERFECT job, you will know it's been painted. More or less orange peel in paint has nothing to do with quality of the job. Do a wrap. At least that's reversible with no negative effects.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #29
Nutinup
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Rolf ur killing me my friend! I had almost convinced myself to not get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Here is a thread from Mark's M when he took delivery ... beautiful colour ... some great shots in this thread.

My 2012 is MCB and I love it ... colour changes with the light ... sun etc. as all colours do.

Here is Mark's link ===>CLICK

Here is Mark's former car during his ED trip ... I love that shot and made it one of my desktops
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #30
Nutinup
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

constructive and duly noted Tech! Thx....

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Still craziness. Do you really know what's involved with a respray? Removing every piece of trim, the entire interior not to mention the entire engine. Seems like a completely impulsive move. White would be the worst choice to use as a base. If you are dead set on spending $10k+ on a repaint, it would be smart to start with a dark color. Cause unless the place that paints it does a PERFECT job, you will know it's been painted. More or less orange peel in paint has nothing to do with quality of the job. Do a wrap. At least that's reversible with no negative effects.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #31
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Rolf ur killing me my friend! I had almost convinced myself to not get it!
Get what your heart desires ... you deserve it ... anything less you will regret later on ... it's only money what is $5K more or less if one is not happy in the end .... so follow your heart

Live is short ...

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #32
Nutinup
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After looking in your garage and back at Mark's car....not THAT much of diff....I may go LMB! thx Rolf!

Quote:
Here is a thread from Mark's M when he took delivery ... beautiful colour ... some great shots in this thread.

My 2012 is MCB and I love it ... colour changes with the light ... sun etc. as all colours do.

Here is Mark's link ===>CLICK

Here is Mark's former car during his ED trip ... I love that shot and made it one of my desktops
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #33
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
same spot right? If so, I can do a signe and release same day...then back stateside to see family.
Yes, you can sign to pickup and give it right back to them. I know you've lived in Germany, but picking up an ///M at the Welt and taking it for a spin on the Autobahn was one of the most incredible adventures I've ever had.

Quote:
I here you SamS. I will most likely take the best scenario and find me another color choice bc I have been going back and forth between this AW...bc I owned ax AW X5...loved that color and have seen it on an M (beautiful in person IMO). I hjave only seen it in AW and SG...so I need to SEE more colors bc it seems pictures dont do ANY of the M colors justice IMO. thx
If you really like MCB, go for it. But smart money (and aesthetics) should lead you to getting it factory painted.

You're right about the colors. I don't think any of the metallic colors really photograph well. I never saw Jerez Black up close until I picked my car. I fell in love with it, and have no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #34
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
After looking in your garage and back at Mark's car....not THAT much of diff....I may go LMB! thx Rolf!
That is what I call a sound decision ... Congratulations ... you will not regret it

We look forward of the photos when you take delivery

BTW. I get compliments on the colour in gas stations ... mostly from ladies 3 so far in the past 3 weeks that I have the car .... just past the 500 mile point on the odometer

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 12-22-2011 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: added BTW
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #35
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Some serious conversation hopscotch going on here...
      12-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #36
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

If you scroll down in this thread, there are some side-by-side LMB and MCB pictures (e90 and e92):
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507435

I've got an LMB e90 and the color is great. MCB is definitely lighter, and IMHO flashier and sportier. LMB is a little stealthier. Depends on the look you're going for. If I'd been able to get MCB at the time of my order (ordered too close to the end of e90 production for an individual color), not sure what I would have gone for.

Sorry if I just made the decision harder
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #37
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Get what your heart desires ... you deserve it ... anything less you will regret later on ... it's only money what is $5K more or less if one is not happy in the end .... so follow your heart

Live is short ...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #38
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
This

A full color change is serious business. Do you really want someone to completely take your new car apart and then try to remember where everything went? I'll bet they'd have a bucket of 'extra parts' when they are done assembling your new car.

I'd personally only consider a color change on a track car build.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #39
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
Some serious conversation hopscotch going on here...
Otto, hopscotch is like Kaffeeklatsch it's all good in the end I guess

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #40
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

There is only one shop I would trust to do a full color change and it is IND.
Here is the thread of a full color change from Alpine White to Individual Atlantis Metallic: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383197

If you are seriously considering performing a color change on a brand new car, do your self a favor and call IND first. They will let you know everything that will be involved in doing this properly, including what color to order your car in to make the process easiest and least expensive for you. Please realize you at looking at a minimum of 12k to have this type of procedure performed correctly.

Best of luck on getting the color you want! To me a car must be exactly like I want it. Take a look at the link to my Individual M3 which IND helped me make perfect!

Last edited by BMRLVR; 12-22-2011 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #41
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Dayum that is nuts. I can't even imagine what that costs. More than another car, I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #42
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Dayum that is nuts. I can't even imagine what that costs. More than another car, I'm sure.
If I remember correctly Nate told me the paint alone was about $17k
      12-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #43
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There is only one shop I would trust to do a full color change and it is IND.
Here is the thread of a full color change from Alpine White to Individual Atlantis Metallic: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383197

If you are seriously considering performing a color change on a brand new car, do your self a favor and call IND first. They will let you know everything that will be involved in doing this properly, including what color to order your car in to make the process easiest and least expensive for you. Please realize you at looking at a minimum of 12k to have this type of procedure performed correctly.

Best of luck on getting the color you want! To me a car must be exactly like I want it. Take a look at the link to my Individual M3 which IND helped me make perfect!
The link is a good find .... confirming what I said earlier .... anything for money

I venture to guess this episode with the engine change etc is around $70K man that is insane ... still it demonstrates what a good repaint job would entail removal of trim and components etc. etc. etc.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #44
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If I remember correctly Nate told me the paint alone was about $17k
Wow! And I used to think Individual Paint was sooo expensive from the factory. Helps put everything in perspective.
Appreciate 0