BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-23-2011, 02:49 AM   #23
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
m3 would be great, but vancouver streets does not have much room to put all that power to use. Too many stop lights/ too many cars. I don't think hp or torque really matters there. I was fine driving around a corolla rental. lol
      10-23-2011, 03:11 AM   #24
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Based on research, M3 comes with 3 sets of tires:

Continental ContiSportContact 3

Pirelli PZero

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

With Continental ContiSportContact 3 having the lowest cost on Tirerack. How is this set of tires compared to the more expensive PS2?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #25
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
More importantly, thanks to more horsepower? lol

Love the 335is but, how do you figure it has an advantage till 3-4th gear? M3 is faster 0-60, 1/4mile, everywhere.
The iS has more torque down low so it will initially have the lead. Once the M gets into 3rd-4th it's over, because where the M3 starts building up it's torque and HP, the iS' is starting to taper off.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #26
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [6.33]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [6.83]
2013 BMW 328i  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
No I wouldn't. Because of 2 things

1) I am not a 18 year old flamboyant racer with a 16" long twinturbo penis that often suffer from HFPF.

2) He may drive a BMW. But I have a M3.
Then why ask the question? The M3 has shorter gearing so it will be faster than a 335i even though it may have more torque. Even more if you get DCT.

I got the M3 because it is a well balanced car and I get goose bumps whenever I run the engine to redline. Its a fast car, I can take the family on a vacation in it and then drive right to the track (with a brake pad/bleed and maybe a tire change in between)

If you want something with more power...agree on the C63 AMG.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #27
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

arg these torque arguements get so so old. DOes nobody do a search for this stuff. ENgine torque means NOTHING folks.

ALso the m3 weighs 3600 not 3800. Again search with plenty of people who have weighed the car.

The torque at the wheels is what matters and in every single gear the m3 puts out more torque at the wheels than the 335i when looking at the powerband in which the car drives in. Therefore the 335 puts out more torque to the wheel at 1k-4k but the m3 never ever sees that range of rpms and as soon as you step on the gas from first you are above 5k and then when you shift at redline you drop down into 5500-6 and then redline to 8400. between that power band it puts down more torque to the WHEELs than the 335 does in its own power band of 3.5-6 k and that is what you have to compare.

THe 350z is a slug or the 370z is a total slug if you have ever driven both properly, meaning the m to 8400 rpms.

THese threads are so silly. Go look at dyno plots for each and calculate the area under the curve on each's horsepower curve, for its given band of power that it spends its time in. Compare the two and you see nice and clearly the huge advantage over the 335 and even more over the 370
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #28
RudyP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, AM V8V, 993 C4S, 996TT

I had a 350Z until about a year ago and I can tell you that you will be very happy with the switch to an E92 M3. The VQ motor has more midrange torque but runs out of steam high up in the rev range (and starts sounding rough). If both cars were cruising at 3000 rpm and you punched it, you'd get a bit more kick in the pants in the 350Z initially, but wait 2-3 seconds as the revs climb and the M3 will thrash the Z above 5000 rpm. A bit of a different feel but I'd be shocked if you preferred the Z. The VQ is an engine that performs and sounds great in the low ranges while the S95 performs and sounds great all over - but excels in the higher ranges. Much smoother engine as well.

Also, the M3 is objectively quite a bit faster - for one, it's not as heavy as you think it is. Due to some quirk of measurement standards the M3 curb weight includes a 190 lb (IIRC) driver, half tank and some luggage while most other cars (including other Germans) are weighed with just fluids and gas.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #29
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
If you already worried about the torque get the C63 instead.
This is it folks, /thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #30
艾利克斯
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
Amen, at worst, I was getting 22+L/100km, at best, I've got it down to 16 flat.
Ya, I'm getting 15.5L/100km, it's not "that" bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #31
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I find it difficult to understand and frankly quite a bit of unwelcoming that as soon as I mentione the word torque, some of you immediately start flaming me.

If I wanted a C63, you think I'd end up reading bimmer post for 7 months straight and STILL decided to get a M?

I was hoping for a slightly more constructive advise. Yes I know how to search, but please do try to understand that I am less than 12 hours away from getting this car, and simply thought asking some of the questions 1 last time as an assurance. Is this so hard to cope?

Anyway. This might be better off posted in the brakes section but since I am getting flamed, might as well get torched:

I didn't realize that M3 has single-piston on the front. In comparison, 350Z GT has 4-piston brembos. Now before you all start saying "number of pistons doesn't matter", I am simply curious as to if you find single-piston to be sufficient at stopping this 414HP, 3600LB (thank you very much) machine?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #32
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 艾利克斯 View Post
Ya, I'm getting 15.5L/100km, it's not "that" bad.
I'd assume you use 94. If so, how much for a full tank?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #33
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyP View Post
I had a 350Z until about a year ago and I can tell you that you will be very happy with the switch to an E92 M3. The VQ motor has more midrange torque but runs out of steam high up in the rev range (and starts sounding rough). If both cars were cruising at 3000 rpm and you punched it, you'd get a bit more kick in the pants in the 350Z initially, but wait 2-3 seconds as the revs climb and the M3 will thrash the Z above 5000 rpm. A bit of a different feel but I'd be shocked if you preferred the Z. The VQ is an engine that performs and sounds great in the low ranges while the S95 performs and sounds great all over - but excels in the higher ranges. Much smoother engine as well.

Also, the M3 is objectively quite a bit faster - for one, it's not as heavy as you think it is. Due to some quirk of measurement standards the M3 curb weight includes a 190 lb (IIRC) driver, half tank and some luggage while most other cars (including other Germans) are weighed with just fluids and gas.

The way they measure curb weight is weird and causes misconceptison. Or maybe I just don't know my car enough?

Part of the reason I picked up the Z a few years back was due to VQ35's unique signature exhaust note in the lower RPMs-----there's nothing quite like it.

My relatively short test drive of the M from a while back didn't quite give me the time rev the S65 to stratosphere, but from what I understand, the engine sounds sensational.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #34
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
Why don't you go testdrive the car without three people in it?
Because a M3 in this part of town is considered as a prestige vehicle and you can't just waltz in and test drive one, especially if you are not planning on buying the said vehicle.

I got lucky to have driven one a few months back since the dealership was shady and simply wanted to get rid of the car, fast. Hence they sat me down behind the wheel before they sat me down in the office.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #35
prichards516
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 zcp

Quote:
I find it difficult to understand and frankly quite a bit of unwelcoming that as soon as I mentione the word torque, some of you immediately start flaming me.

If I wanted a C63, you think I'd end up reading bimmer post for 7 months straight and STILL decided to get a M?

I was hoping for a slightly more constructive advise. Yes I know how to search, but please do try to understand that I am less than 12 hours away from getting this car, and simply thought asking some of the questions 1 last time as an assurance. Is this so hard to cope?

Anyway. This might be better off posted in the brakes section but since I am getting flamed, might as well get torched:

I didn't realize that M3 has single-piston on the front. In comparison, 350Z GT has 4-piston brembos. Now before you all start saying "number of pistons doesn't matter", I am simply curious as to if you find single-piston to be sufficient at stopping this 414HP, 3600LB (thank you very much) machine?
LOL someone is always getting flamed on the forums but think of it as "tough love" . Happy to hear about your switch though man, you wont be dissapointed. The brakes work great and do the job sufficiently even with one piston. Remember you can always mod your car in the future to make it suitable for your driving preference. Whether you feel it needs more torque/power or stopping power. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #36
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prichards516 View Post
LOL someone is always getting flamed on the forums but think of it as "tough love" . Happy to hear about your switch though man, you wont be dissapointed. The brakes work great and do the job sufficiently even with one piston. Remember you can always mod your car in the future to make it suitable for your driving preference. Whether you feel it needs more torque/power or stopping power. Good luck
Yeah man. I was up until like 4AM reading about this car, if that's not enough pre-love about this car then I don't what is.

I am already planning on future modding routes. To boost power and IF I really need the torque (flame suit on LOL), I could very well sink $15,000 and boost the car. As for stopping power, Brembo and StopTech both have BBK's available.

This is a legendary car to begin with even in stock form. With ample amount of mods available, frankly I see no fear.

The M3 I am looking at is slightly used. Dealership (non BMW) says the car is under full warranty from BMW NA and scheduled services are free at any BMW dealership in town, which I believe him. But still I'de feel more secure to have someone perform a mechanical insepction prior to purchasing. Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #37
prichards516
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 zcp

Quote:
Yeah man. I was up until like 4AM reading about this car, if that's not enough pre-love about this car then I don't what is.

I am already planning on future modding routes. To boost power and IF I really need the torque (flame suit on LOL), I could very well sink $15,000 and boost the car. As for stopping power, Brembo and StopTech both have BBK's available.

This is a legendary car to begin with even in stock form. With ample amount of mods available, frankly I see no fear.

The M3 I am looking at is slightly used. Dealership (non BMW) says the car is under full warranty from BMW NA and scheduled services are free at any BMW dealership in town, which I believe him. But still I'de feel more secure to have someone perform a mechanical insepction prior to purchasing. Your thoughts?
In a car like this i wouldnt cut any corners honestly. Everything they are telling you as far as the full warranty coverage i would get that in writing so there are no discrepancies later. And i also agree with having your mechanic perform a mechanical inspection..(doesnt hurt plus offers peace of mind )
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #38
RudyP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, AM V8V, 993 C4S, 996TT

Quote:
Part of the reason I picked up the Z a few years back was due to VQ35's unique signature exhaust note in the lower RPMs-----there's nothing quite like it.
I know what you mean, I still love the way the VQ35 sounds when you blip the throttle at idle. It has a great burble that is very unique. My wife and I still notice (and tend to point out to each other) when we hear a 350Z or G35 go by. It's such a distinctive sounding engine. The S65 is a truly great engine though. I think you will be pleased. It's not quite a Ferrari V8 screamer but it is in a different class than the Nissan V6.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #39
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyP View Post
I know what you mean, I still love the way the VQ35 sounds when you blip the throttle at idle. It has a great burble that is very unique. My wife and I still notice (and tend to point out to each other) when we hear a 350Z or G35 go by. It's such a distinctive sounding engine. The S65 is a truly great engine though. I think you will be pleased. It's not quite a Ferrari V8 screamer but it is great on its own merits.
Me and my friends could tell a 350Z / G35 is coming from like a block away, literally LOL.

I am very excited, and can't wait for the S65 to arrive!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #40
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your next post will likely ask about DCT vs. 6spd. Let's stop feeding the troll.

No, the brakes on the M3 are not sufficient for stopping it. If you read all the reviews in the automotive press, not one review has recommended the M3 because it is such an unsafe vehicle due to this obvious design flaw.
No you genius, my next post will not be asking re: DCT VS 6MT. I am set on a DCT, so thank you kindly for your 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #41
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

LOL I have to admit my350Z.com was a much friendlier place to communicate on cars. At least over there we don't have people who 1) contributes nothing positvely and 2) welcome a new fellow member with a huge fire.

Nice one, username11. What you 16?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #42
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

You don't have to disable to start/stop function every time you turn the car on.

For the many people that say they have to accept the disclaimer that comes on when they start the car, have you ever just left it for 3-5 seconds? It goes away by itself. I am yet to press accept because by the time I put my seat belt on it will have disappeared.

Side note to the OP - Stop asking ridiculous questions, if you are worried about brakes, lack of torque etc etc then go get a C63, Camaro SS or GT-R. You are just trolling by asking these questions, you can just use search and get answers to everything and so much more.

Why don't you go pick up a 335is, it has a 7 second over boost function, VROOOOM crazy amounts of torque VROOOOOM gotta love that N54 more than the S65 because it has TWO TURBOS. ZOMG.

/THREAD.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #43
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
What kind of response do you expect when you ask whether the brakes on the car are sufficient for stopping it? No, they're not. BMW drivers are all crazy and suicidal. Makes the commute more fun.
Exactly. Every time I get into my M3 I tell the family that they shouldn't expect me back, but then when I walk back through the front door they're like 'oh, it's you again'.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #44
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
You don't have to disable to start/stop function every time you turn the car on.

For the many people that say they have to accept the disclaimer that comes on when they start the car, have you ever just left it for 3-5 seconds? It goes away by itself. I am yet to press accept because by the time I put my seat belt on it will have disappeared.

Side note to the OP - Stop asking ridiculous questions, if you are worried about brakes, lack of torque etc etc then go get a C63, Camaro SS or GT-R. You are just trolling by asking these questions, you can just use search and get answers to everything and so much more.

Why don't you go pick up a 335is, it has a 7 second over boost function, VROOOOM crazy amounts of torque VROOOOOM gotta love that N54 more than the S65 because it has TWO TURBOS. ZOMG.

/THREAD.

Thanks for info on stop-start and the disclaimer
Appreciate 0