BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #23
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by waremark View Post
I am not convinced by the TPMS story but it would be a pity to reject the car if it was driven sensibly.

I agree that you should request an engine history report, but don't know what information it will give you. You could also try asking to speak to the individual who actually drove the car, and quiz him a bit to decide if the story sounds true.

I suppose that if he could get a detailed engine report, it would be satisfactory. It's unlikely they took his new car out for a joy ride or test drive, esp. with his written agreement, but it's the principle of the matter.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #24
AK414
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 JB E92 ZCP

Thanks for all of the posts, guys. Much appreciated.
Here's the thrilling conclusion:
Last night at the dealership:
1. The service manager became incredibly defensive when I asked him a couple simple questions. He contradicted himself a number of times and said three times, "well maybe you should just take your business to a different dealership." (I'm sure the salesman, who was standing there silently was particularly pleased with this suggestion) At one point, I actually asked him why he was getting so emotional, at which point he managed to calm himself down.
2. They said they couldn't provide an engine history report, only a diagnostic showing if the car had been over-revved...which wasn't my concern.
3. When I inspected the car under the lights in the service bay, I found rock-chips in the paint on the hood (maybe 7 or 8 small ones). This is not surprising since there's a ton of work happening on the 101 south of SF and is why I was going to take it in for a clear bra before putting any highway miles on the car.
Rip-cord officially pulled.
I got my deposit back today and am now weighing my options. Looks like February at the earliest for a new build, but I'll call BMW NA to see if they might be able to expedite things.
Again, thanks for the thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #25
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Which dealership was this?
      11-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #26
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK414 View Post
1. The service manager became incredibly defensive when I asked him a couple simple questions. He contradicted himself a number of times and said three times, "well maybe you should just take your business to a different dealership." (I'm sure the salesman, who was standing there silently was particularly pleased with this suggestion) At one point, I actually asked him why he was getting so emotional, at which point he managed to calm himself down.
2. They said they couldn't provide an engine history report, only a diagnostic showing if the car had been over-revved...which wasn't my concern.
3. When I inspected the car under the lights in the service bay, I found rock-chips in the paint on the hood (maybe 7 or 8 small ones). This is not surprising since there's a ton of work happening on the 101 south of SF and is why I was going to take it in for a clear bra before putting any highway miles on the car.
I got my deposit back today and am now weighing my options. Looks like February at the earliest for a new build, but I'll call BMW NA to see if they might be able to expedite things.
What an idiot. They deserved loosing that sale. I would definitely let BMW NA know about your experience. I would even consider sending them a letter about how unprofessional the service manager behaved.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #27
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

I have previous experience to buy a BMW M3.
I was talking to a Toronto BMW dealer's sales manager.
I asked him if there will be any customer satisfaction discount?
He replied
"you are not my customer yet, why do I need to give you satisfaction discount!"
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 01:05 AM   #28
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
1+

They should have at least contacted you based on your your written agreement. That's poor salemanship in my opinion. I personally would painfully reject the car. This is a major purchase so I wouldn't take it unless I was as close to 100% satisfied as possible.

Also, I think they are using Contis on most of the 2010s now. BMW likely had a better deal with Continental this year.
I have a new 2010 due in about 2 weeks. Anyone know if the Contis are any good when compared to the Michelins?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #29
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 357k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
I have a new 2010 due in about 2 weeks. Anyone know if the Contis are any good when compared to the Michelins?
They're comparable but generally thought to be not quite as good as the Michelins. I've read that they last longer, though. You might sacrifice .03g and a tiny bit of response on them. Most of the cars with 19" wheels are getting Conti's as standard now.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #30
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
If you feel even slightly uncomfortable on this M3, then I would pass it up. I know it would be absolutely heart-breaking to do that, but 'patience can be a virtue'.

Before putting additional mileage on, they should've contacted you.

So far, it looks as though you're not having a very positive experience. I would hold off.

Sorry this happened with you man.
+1

I agree; I would refuse delivery as well. Find another dealer too; I have recently changed tires for winter/rain--took me 1 mile to reset my TPMS. I even took my own wheels off the car, brought just the wheel and tire to Discount--for the same reasons you are afraid of; morons + my M3 = massive headache.

If you don't find a new M3; anything that happens to this one you will always refer back to the first 55 miles of mystery driving... Dont torture yourself!
      11-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #31
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Unbelievable--you made the right choice.
      11-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #32
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Good call, I understand lots of folks saying the miles are no big deal. I know a number of them were also in the group that was getting $10-15K off sticker when the fire sales were going on with the '08 models a few months back. For those discounts, I would have lived with the delivery miles too

There's nothing wrong with having high expectations for an expensive, high-performance, custom ordered car. If I were a CA and I had a customer that I knew was picky about things like delivery miles I would be personally babysitting that car the second it was pulled from the carrier until my client showed up to sign off on the papers. This guy knew you wanted it with delivery miles only, he should have pulled the car under cover in the plastic and retained the keys until he talked to you to see what you wanted done. If the car has to be PDIed I see no reason why you can't ride in the car with the tech on it. Driving a car where a customer is expecting 5 miles on the odometer to calibrate the TPMS without consulting him in advance = a moronic lapse in common sense IMHO. Throw in a lack of accountability, some defiance, some damage, and a craptastic pre-delivery detail and the CA predictably ended up with a nice pot of no sale for you

Anyway, congrats on resisting the urge to just take the car and live with it. For the amount of money these cars cost and the depreciation you endure buying and owning one your delivery experience should be everything (and I do mean everything) that you want it to be.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #33
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

+1

You did the right thing. How can they treat a customer like this. Now is time for them to bear the consequences in the age of the internet and dedicated car forums . Please reveal the name of that dealership. If only for letting other dealers who read this know this is no way to handle a customer. +500 person already read this thread.

BTW can you always get your deposit back ? Can a dealer refuse to return it ?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #34
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Having owned 8 new BMW's over the years, the highest mileage on the cars at delivery was 8. The lowest was 4.

I'd order a new car elsewhere. TPMS resets almost immediately as I've found when i put on my track tires. Very easy to reset.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #35
JohnnyM57
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GTS Cab & GLA 45 AMG

wow, that is ridic how they treated you...it blows my mind when I hear things like this, especially from BMW dealers.

Anyway...I can give a quick thought about the Conti's feel vs PS2 feel...I say this because i had an 09 M3 with PS2s which was totaled (due to a woman with a jeep plowing into me) and now currently have a 2010 with Conti's...I had about 2000 miles on the 1st M3 and about 500 now on the new one..so, I have not taken the Conti's to the "max" but the car feels very stable and road noise is low. I have taken a few tight corners with the Conti's and the grip feels great, best way I can put it is that they (the tires) make you feel as though you can trust their grip. In the rain, which we have had a bunch of here the past few nights, the conti's feel very planted and gripped well even in higher speeds 80mph while taking a long corner on the highway. So I cannot really feel a difference at this moment..perhaps I will when I push the car and it can't do what it did with the PS2s..but we shall see.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 02:48 AM   #36
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
OP: You did the right thing in calling the deal off.

They were seriously being unfair with you.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #37
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

I've had the same experience on a test drive in a Z4M with 150 miles on it. Salesman nails it pulling out of the parking lot on a cold morning all of 20 seconds after starting it... redlines it in first and second gear.
I've bought 3 BMW's, all ordered from the factory and made clear once it arrived it was not to be used for test drives, or even put on the showroom floor where people are gonna want to sit in it and play with all the buttons.
You probably did the right thing. But, I would have to say that demanding less than 5 miles on the odo might be a little extreme. Just driving them out of the factory they go on a little QC drive, then into a big parking lot, and onto train cars, off the train into a big parking lot, onto the ship, off the ship to another big parking lot, etc. etc. it's not unusual for there to be 10 or 15 miles on the odometer. I think there was 11 on my E92, 19 on the Z4M before that. Good luck with the next one.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 11-27-2009 at 06:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #38
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Great move.. And a calm one at that.

Having them recalibrate your TPMS sensors at 40+ miles already says a lot about how much they know what they are doing.

Secondly, albeit rock chips are going to happen, but if I'm dropping close to 70k on a new car, those rocks chips better be just dead bugs!!

Lastly, That customer service just begs for moving on. Well done and the best of luck!
      12-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #39
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

nothing like a nice discount to make the aggravation go away. Paint issue is strange, never had anything like that on a new car.

Ask them for a discount for the mileage, when they agree, then start for another discount for the paint. Don't do it together!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #40
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
I was hoping my first post on the forum would be much more positive than this, but I need some advice and I’m hoping you all can help.

Here’s the story – I ordered a JB E92 M3 about 3 months ago. Prior to ordering, I did a test drive at a different SF bay area dealership than where I ended up buying. In the test drive, the salesman ran a cold M3 with about 80 miles on the odometer up to 8,000 RPM to show off how high the car revs. Of course, I already knew how high the car revs and was just sitting there thinking this salesman is paying no attention to the break-in period and is absolutely ruining this car. Needless to say, I didn’t buy from him, largely for this reason. When I did order the car from a different dealer, I shared this experience with the salesman and put in writing that I wanted to no more than 5 miles on the odometer at time of delivery. He said it might be as high as 8, but understood my concern that the car not be driven.

So, after months of tracking my car’s progress, it arrived at the dealer last Wednesday. The paint on the hood was in bad shape (needed to be buffed) and I had them change the Conti 3s for PS2s. When I went to the dealership last night to sign paperwork and take the car home, the salesman informed me that they had trouble syncing the TPMS with the new wheels (swapped from a different M3 sitting on their lot…the soon-to-be-owner apparently indifferent about tires) and drove the car 55 miles to get the system to sync! 55 miles! Also, the paint still hadn’t been fixed, so I left.

Now I need to decide if I even want this car or if I should demand my deposit back and start from scratch (and wait another 3 months) with a different dealer. So my questions:
1. Does this TPMS syncing issue even sound reasonable to anyone? and 2. What would you do? Accept delivery or not?
Thanks for the advice and sorry about the long first post.
My dealer told me that under no circumstances can they use ordered customer cars for test drives.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #41
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
My dealer told me that under no circumstances can they use ordered customer cars for test drives.
The OP was 100% right to bail out. That dealership was completely out of line. And I agree with this quote. I ordered my M3 since the dealership had nothing even close. As luck would have it, the car I wanted was at the east coast receiving port, just waiting for a new home. It was shipped to my dealership in only 4 days, and I took delivery. I made it clear to the sales guy that I wasn't going to play games with it - I wanted it the way I wanted it, and that wasn't open to discussion. It was as promised (plus, I didn't give them time to put the car on the lot, have test drives, etc.)
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #42
AK414
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 JB E92 ZCP

After a prolonged radio silence, I finally got my E92 a couple months ago. This time a JB 2011.5 ZCP 6MT. Picture attached.
I ordered through Weatherford BMW in Berkeley (Jenn Bishop is an outstanding sales person, if anyone's in the market). For those who asked, I ordered the first car through BMW SF with a salesman who will remain nameless.
Thanks for all the advice while I was dealing with the last situation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:14 AM   #43
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Congrats!!! Glad to hear there was a happy ending

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #44
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
After a prolonged radio silence, I finally got my E92 a couple months ago. This time a JB 2011.5 ZCP 6MT. Picture attached.
I ordered through Weatherford BMW in Berkeley (Jenn Bishop is an outstanding sales person, if anyone's in the market). For those who asked, I ordered the first car through BMW SF with a salesman who will remain nameless.
Thanks for all the advice while I was dealing with the last situation.
So how many miles did it come with this time?