BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

09-05-2022, 11:07 PM   #23
AlbyVaz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

OH man I really am so very sorry for your loss, our pets are family to us so it hurts us to hell and back when they sadly die. You will grieve in time mate I am sure of that but try and remember all the great times you had together and cherish those fond memories.
Appreciate 1
Our03z41721.50
      09-06-2022, 06:55 AM   #24
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
We don't.
I am living with the fear of this exact same situation happening here in a few years.

OCD psycho dog is coming up on 13 years old now, and we have no kids (or desire to have them). My DW's "mommy" instinct has turned the dog into a substitute for a child almost from day one, and I swear that those two have never cut the umbilical cord! My in-laws also believe that he is their grand-dog, and have called their real grandchild the dog's name more than once. There is no dog in the world that could ever replace him in any of their minds, just like getting/having another child will not overcome the grief of losing a human offspring.

Not saying that this is your wife's exact problem, but noting the lack of children and extended grieving over the loss of a fur-baby.....
      09-06-2022, 07:27 AM   #25
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
We don't.
Yu know where i am going with this right......... the pets are effectively her kids.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615595.00
Our03z41721.50
      09-06-2022, 09:07 AM   #26
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

OP, sorry for your loss.

I hate it when some ppl say "it's just a pet". They are family members, and I put them ahead of any random stranger on the street; just because we're human doesn't make us superior.

Anyway, some members have touched upon something and perhaps you need to discover what is in your wife's past. I can understand the pet deaths taking a heavier toll since you guys don't have kids but there may be something even more serious underneath.

Take care.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
Our03z41721.50
      09-06-2022, 01:04 PM   #27
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
She says that she doesn't know what can help.

I agree with you all.

As far as past trauma, quite possibly. I had some counseling many years ago (due to the 1st responder stuff) and I wanted her there with me. At one point the therapist turned to her and said lets talk about you, started digging a little and she broke down crying, got angry and said we are here for him. She didn't go with me again. I've always suspected something is there but the 14years we've been married she hasn't said a peep. I know recently she's opened up about not feeling like she was loved as much as her sibling by her parents, really even to this day. No abuse though. I do think her parents love her but she was pretty self sufficient compared to her sibling.

I will say that part of the problem I think is the way the pup went down hill. Came out of no where and was a rough path for 8 months until he needed to be put down. She spent time caring for him pretty much non-stop.

There's something there then. Pressing can push people inwards and make them feel they're ridiculous for acting the way they are especially if they can't articulate what's causing all of this.

She's lucky to have you. As hard as it is, continue to be patient with her. If you're truly this worried, definitely consult someone who is more trusted and credentialed.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615595.00
Our03z41721.50
      09-06-2022, 01:46 PM   #28
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

One of the many unfair things in life is the fact that pets don't live as long as their people.

Step 1: Hug her, look her in the eye, and tell her you love her. Step 2: Repeat Step 1.

Please share some of the comments on this thread with her. It may be comforting to her to know that we all feel for what she is going through.

Grief is a unique thing. We all handle it in our own way. Hopefully, time will help. Maybe something new like a weekend outing to somewhere you've never been.

Wishing your wife and you the best in this difficult time.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615595.00
3.0L8950.00
Our03z41721.50
      09-06-2022, 02:05 PM   #29
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
One of the many unfair things in life is the fact that pets don't live as long as their people.

Step 1: Hug her, look her in the eye, and tell her you love her. Step 2: Repeat Step 1.

Please share some of the comments on this thread with her. It may be comforting to her to know that we all feel for what she is going through.

Grief is a unique thing. We all handle it in our own way. Hopefully, time will help. Maybe something new like a weekend outing to somewhere you've never been.

Wishing your wife and you the best in this difficult time.
I also wish you two the best.

I agree with sygazelle's step one and two. As far as sharing our comments, I wouldn't. Although it is anonymous, I don't know how she would react to you sharing her personal struggles with a bunch of strangers.... Could be good, could be ugly.
vreihen1615595.00
Our03z41721.50
      09-06-2022, 02:07 PM   #30
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post

I agree with sygazelle's step one and two. As far as sharing our comments, I wouldn't. Although it is anonymous, I don't know how she would react to you sharing her personal struggles with a bunch of strangers.... Could be good, could be ugly.
Well, that's good advice. I obviously did not think it through. I'm learning every single day!
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15851.50
Our03z41721.50
      09-06-2022, 02:41 PM   #31
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post

I won't, like I said she's a closed book. I've been with her since high school and we have each other's back through anything. Right now I just hold her when it hits her but I feel like she needs more than that. She's the toughest person I know so that's how I know it's bad when she's struggling.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15851.50
vreihen1615595.00
      09-06-2022, 03:06 PM   #32
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Your wife needs to talk to a professional to get through this. There's something else going on here. It's not just about the pets.

You haven't noted your wife's age, but if she's in her mid-30s to early 50s and hasn't hit menopause, she could smack dab in the middle of perimenopause. That phase can be extremely hard on a woman and can last for up to 10 years in some women. In many woman, perimenopause can cause depression, gloomy outlook on life, anxiety, feeling lost/hopeless, fatigue, sleeplessness, night sweats, brain fog, moodiness/mood swings, irritability, questioning one's life/purpose/relationships/marriage, etc. Lots of woman can be very depressed during this time and may not seem like themselves. It's also the age range that a majority of women get divorced.
Our03z41721.50
      09-06-2022, 03:16 PM   #33
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

You need to take everything mentioned in this thread with a grain of salt. You're asking strangers on a car forum for advice on a potentially complex and deep rooted issue.
Some of the ideas in here are ridiculous.

The only thing that's certain is if this has been going on over a year that's abnormal and she needs to seek out professional help. That's all you should take from this thread.
      09-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #34
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

If the loss was traumatic, then it could have just put her over the edge. I've been learning that is how trauma works. Since most of us experienced trauma during Covid, it doesn't take much for an additional loss to really put us in a very sensitive place. Trauma just adds up over time and if you don't get help professionally, it'll come out in extreme ways. I think we all have gone through something that made us much more upset than it should have, and that's because of the building up and not dealing with it over time.

Also - try - https://www.griefshare.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Our03z41721.50
      09-06-2022, 03:37 PM   #35
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
anxiety, feeling lost/hopeless, fatigue, sleeplessness, night sweats, brain fog, moodiness/mood swings, irritability, questioning one's life/purpose/relationships/marriage, etc.
So it's a Thursday at my place?
Appreciate 2
bosstones1188.50
Our03z41721.50
      09-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #36
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
So it's a Thursday at my place?
You made coffee come out of my nose
Our03z41721.50
      09-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #37
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I will tell you when we lost our first dog, it did take about a year for my wife and I to start getting past obsessing over the grief. On a daily basis, we still think about her and her companion we lost within the next year, but with good memories more than grieving now. So, I don’t think it’s overly concerning or a clear sign of a deeper issue if she’s still grieving a year later. However, at some point there should be some gradual improvement over time and if that is not happening, then I’d suggest talking to her about either getting professional help as others have suggested, or asking your vet if they know of a group of people with similar grieving to help by talking about it. Such groups do exist.

As far as another dog goes, she has to be open to it for it to help, especially if you get a puppy. Puppies are giant pains in the ass. We got a puppy at the worst time and while it is all great now, it seemed like a big mistake at the time. For some it is the perfect solution. For others not so much.
Esteban44722.00
Our03z41721.50
      09-08-2022, 10:44 PM   #38
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
If the loss was traumatic, then it could have just put her over the edge. I've been learning that is how trauma works. Since most of us experienced trauma during Covid, it doesn't take much for an additional loss to really put us in a very sensitive place. Trauma just adds up over time and if you don't get help professionally, it'll come out in extreme ways. I think we all have gone through something that made us much more upset than it should have, and that's because of the building up and not dealing with it over time.

Also - try - https://www.griefshare.org/

Thanks for the post. As a 1st responder for 13 years I finally hit a snapping point after seeing so much death. Took a few years of professional help to get me back on point...but I learned to stay out of that field for good. I think this might be why I handled our pups death better than her. Tools are everything.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2022, 10:45 PM   #39
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Your wife needs to talk to a professional to get through this. There's something else going on here. It's not just about the pets.

You haven't noted your wife's age, but if she's in her mid-30s to early 50s and hasn't hit menopause, she could smack dab in the middle of perimenopause. That phase can be extremely hard on a woman and can last for up to 10 years in some women. In many woman, perimenopause can cause depression, gloomy outlook on life, anxiety, feeling lost/hopeless, fatigue, sleeplessness, night sweats, brain fog, moodiness/mood swings, irritability, questioning one's life/purpose/relationships/marriage, etc. Lots of woman can be very depressed during this time and may not seem like themselves. It's also the age range that a majority of women get divorced.

She's 32.
Appreciate 0