BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-14-2020, 06:57 PM   #23
JBird..
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I would recommend the 4-pipe mod on the stock exhaust! It will retain the stock X-Pipe and only require work on the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:50 PM   #24
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tareemaa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850tgul View Post
I know you said you wanted more "V8 sound" but ever consider leaving the exhaust as is and focusing on the induction noise instead? Eventuri plenum gives off an amazing growl and the quality/fit and finish is so top notch no inspector would ever know it's not oem.
Just saying, the S65 has the ability to make the air going into the car sound just as amazing as the air being expelled.
I was gonna say the same thing, looking to do this mod to mine.
It's not cheap though that's for sure
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:52 PM   #25
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tareemaa View Post
Quote:
I know you said you wanted more "V8 sound" but ever consider leaving the exhaust as is and focusing on the induction noise instead? Eventuri plenum gives off an amazing growl and the quality/fit and finish is so top notch no inspector would ever know it's not oem.
Just saying, the S65 has the ability to make the air going into the car sound just as amazing as the air being expelled.
I was gonna say the same thing, looking to do this mod to mine.
It's not cheap though that's for sure
For sure, the cost of a solid exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:08 AM   #26
850tgul
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, F87 M2, F30 330xi, X3

Very true. The up front price is high but it does provide a unique sound enhancement that no exhaust can.
It is also 100% reversible and resellable if you choose. I’d have to imagine the market for a used carbon plenum will be fairly strong if you ever decide go back to stock and sell the plenum. I think you'd be able to recoup ~80% of that up front cost.
Not to mention it is also pretty much undetectable at an inspection. Exhausts can also reversible depending on what setup you go with but not always undetectable.

Last edited by 850tgul; 01-15-2020 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:47 AM   #27
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Very true. The up front price is high but it does provide a unique sound enhancement that no exhaust can.
It is also 100% reversible and resellable if you choose. I’d have to imagine the market for a used carbon plenum will be fairly strong if you ever decide go back to stock and sell the plenum. I think you'd be able to recoup ~80% of that up front cost.
Not to mention it is also pretty much undetectable at an inspection. Exhausts can also reversible depending on what setup you go with but not always undetectable.
+1 Makes a wonderful sound!

I had this thing:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...intake-system/

Stupidly expensive for what is basically just removing the stock restrictive airbox and replacing it with a $50 K&N filter. But the noise is thrilling.

Now replaced with a supercharger but intake mods IMO made more satisfying improvements in sound then exhaust mods did.
Appreciate 0