BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #23
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Gotta disagree with this. And I am coming from RS4 and and S4 before that.
The M3 interior with extended leather is really just as nice as the Audi. Audi used to be head-and-shoulders above, but others have caught up. If you also take a good look at the grade of interior materials Audi is now using, you will see that is is not what it used to be, at least not in the 4 series platform. Can't speak for an S8 !!!
Gotta disagree with you on this , I test drove a B8 S4 today , and the interior is sooooo much nicer then my M3 with fox extended, I would say that the quality of the materiel looks to be on par with the M3 but the styling is much much more modern and alot less boring to look at !! The seats look alot more sporty ,also it was in black leathar/alcantara , an option that should be available for a car like the M3 ! My only complain was the steering wheel , to thin for my taste !
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #24
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Gotta disagree with this. And I am coming from RS4 and and S4 before that.
The M3 interior with extended leather is really just as nice as the Audi. Audi used to be head-and-shoulders above, but others have caught up. If you also take a good look at the grade of interior materials Audi is now using, you will see that is is not what it used to be, at least not in the 4 series platform. Can't speak for an S8 !!!
Gotta disagree with you on this , I test drove a B8 S4 today , and the interior is sooooo much nicer then my M3 with fox extended, I would say that the quality of the materiel looks to be on par with the M3 but the styling is much much more modern and alot less boring to look at !! The seats look alot more sporty ,also it was in black leathar/alcantara , an option that should be available for a car like the M3 ! My only complain was the steering wheel , to thin for my taste !
I guess it's all a matter of taste because I find my M3 interior much nicer than my 2011 S4 interior.

At night time it looks nice with all the buttons in comparison to BMW Idrive with less buttons but touching them you feel the difference in quality.

The seats are. Ice. It don't hold you as tight as the M3 and the center console and middle part that is painted silver in the Audi looks cheap.

I have the carbon fiber look in my M and it looks ten times nicer. The silver in the M just doesn't look nice.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #25
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Go with the M3.... A good friend of mine has a 2012 S5. Its very nice, nice interior, and I love how the trunk opens automatically when you hit the trunk release. Also, the manuel trans shifts a lot smoother in the S5 then my 6MT M3. I really dont like the stereo/nav/multi media system. I'm sure after some time playing with it, you will become very familiar but its complicated as a passenger.... The other thing I dont like about my friend's S5 is that he has a sunroof that doenst open. It only tilts. Also, in my M3 there is a panel that slides forward or backwards to block the sun, in my buddy's S5, there is a mesh screen that filters the sun from coming in... I think its pretty cheap in my opinion... I believe that the S5 just isnt on the same playing field performance wise. I have driven his S5 and it just doesnt have that power. We have raced several times and I have walked away from him everytime. Out of the whole he does well with the AWD, but I always pull away. My M3 also handles so much better. His S5 feels soft....

Now an RS5, would be a differnet story but I would take an S5.... But get what you like.. Your the one driving it and paying for it.....

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #26
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMANUEL View Post
Hey all-

Have the option of getting a perfect condition 2009 e92 m3 with 16,000km on the clock or a brand new 2013 Audi s5 with the new v6t engine and dct.

What are your opinions?
I think the S5 is a very beautiful car but...

My personal experience, and those of my friends, are that Audi's have pretty terrible quality.

I had an C5 A6 2.7T - turd...everything broke
Wife had B6 A4 1.8T - diet turd...many things broke; supply chain issues getting replacement
Former boss just bought a new A6 - suspension was screwed up after one week and parts on national backorder...

In general, I would recommend that no one buy a first model year car or engine from any manufacturer unless you don't mind a little downtime.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #27
saugashan
Rep
Drives: None

When are the 2013s coming out?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #28
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saugashan
When are the 2013s coming out?
Very soon. Maybe April or may.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #29
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I'm being told that for $2000, the S5 with the V6T will out perform the M3. Stasis has some sort of tune that pushes HP to 410 and 370 torque. The installer here is telling me that with an exhaust + tune, the S5 will out perform the M3 in all aspects. He also said that the new Rear Sport Differential system makes the car "act" like it's rear wheel drive.

Can anyone please chime in? I'd like to get both ends of the spectrum.

As this salesman is obviously such an expert on cars = please ask him to explain in detail how even the RS5 with 444hp and all of Audi's factory RS handling enhancements still falls short of the M3 in both straight line speed and handling - if he can turn a bog standard S5 into an M3 beater for $2K i would suggest that he contacts Audi Gmbh as soon as possible - they have been trying to find a guy like him for years!!
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #30
KMANUEL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: varies

Hey All,

I believe his reasoning is that it will be producing around 410 hp, with the sports differential and the increased torque + awd, he said it will outperform the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #31
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Yes - however ss134 is saying that if a 444 hp RS5 can't beat a stock M3 in either straight line or on track - how could a 410 hp s5 (with less hp than rs5 and inferior handling to rs5) beat a stock M3?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #32
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Yes - however ss134 is saying that if a 444 hp RS5 can't beat a stock M3 in either straight line or on track - how could a 410 hp s5 (with less hp than rs5 and inferior handling to rs5) beat a stock M3?
if he is talking in a straight line only, the tuned and pullied s5 with the 3.0 sc motor probably is faster than the rs5.

the rs5 has the old torque-less 4.2 liter which was only slightly upgraded from the old rs4. it is also even heavier than the s5 iirc.

the s5 with those mods will likely make a decent bit more whp than the rs5 and certainly have more wtq.

that said, straight line is the only thing performance wise that car can do compared to an m3. I test drove a 6mt B8 s4 before buying my m3.

The transmission is a lot better though.
      03-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #33
KMANUEL
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think even if I end up buying the S5 over the M3, I will not tune it. Since I do not plan to track the car, I feel as if I will not be "using" the M3 to it's full capabilities on the streets (at least without getting arrested).

To be honest I'm leaning towards the S5... it seems like a comfortable, luxurious car that can be used as a sports car on those beautiful days you just want to drive with the windows down. I feel as if with an exhaust system it will have both the proper sound, looks, and comfort.

With the M3, I feel that it is more of a brutish sports car... the redline is 8,300 RPM! Also, I feel that the interior may be a bit dated.

Given my preferences, I will probably go with the new S5 (V6 engine), coupled with the DCT and all the goodies... rear view camera, blind spot checkers, etc. That's assuming Audi doesn't act like Audi and refuse to discount the car...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #34
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
I think even if I end up buying the S5 over the M3, I will not tune it. Since I do not plan to track the car, I feel as if I will not be "using" the M3 to it's full capabilities on the streets (at least without getting arrested).

To be honest I'm leaning towards the S5... it seems like a comfortable, luxurious car that can be used as a sports car on those beautiful days you just want to drive with the windows down. I feel as if with an exhaust system it will have both the proper sound, looks, and comfort.

With the M3, I feel that it is more of a brutish sports car... the redline is 8,300 RPM! Also, I feel that the interior may be a bit dated.

Given my preferences, I will probably go with the new S5 (V6 engine), coupled with the DCT and all the goodies... rear view camera, blind spot checkers, etc. That's assuming Audi doesn't act like Audi and refuse to discount the car...
I have heard that the dct in the Audi can shift slowly. If that is true then that alone would be a deal breaker. The dct in the M3 has spoiled me.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #35
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

A co worker did the similar (went with S4), I still don't know why... I just can't understand.

M3 is nowhere close to be a brutish sports car. It is a very sporty, quite comfortable, GT car.

If your justification for not getting the M3 is because you won't track it, well S5 is not a slow car either. You should get A5 with 2 liter turbo.

Quote:

03-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #36
KMANUEL
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just think the M3 needs to be driven hard to be enjoyed... and I feel like the S5 has more low end torque, looks better, and has a better interior. I'm not a race car driver... the extra 0.3 seconds to 60 mph doesn't really matter... I'm assuming driving dynamics will be very similar for both of them as they are both top notch german companies.. the rest is preference no?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #37
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm assuming driving dynamics will be very similar for both of them as they are both top notch german companies.. the rest is preference no?
Very poor assumption - seriously.

Driving dynamics in the M3 are totally superior; quality as well, at least in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #38
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

+1 on everything

And ironically, if you look at his info, it says he has an A5 3.2 right now.

People want to talk themselves out of an M3 for a lot of different reasons. You can talk yourself out of a car pretty easily if you go onto a forum like M3Post, tune out all the facts, and dismiss everything else as fanboyism.

We've seen this happen plenty of times.

And we've also seen what happens next plenty of times too: weeks, months, years, later the guy comes back after having gotten to drive his buddy's M3. He has a long story about how he regretted getting the 335i/S4/S5/IS-F/G35, etc, etc., and says he has an M3 on order.

So, OP, please do yourself a favor and NEVER get into an M3 once you have your car. You need to keep make sure you remain secure in your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
A co worker did the similar (went with S4), I still don't know why... I just can't understand.

M3 is nowhere close to be a brutish sports car. It is a very sporty, quite comfortable, GT car.

If your justification for not getting the M3 is because you won't track it, well S5 is not a slow car either. You should get A5 with 2 liter turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #39
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
+1 on everything

And ironically, if you look at his info, it says he has an A5 3.2 right now.

People want to talk themselves out of an M3 for a lot of different reasons. You can talk yourself out of a car pretty easily if you go onto a forum like M3Post, tune out all the facts, and dismiss everything else as fanboyism.

We've seen this happen plenty of times.

And we've also seen what happens next plenty of times too: weeks, months, years, later the guy comes back after having gotten to drive his buddy's M3. He has a long story about how he regretted getting the 335i/S4/S5/IS-F/G35, etc, etc., and says he has an M3 on order.

So, OP, please do yourself a favor and NEVER get into an M3 once you have your car. You need to keep make sure you remain secure in your decision.
True. Somewhat embarrassed to say that I was star-struck by the gorgeous design of the S5 when it first came out. This led me to overlook logic and my past experience. I had one on order.

Luckily, Audi and their manipulative and inferior supply chain couldn't get me one, or even a date for delivery. After 6 months of feeling like I was dealing with a teenager instead of a major auto company, I went to drive the M3. Negotiated the deal within 2 weeks after that; had my custom-ordered M3 5 weeks after that IIRC. I like to think someone "up there" was looking out for me ; )
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #40
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
True. Somewhat embarrassed to say that I was star-struck by the gorgeous design of the S5 when it first came out. This led me to overlook logic and my past experience. I had one on order.

Luckily, Audi and their manipulative and inferior supply chain couldn't get me one, or even a date for delivery. After 6 months of feeling like I was dealing with a teenager instead of a major auto company, I went to drive the M3. Negotiated the deal within 2 weeks after that; had my custom-ordered M3 5 weeks after that IIRC. I like to think someone "up there" was looking out for me ; )
Interesting. The guy who bought S4 in our office waited A LOT for his car too...
      03-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #41
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I just think the M3 needs to be driven hard to be enjoyed...
As long as you are comfortable going by what you think vs. what might actually be the case, then I absolutely agree you are making the right decision.

Quote:
and I feel like the S5 has more low end torque,
Sure, and as long as you are completely comfortable with what you feel vs. what is actually true, again, sounds like you are on your way to the right choice.

Quote:
looks better, and has a better interior.
Legitimate opinions, and obviously if those factors are on the top of your list then there's no need to belabor the technical merits of the vehicles too much.

Quote:
I'm not a race car driver... the extra 0.3 seconds to 60 mph doesn't really matter...
Whereas the extra 0.8 seconds the S5 will offer vs. your A5 3.2 is extremely important. I totally get it.

Quote:
I'm assuming driving dynamics will be very similar for both of them as they are both top notch german companies..
Absolutely - its also why both are just as good as an R8 V10 or an SLS.

Quote:
the rest is preference no?
Some of it is preference. Some of it is coming up with a conclusion based on irrationality and emotion, and then proceeding to build up flawed hypothesis to support that conclusion. It is up to the individual to decide where the needle lies on that gauge.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #42
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
As this salesman is obviously such an expert on cars = please ask him to explain in detail how even the RS5 with 444hp and all of Audi's factory RS handling enhancements still falls short of the M3 in both straight line speed and handling - if he can turn a bog standard S5 into an M3 beater for $2K i would suggest that he contacts Audi Gmbh as soon as possible - they have been trying to find a guy like him for years!!
The RS5 certainly does'nt have the feel of the M3 but it does handle better !
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #43
KMANUEL
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm sorry if I upset some of you in saying that I want to choose the S5. I don't want you to think that I don't like the M3 at all, a few of my close buddies have it and love it. I'm just worried about a few things that the normal m3 driver might not even consider. For example, I live in a pretty snowy area... The M3 is an okay winter performer but it does not compare to the awd system... Another thing... I will be driving this car for at least 2-3 hours per day... It needs to be very comfortable and luxurious.. The M3 is already a dated interior and exterior given the recent f30 release... All in all I just want a quick, great looking, comfortable sports car. And I feel like the s5 fits the criteria. I have owned this a5 for 3 years with no problem whatsoever... But I felt that all it was missing was that little bit of power when merging into a highway or traffic maneuvers...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #44
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All in all I just want a quick, great looking, comfortable sports car. And I feel like the s5 fits the criteria. I have owned this a5 for 3 years with no problem whatsoever... But I felt that all it was missing was that little bit of power when merging into a highway or traffic maneuvers...
I guess everyone is different. I sold my M3 because it was too comfortable... In regards of power, I have a MINI Cooper S right now, which has 181hp, and I never felt like I need more power while merging into a highway since I'm usually doing the highway speed on the on-ramp already... Also, there is a reason why cars have gears.

Btw, comfortable sports car sounds like a fat triathlete. Both qualities are against each other.