BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #287
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
"you know there's always some truth in..." A saying I'd like to hear/read every single day

Best regards, south
That's a Swamp special.
      01-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #288
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Sorry to burst your wet dream but the Veyron uses the same technology that when into my Golf, sure it's better/over engineered but then again it has to be, the facts are it's being subjected to 1200hp not 200.

By the way a Veyron gearbox cost in excess of 160K but regardless of this the technology in both is basically the same and the same goes for the M-DCT.

You have to come off your perch with this thing that Audi is all bad because it's not the case, each company do things differently that is all. I am level minded and grown up enough to see each for what they are which is a car, nothing more, nothing less.

You really need to get a grip on reality.

My bubble?? BMW is not the company being bought out by a small Stuttgart company because their products suck and they do wet dream projects like the Phaeton and Veyron.

Look at the BMW's press release, this is the first box that will take high torque and high rpms (read sports car / sedan). This is not the GTI grocery getter DSG. When Audi comes out with DSG2 designed to work with the R8 V10 or the new RS5 / RS4, I might be impressed.

I am level minded but I choose to antgonize you because you made a silly comment about DSG vs. DCT.
      01-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #289
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Back to the Regularly Scheduled Program....

I would like to debate a couple of things:

1 - "Pulling the paddle or tipping the gearshift lever only once therefore makes the transmission shift down either one or several gears, whatever is appropriate. The electronic control unit in command of the M double-clutch transmission automatically changes the gear currently in mesh to give the car optimum acceleration under its current driving conditions and at the speed at which it is travelling."

I am not sure if I am comfortable with the computer choosing the gear for me in downshift mode..... Not comfortable at all. Anyone else? Perhaps they use different algorithms for different shift settings?? Yuck! I prefer to choose my own gears at all times....not because I am faster or better than a computer but because I want to control my car's dynamics.

2 - 7 Speed Gearing

In one of the simulations that I ran. The software doesn't even use 7th gear for acceleration to top speed. In fact, the rear end on the MDCT is extremely tall. 7th gear just looks like a gear for fuel economy.

Did BMW favor economy over acceleration??? This would be very bad.
      01-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #290
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post

2 - 7 Speed Gearing

In one of the simulations that I ran. The software doesn't even use 7th gear for acceleration to top speed. In fact, the rear end on the MDCT is extremely tall. 7th gear just looks like a gear for fuel economy.

I don't know--the car is fast enough as is. The fuel economy has been taking a rap and to get at least a highway improvement would be nice. It might save some on the gas guzzler tax, as well.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #291
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I don't know--the car is fast enough as is. The fuel economy has been taking a rap and to get at least a highway improvement would be nice. It might save some on the gas guzzler tax, as well.

Just imagine a shorter rear end and gears that are spaced out to reach the M3's terminal velocity? This car would be considerably faster.

Guessing at Cartest2000's acceleration agorithms, they would imply you are always going to get more torque to the rear wheels using 6th gear. This means BMW wasted 7th gear for cruising like the Z06 uses 6th gear for fuel economy.

That would blow chunks big time.
      01-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #292
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
I wish I understood the technology that went into each of these gearboxes so I could understand why each companies choose the behaviour of each and how they pulled it off.

This torque overload you are talking about, does this mean the they have chosen to not match the turning of each shaft so that the shift is felt or is it a case there is a brief delay, the latter would surely make it's acceleration slower though ever so slightly and the other would surely place extra wear and tear.

What do you reckon South?
No it means exactly what I posted before. The extra energy in the cars rotational mass of the engine and flywheels is dumped to the rear tires as a brief torque spike when agressive shifting is selected. In the softer modes it soulds like theiy reduce the throttle and dissapate the energy as continued acceleration.

Question: If you know you don't know, why keep arguing with people that do?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #293
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Wasting 7th gear

Quote:
Just imagine a shorter rear end and gears that are spaced out to reach the M3's terminal velocity? This car would be considerably faster.

Guessing at Cartest2000's acceleration agorithms, they would imply you are always going to get more torque to the rear wheels using 6th gear. This means BMW wasted 7th gear for cruising like the Z06 uses 6th gear for fuel economy.

That would blow chunks big time.
All a matter of priorities. You are focusing only on acceleration. The M3 has always been a well-rounded car that compromises on some areas to achieve that balance. All I'm saying is that the economy of the E92 is disappointing compared to the performance. It is not "wasting" the gear if it improves that aspect of the all-around car.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #294
enigma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I doubt it's faster because if that was the case then the Bugatti would have offered a similar setting, but one thing is for sure it will add wear and tear to the gearbox inners and when a DSG for a GTi Golf cost I believe £6500 to replace I doubt I would use setting S5-6 too often.
You still making things up?

It doesn't add massive wear and tear. It simply recovers the stored energy in the engine that was spinning at ~8400rpm and will need to slow down to ~600- or so.

The other options are to cut the throtle and retreive the energy to substitute for its acceleration. Or, have a much smaller spike over a longer period of time. Ironically, this 2nd option is the worst for the clutch packs.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #295
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
All a matter of priorities. You are focusing only on acceleration. The M3 has always been a well-rounded car that compromises on some areas to achieve that balance. All I'm saying is that the economy of the E92 is disappointing compared to the performance. It is not "wasting" the gear if it improves that aspect of the all-around car.

I understand your perspective but I disagree with BMW's apparent choice.

If you look at the M5 / M6, they reach terminal velocity at the top of the rpm band in top gear. This means the 7 gears are well spaced.

With the M3 M DCT, the car's performance is very much like a 6MT. Why have a 7 speed? I don't understand why BMW would waste 7th gear for economy.....

In many ways, the M3 is a mixed bag of intolerable tradeoffs for me....the engine is not peaky and loses torque in the upper rpm band and now with the spacing on the gears.....the performance is not significant over a 6MT!!!

I guess, this is a setup for the M3 CSL.
      01-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #296
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I understand your perspective but I disagree with BMW's apparent choice.

I guess, this is a setup for the M3 CSL.
That would make sense for ultimate performance.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #297
enigma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
2 - 7 Speed Gearing

I view this as a good thing. The first 6 gears are spaced for performance. Much better than the manual. 7th is setup as an overdrive.

In practice in the 0-160 range the DCT car is much better geared. One thing that anoyed me about my other car is 6th was not usefull at the track or on the street. At the track it did't have enough power to ever need it. On the street the car was buzzing so much that I was going nuts on the drives to and from the track. I would have prefered having the taller 6th from the OD version of the manual in that car.

In practice at most tracks the DCT car is going to use 1-5 and the 6mt car 1-4. So you do get to use an extra gear, just not like you first expect.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #298
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:

2 - 7 Speed Gearing

It's not different than 6MT, which reaches the limited topspeed in 5th gear. You also have to think of the possibility that someone's delimiting the car. Maximum speed in 6th gear (DCT) is some 270 kph, so for going 300kph you need the 7th gear. 300 kph are at 7800rpm in 7th gear, so I don't think it could be much shorter...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #299
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
My bubble?? BMW is not the company being bought out by a small Stuttgart company because their products suck and they do wet dream projects like the Phaeton and Veyron.
Porsche are extremely profitable and could have bought BMW if they weren't a privately owned company. You seem to be threaten by Audi for some reason or another and always seem to bring them up in the conversation, especially to me and I don't know for why. Remember I HAVE an M3 on order and I am changing from Audi to BMW, when are you going to get it that I am soon to be part of the team. South, Bruce, Swamp etc don't have a problem with my owning and S5 so why do you and E90Rice have a problem.

Quote:
Look at the BMW's press release, this is the first box that will take high torque and high rpms (read sports car / sedan). This is not the GTI grocery getter DSG. When Audi comes out with DSG2 designed to work with the R8 V10 or the new RS5 / RS4, I might be impressed.
I don't see the relevance in this statement just because I am comparing one with the other but in reply to you question about DSG2, the S-Tronic with 7 gears I believe will be shown with either the new S4 or Q5 ( this is what I have found out on other sites) and this gearbox is designed to cope with in excess of 500Nm (maybe even more some say) so you can argue that BMW beat Audi to having a 7sp dual clutch gearbox but always remember that it was Audi who designed and introduce it first, more than several years ago.

Quote:
I am level minded but I choose to antgonize you because you made a silly comment about DSG vs. DCT.
The two are basically using the same technology, how is that a silly comment. IT'S A FACT.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #300
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's not different than 6MT, which reaches the limited topspeed in 5th gear. You also have to think of the possibility that someone's delimiting the car. Maximum speed in 6th gear (DCT) is some 270 kph, so for going 300kph you need the 7th gear. 300 kph are at 7800rpm in 7th gear, so I don't think it could be much shorter...

Best regards, south

The simulator doesn't have a speed limiter. So it goes until it hits an aerodynamic limit vs. power. It shows a vmax of 177 / 178 mph for both cars with an assume Cd of 0.29. (BMW only provides Cd X A so I just took a swag at the Cd).

Is there another value that I should use for Cd?

Also even before Vmax, the MDCT comes out faster but then the differences to speed / distance level off. The effect would be the the MDCT car coming out 1-2 car lengths at the 1/4 mile and then the distance between the cars remaining the same until Vmax.

Here is a chart that the software generated. #1 is 6MT and #2 is MDCT.

01-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #301
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Remember I HAVE an M3 on order and I am changing from Audi to BMW, when are you going to get it that I am soon to be part of the team. South, Bruce, Swamp etc don't have a problem with my owning and S5 so why do you and E90Rice have a problem.

The two are basically using the same technology, how is that a silly comment. IT'S A FACT.
I really don't have a problem with people making a poor and wrong decision with going with Audi, it is a mistake that they need to deal with

This whole little mini-war stemmed from you making a comment DSG > DCT because you didn't like the programmability.
      01-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #302
southlight
Rep

Quote:
The simulator doesn't have a speed limiter. So it goes until it hits an aerodynamic limit vs. power. It shows a vmax of 177 / 178 mph for both cars with an assume Cd of 0.29. (BMW only provides Cd X A so I just took a swag at the Cd).

Is there another value that I should use for Cd?

Also even before Vmax, the MDCT comes out faster but then the differences to speed / distance level off. The effect would be the the MDCT car coming out 1-2 car lengths at the 1/4 mile and then the distance between the cars remaining the same until Vmax.
Sportauto measured Cx and Cx x A for their supertest:
Cx: 0.33 - Cx x A: 0.71

I'm not sure how reliable the top speed Cartest calculated is, but I'd tend to claim that top speed should be higher than 177mph (284 kph), rather 185mph.
What rpm did you calculate for the topspeed in 7th, how much shorter could it be?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #303
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I'm not sure how reliable the top speed Cartest calculated is, but I'd tend to claim that top speed should be higher than 177mph (284 kph), rather 185mph.
What rpm did you calculate for the topspeed in 7th, how much shorter could it be?

Best regards, south

Here is the thread with the sim that I ran.... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107681

With Sportauto's tested Cd of 0.33, the sim using 0.29 should have yield better results for the sim.

Car Assumptions:

M3 6MT

M3 M DCT
      01-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #304
southlight
Rep

I'm not sure if I read your data correctly, does it say that 6MT reaches 177mph in 5th gear and DCT 178 mph in 6th gear? If so that'd be wrong.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #305
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Gear for top speed

Quote:
I'm not sure if I read your data correctly, does it say that 6MT reaches 177mph in 5th gear and DCT 178 mph in 6th gear? If so that'd be wrong.

Best regards, south
You sure--I always heard top speed on the manual was achieved in 5th because of drag limitation in 6th.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #306
southlight
Rep

Quote:
You sure--I always heard top speed on the manual was achieved in 5th because of drag limitation in 6th.
The limited top speed of 155mph is being reached in 5th gear. The M3 can go faster and needs the 6th gear (7th for DCT) to do so since 5th only reaches till 164mph.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #307
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The limited top speed of 155mph is being reached in 5th gear. The M3 can go faster and needs the 6th gear (7th for DCT) to do so since 5th only reaches till 164mph.

Best regards, south
Guess that was the E46 I was thinking of. thanks

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #308
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:

Best regards, south
South I agree with your opinion, the Audi R8 has a worse Drag Co than the M3 yet with the same power it WILL reach 186mph.
Appreciate 0