BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-06-2024, 12:17 PM   #287
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Thanks to this forum (and absolutely no thanks to Turner) I do feel I’ve identified the failure point on my system. I haven’t done a full inspection yet but identified a failed seam weld on the rear passenger side on the muffler. When I press on the muffler you can hear an audible change. My guess is that under load/at high rpm’s the metal vibrates since it’s not welded together, and it lets some “unmuffled” exhaust noises out of the muffler box.

I’m still waiting an eternity for my new Supersprint system but this seems very fixable with a new bead welded along this seam.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ipcLhtnk6qI?feature=shared
Attached Images

chicagob5256.50
M3MATT91.00
      01-06-2024, 06:28 PM   #288
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
Thanks to this forum (and absolutely no thanks to Turner) I do feel I’ve identified the failure point on my system. I haven’t done a full inspection yet but identified a failed seam weld on the rear passenger side on the muffler. When I press on the muffler you can hear an audible change. My guess is that under load/at high rpm’s the metal vibrates since it’s not welded together, and it lets some “unmuffled” exhaust noises out of the muffler box.

I’m still waiting an eternity for my new Supersprint system but this seems very fixable with a new bead welded along this seam.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ipcLhtnk6qI?feature=shared
This sounds like a massively good failure to have IMO. If mine eventually results in the same failure, I will most likely get it welded since it is SS.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 1
M3MATT91.00
      01-07-2024, 08:16 PM   #289
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks everyone for the great advice.
I just sent a message to a TMS member in the forum.
I will wait for his reply.
2011 LCI W/DCT / K&N drop in filter / CSF radiator / do88 oil cooler / do88 DCT cooler / Akra Evo / Moton CS 2 way coilover / Wiechers strut bar(F) / ARC strut bar(R) / Alcon Superkit BBK / Tarox rotor / Geoff steel EHPS / Sard carbon-Kevlar GT wing / GT4 carnard / Aim Evo4+G-dash+GT Steering+S/C GP HD / Bride Zeta3 / etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:20 PM   #290
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I would use the warranty to get a new exhaust to then have the bracing work done. Getting titanium clean enough to weld will be tough, otherwise I’ll likely fail again. I’d want to start with as clean a surface as possible!
How did you do the bracing on your exhaust?
Maybe I should do it the same way.
2011 LCI W/DCT / K&N drop in filter / CSF radiator / do88 oil cooler / do88 DCT cooler / Akra Evo / Moton CS 2 way coilover / Wiechers strut bar(F) / ARC strut bar(R) / Alcon Superkit BBK / Tarox rotor / Geoff steel EHPS / Sard carbon-Kevlar GT wing / GT4 carnard / Aim Evo4+G-dash+GT Steering+S/C GP HD / Bride Zeta3 / etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:31 PM   #291
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevaland9 View Post
So after brining both broken SS and Ti mufflers to my friends fab shop, i had him laser cut open the SS one to inspect the baffles inside. To my surprise, there wasn't actually anything broken inside the muffler. I was a bit surprised to see that there was no fiberglass insulation inside the muffler, def explains the hollow, metallic sound the exhaust makes (sounds good imo) but it also explains why theres kind of a weird resonance around 2-3k.

We also discovered that the sides of the muffler (L & R) are absolutely too thin.

Additionally omgzirra_exe comment was correct. Good eye, there is indeed a crack! Both mufflers cracked on the thin side walls! The Ti version actually started splitting around the seam and the SS one cracked along the weld for the pipe exiting out of the side. Interestingly enough, both cracks are on the passenger side of the muffler.

SS Muffler:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BcA...usp=drive_link

Cut open:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bgs...usp=drive_link

Ti Muffler:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BdX...usp=drive_link

The current Ti on my car hasnt started showing any issues but it does seem the thin sides are kind of ballooning outwards.

So my friend is going CNC some 1/8-1/4" plates for the sides and weld a thicker bead around the seams that split. This should solve the issue with the thin walls and prevent any future cracking. Ill keep you guys posted on my reengineered muffler solution. This should make the muffler pretty solid, we shall see.
Could you let me know how you did the reinforcement work?
I am also thinking about ways to reinforce the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 09:57 PM   #292
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76 View Post
How did you do the bracing on your exhaust?
Maybe I should do it the same way.
I don’t have a Turner exhaust. Just have gone through titanium exhaust parts and I haven’t had success finding skilled welder that would rework or repair titanium that had seen exhaust.
      01-08-2024, 11:58 AM   #293
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'm not going to create a separate "Turner Bashing Thread" but I just want to say they've been horrible to work with ever since I reached out saying the Titanium System failed months ago. No desire to remedy this for our community.

I'm happy to see the self-sufficiency of our community in solving the issue. Seems easy enough. Good luck to all!
      01-09-2024, 06:25 PM   #294
GinTonic
Private First Class
Rep

^I'm determined to never buy anything that has Turner stamped on it. They did their part helping out rectifying the issue but after the second unit failed, I had to poke them to make sure they were making due. I recall getting an email playing it off like it wasn't an issue and that was the nature of the exhaust. I've also seen posts of their BBK rotors fail prematurely after 1 track day. Turner may be a great vendor to buy from but I definitely wont be buying their in house manufactured products. I don't know where they make their in house components but it seems the means and methods of manufacturing is poor.

I'm sure you will receive your SS exhaust - I waited about a month for mine which was shipped directly from Italy.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 12:53 AM   #295
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinTonic View Post
^I'm determined to never buy anything that has Turner stamped on it. They did their part helping out rectifying the issue but after the second unit failed, I had to poke them to make sure they were making due. I recall getting an email playing it off like it wasn't an issue and that was the nature of the exhaust. I've also seen posts of their BBK rotors fail prematurely after 1 track day. Turner may be a great vendor to buy from but I definitely wont be buying their in house manufactured products. I don't know where they make their in house components but it seems the means and methods of manufacturing is poor.

I'm sure you will receive your SS exhaust - I waited about a month for mine which was shipped directly from Italy.
Would that include their wheel spacers, too? Lol I find their wheel spacers to be well made compared to the MS spacers I have. Their F8x <= 10 mm-thick spacers come with an integrated hub extender.

Yeah, I’ve followed the issues with the SS and Ti versions from the beginning. What a nightmare it’s been.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 01:18 PM   #296
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Question

Quote:
I'm not going to create a separate "Turner Bashing Thread" but I just want to say they've been horrible to work with ever since I reached out saying the Titanium System failed months ago. No desire to remedy this for our community.

I'm happy to see the self-sufficiency of our community in solving the issue. Seems easy enough. Good luck to all!
Any updates or further outcomes to share?

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 02:52 PM   #297
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

i brought it up to a ECS employee on the M3 facebook group and he said he had no idea of any issues even though he has the titanium exhaust lmao.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 08:30 PM   #298
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I’m currrntly fighting them for a refund. I have store credit for the full amount but they refused a refund because it’s been over a year since I ordered the SS system. So I bought their product, spent a year trouble shooting and attempting to make it a good outcome and then said sorry this isn’t working and they are trying to penalize me for it. I’m sure I’ll get my refund. Just annoying I have to fight for it.
      01-14-2024, 12:53 PM   #299
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Angry

Quote:
I’m currrntly fighting them for a refund. I have store credit for the full amount but they refused a refund because it’s been over a year since I ordered the SS system. So I bought their product, spent a year trouble shooting and attempting to make it a good outcome and then said sorry this isn’t working and they are trying to penalize me for it. I’m sure I’ll get my refund. Just annoying I have to fight for it.
Damn shame...Turner is "penny wise, pound foolish". Seems the Lifetime Replacement more a marketing ploy than true product backing; likely attempt to distract from FCPEuro.

Ever get this issue escalated from regular customer service to higher management levels?

I was going for the Ti version until 'fully' reading these posts & experiences

Appreciate sharing evolution from purchase/install to actual product performance.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 02:07 PM   #300
red998
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG '10 6MT

Oh damn...should have checked this forum before I finalized my exhaust choice.
Thank you for the great directions though.
I went with titanium. Sounds great fits well. I used the poweflex replacements for the
bushing mounting near rear bumper and the square shape bushing.

I also picked up the Amazon blue color pump. Someone mentioned running the tubing
by the battery and I located rubber cover I was able to route the tubing through into the trunk area.Fingers crossed
Just need to make a cigarette lighter connection in trunk area.
But will see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 04:46 PM   #301
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
i brought it up to a ECS employee on the M3 facebook group and he said he had no idea of any issues even though he has the titanium exhaust lmao.
I think about that every time this post comes up. Over a year on mine and no issues. What percentage of the whole does this forum actually cover? I think in this thread there’s 3 or 4 different people with issues? Out of how many sold?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 05:53 PM   #302
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
I think about that every time this post comes up. Over a year on mine and no issues. What percentage of the whole does this forum actually cover? I think in this thread there’s 3 or 4 different people with issues? Out of how many sold?
Agreed Ajolives ...we do not know actual product failure rates or XXX units sold.

With that, fourm anecdotal experiences shared provide clear indicators for concern/question, especially for a +$2.3K "Turner Brand" product.

Personally, Turner price is not the issue; otherwise, simply acquire an Alibaba Ti exhaust direct, understanding a 'dice roll' then accept the risk.

I was 100% prepared to purchase the Ti valved exhaust based on Turner/ECS Brand, overall reputation, multiple previous purchases, and their continued/extensive products for e9X M3s...most recently Lifetime Replacement.
Cause for Pause
Customer Service/Support:
  • Turner Resolution(s) - Unsat based on posts; inconsistent messaging along with store credit vs refund for a factually demostrated defective product
  • Quality - Seems both SS & Ti are prone to cracks; very early in lifecycle
  • Customer 'Costs' - If not DIY for exhaust swaps, customer losses $$$ incurred for multiple shop services + potential downtime, return pack/ship hassles, etc.
Earlier post noted, Turner valved exhausts sourced from Italy...that accurate?

Damn disappointing OR am I missing something here...comments?

Last edited by smokinjoe64; 01-14-2024 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
M3MATT91.00
      01-14-2024, 06:26 PM   #303
GinTonic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post

You have it mixed up - There is a post saying the Turner exhaust is manufactured in China. Supersprint exhausts are manufactured in Italy.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 07:03 PM   #304
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
Agreed Ajolives ...we do not know actual product failure rates or XXX units sold.

With that, fourm anecdotal experiences shared provide clear indicators for concern/question, especially for a +$2.3K "Turner Brand" product.

Personally, Turner price is not the issue; otherwise, simply acquire an Alibaba Ti exhaust direct, understanding a 'dice roll' then accept the risk.

I was 100% prepared to purchase the Ti valved exhaust based on Turner/ECS Brand, overall reputation, multiple previous purchases, and their continued/extensive products for e9X M3s...most recently Lifetime Replacement.
Cause for Pause
Customer Service/Support:

Turner Resolution(s) - Unsat based on posts; inconsistent messaging along with store credit vs refund for a factually demostrated defective product
Quality - Seems both SS & Ti are prone to cracks; very early in lifecycle
Customer 'Costs' - If not DIY for exhaust swaps, customer losses $$$ incurred for multiple shop services + potential downtime, return pack/ship hassles, etc.

Damn disappointing OR am I missing something here...comments?
Yea that’s a great summary and pretty obvious to anyone who can read. I was just genuinely curious about the numbers, and not questioning your decisions to whether or not to buy an aftermarket exhaust.
Appreciate 1
M3MATT91.00
      01-14-2024, 07:17 PM   #305
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by red998 View Post
Oh damn...should have checked this forum before I finalized my exhaust choice.
Thank you for the great directions though.
I went with titanium. Sounds great fits well. I used the poweflex replacements for the
bushing mounting near rear bumper and the square shape bushing.

I also picked up the Amazon blue color pump. Someone mentioned running the tubing
by the battery and I located rubber cover I was able to route the tubing through into the trunk area.Fingers crossed
Just need to make a cigarette lighter connection in trunk area.
But will see what happens.
I used the Amazon vacuum pump kit. Placed the pump in the spare tire well area under the trunk liner and connected it to the positive terminal on the battery with the fuse holder that came with the kit and grounded to the chassis. No need for any cigarette lighter.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 11:01 PM   #306
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Arrow

Quote:
Quote:
Yea that’s a great summary and pretty obvious to anyone who can read. I was just genuinely curious about the numbers, and not questioning your decisions to whether or not to buy an aftermarket exhaust.
Overall comments/thoughts for the broader forum community assessment...not intended as a 'dig'.

Appreciate 1
Ajolives923.50
      01-15-2024, 02:49 AM   #307
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
want me to dm you the guys name on facebook who works at ECS? lol
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 09:15 AM   #308
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Haha maybe. Let me try to get a resolution today and I’ll let you know.