BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #265
moosety2009
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Maserati spyder/BMW z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009...-is-built.aspx

Pretty cool thread about how the GTR is built.
you beat me to posting it
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #266
Quacker
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
A 997tt is not twice the money of a GTR in America. A well optioned 2009 tt will cost (my was less in 2007) about $138K. A similarly equipped GTR costs $86K? When I multiply 86 X 2 I don't get 138, maybe it's me.

I do believe that the 911tt has better quality than a GTR, just like a GTR has slightly better build quality than a Corvette. I do not believe that a tt has close to $50k more quality but that's the price of admission. Just like if price was no object some would prefer a f430 although not really much if any faster than a turbo. I/we don't buy exotic type cars (I'm including the GTR here) with value as the first priority. I'll save buying the Honda for that.
I understand that a lot of the purchases we make, we do not take value for the dollar as the first priority. But you said that, "we get what we pay for" and i am challenging that statement based on a 'bang for buck' mentality.
I also believe that the 997tt is not a better built car than the GTR. GTR has better transmission, better AWD system, better electronics, better aerodynamic and better engine response. The only thing the 997tt is better than the GTR is the leather, and i don't think leather is worth 10k more - let alone 50k.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 01:53 AM   #267
e90BlkM3
Rep
Drives: bmw

I dont know about you guys,
what will you do when you see one on the street?
A hatting on it
B admire it
C pretend didnt see it exit the freeway quickly
D Do a ricer fly by

I was in my friends GTR couple times... Most comment its C specially when we see C63 , M3 or ISF

Supersilver I have to admit thats the most amazing color i have seem .
And i tried! Tired! every single gear he smoke me badly -_- need get SC kit soon

really dont know why you guys hatting on it so much . we pick M3 for other reason DD
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #268
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I understand that a lot of the purchases we make, we do not take value for the dollar as the first priority. But you said that, "we get what we pay for" and i am challenging that statement based on a 'bang for buck' mentality.
I also believe that the 997tt is not a better built car than the GTR. GTR has better transmission, better AWD system, better electronics, better aerodynamic and better engine response. The only thing the 997tt is better than the GTR is the leather, and i don't think leather is worth 10k more - let alone 50k.
Imo, the 997tt has more than $10k of value built in; it does not have $50k, however, it is what it is. I won't go on about what I think is better about the turbo or what I think is better about the GTR as it is arguably subjective.

I have seen the building process of the GTR before. It is no less impressive seeing it again. Kudos to Nissan for that. As impressive as it is, I still wouldn't buy one and didn't after having two pre-price hike opportunities.

Last edited by devo; 07-30-2009 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #269
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Imo, the 997tt has more than $10k of value built in; it does not have $50k, however, it is what it is. I won't go on about what I think is better about the turbo or what I think is better about the GTR as it is arguably subjective.
I happen to agree with you devo.

When buying a Porsche, Lamboghini, Ferrari etc, you are paying something towards to name and the brand image that comes with it, how much one values that at is up for debate. Though in saying all that the Nissan GTR is probably the best built/engineered motorcar in it's price bracket by a country mile and the only reason it's £57k and not £90k is the brand image and nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #270
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90BlkM3 View Post
A hatting on it
B admire it
D Do a ricer fly by

I was in my friends GTR couple times... Most comment its C specially when we see C63 , M3 or ISF

And i tried! Tired! every single gear he smoke me badly -_- need get SC kit soon

really dont know why you guys hatting on it so much . we pick M3 for other reason DD
how does someone write this badly?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #271
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosety2009 View Post
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009...-is-built.aspx

If you need a better way to gauge quality.
That really does not allow one to measure or establish "quality". A production line for a lower cost, higher volume vehicle, perhaps even one with much less quality will appear more impressive as it is much more automated. There is also the concept that with todays automated assembly that built by robot is likely better (i.e. better quality) then built by hand. The choice is one totally about investment and volume - volume determines build style and level of automation nearly completely.

Furthermore "quality" is a fairly imprecise term. Quality can be nothing more than perfect adherence to engineering drawings. However, if the drawing have specified a bad design or bad materials then most will agree the quality is not good. Common conceptions/connotation of quality in automobiles include such diverse points (certainly not limited to and not in any particular order):
  • Material selection
  • Reliability
  • Paint appearance
  • Cost and feel of interior materials
  • Body panel gaps - size and uniformity
  • Attention to detail - covers, wiring, grommets, finish of places not typically seen
  • Durability
  • Adherence to engineering drawings (perhaps statistical)
  • Ergonomics and feel of interior, buttons/controls
  • Customer satisfaction
  • Absense of defects
  • Effectiveness of safety systems

Many of these items are quite objective, however, many are very subjective as well.

So in conclusion when one wishes to discuss "quality" one should be much more precise.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #272
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
how does someone write this badly?
too much
      07-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #273
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90BlkM3 View Post
A hatting on it
B admire it
D Do a ricer fly by

Wow....worse spelling than my undergraduate students. America is becoming illiterate.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #274
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Perhaps english is not his first language?

No need to make fun.....

We're all adults here aren't we?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #275
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

So I had the Performance Optimization Service done. (POS)

They should've picked some different wording for that one.

Anyway, all is good. Transmission seems "quicker" now. Gear engagement is more abrupt in R mode.

The acceleration is addictive..... on paper, the M3 doesn't seem like it would feel THAT much slower, but wow what a difference.

I gave AMJ77 a ride. I think he was impressed to say the least.

Zero buyers remorse so far. This thing was a steal at 109k CDN out the door.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #276
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
too much
Too much car sketching?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 08:07 AM   #277
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Wow....worse spelling than my undergraduate students. America is becoming illiterate.
That's not nice. Can you speak his native language better than he does? I don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 09:53 AM   #278
YUN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

DC area is full of snobs like that, what drives me even more crazy is that most of them aren't smartest people either. Plain arrogant on your part SUB-ZERO.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #279
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
You own both cars?

Is the GTR worth the extra 30k?
Yes, I have both.

My M3 optioned out was 93k CDN so to me, only a difference of 16K.

Is it worth it?

I was unsure before I bought it but, now I'd say yes.

That crazy level of power coupled with an amazing transmission with AWD makes my pecker stand up straight. It also makes up for some shortcomings like lack of auto headlights, memory seats etc.

Drifting around corners with all the wheels spinning is something else!

The GTR is a whole new level of fun & performance. But as I have said before, M3 is the way to go for a drive longer than 2 hours.

A controversial car it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #280
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUN View Post
DC area is full of snobs like that, what drives me even more crazy is that most of them aren't smartest people either. Plain arrogant on your part SUB-ZERO.
Just realized that I was acting like a douche bag.....sorry. I wrote this a few days ago in anger after a student turned in her paper and it was terrible. Actually, I teach at a local university in DC part time and many of the students are foreign so their English is terrible.

They cannot understand that in order to graduate from an American University you must learn how to read and write.

Anyways.....sorry guys! Didn't want to hurt anyone or put them down.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #281
///Monster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuVan View Post
maintenance

Living the Dream
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #282
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not enough room!!!

I got my awnser!

Believe it or not i found the awnser i was looking for by reading this thread. "well most of it". After a long day at work and stressed out i want to get home fast but feel relaxed. And living in Vegas i find myself usually with all the windows down to enjoy fresh air 9 months out of the year.
I also drive to AZ UT CA for the mountain winding twisties but usually rent a porsche or ferrari for a day or 7. Test drove the M3 and for me NA engines are heart warming and truely feel like passion is what drives them.

So the local BMW dealer is going to be taking my order for an M3 convertible.

Now on to the thread about ED for M cars. Im still gonna do it just want to know what to expect. A VACATION IS IN ORDER!

New to forum please be gentle!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #283
moosety2009
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
Believe it or not i found the awnser i was looking for by reading this thread. "well most of it". After a long day at work and stressed out i want to get home fast but feel relaxed. And living in Vegas i find myself usually with all the windows down to enjoy fresh air 9 months out of the year.
I also drive to AZ UT CA for the mountain winding twisties but usually rent a porsche or ferrari for a day or 7. Test drove the M3 and for me NA engines are heart warming and truely feel like passion is what drives them.

So the local BMW dealer is going to be taking my order for an M3 convertible.

Now on to the thread about ED for M cars. Im still gonna do it just want to know what to expect. A VACATION IS IN ORDER!

New to forum please be gentle!
Congrats, You'll love the m3! Add a supercharger to it when you get a chance and then its all over! Nothing replaces the awsome sound of a high-reving v8!

With all of the above, I still love my GTR! Sounds like a jet fighter at 6k
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #284
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not enough room!!!

thx moostey!

I rode in the GTR also and i was truelly impressed. But there seems to be something missing. Its far too effortless to get up to speed and maybe i didn't have enough seat time in it, even though i know it can outperform the F430s ive had pleasure of driving; its sheer size and mass is hard to get your fingers around. And when you actually do commit to a tight corner at speed, that noise from the tires DRDRDRDRDRDRRDRDRDRRDRDRDRDRDR as if it somehow understeers at the front AND at the back. Its a weird feeling i could not get used to. And at the end you find yourself flying out of the corner in one piece doing a ridiculous velocity.

I respect a car that can kill me, but one that saves my ass makes me feel like a noobie. Its like playing counterstrike with aimbot on.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #285
moosety2009
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
thx moostey!

I rode in the GTR also and i was truelly impressed. But there seems to be something missing. Its far too effortless to get up to speed and maybe i didn't have enough seat time in it, even though i know it can outperform the F430s ive had pleasure of driving; its sheer size and mass is hard to get your fingers around. And when you actually do commit to a tight corner at speed, that noise from the tires DRDRDRDRDRDRRDRDRDRRDRDRDRDRDR as if it somehow understeers at the front AND at the back. Its a weird feeling i could not get used to. And at the end you find yourself flying out of the corner in one piece doing a ridiculous velocity.

I respect a car that can kill me, but one that saves my ass makes me feel like a noobie. Its like playing counterstrike with aimbot on.
Dr. G, I totally understand what you mean! It defies the laws of physics. I mean I've taken some harsh corners at amazing velocity going into turns, you swear your going to understeer the hell out of the car and possibly just roll it, but it amazingly doesn't! I just makes a tire sounds and somehow throws counter centripetal force into it to just keep you alive and in line!

I had an 05 Maserati spyder before My GTR and that thing was notorious for body roll! While I loved the m3, the exhaust note and engine sound on my Maser was in a different league! But I do remember the M3 being the most enjoyable car i had driven.

The GTR and M3 really are two different cars. Turbos vs NA. Turbos sound great if you are into the turbo sound! But if you crave the V8, that sound is just awsome! I guess what we all really need is Twin Turbo V8's! BMW has it and will be coming out with such in their next M itteration!

Anywho, enjoy the M and the convertible mode! get a mid-pipe and new tubes in the back and listen to the concert of the V8 rumble!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #286
Quacker
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Quote:
thx moostey!

LOL. Most people can only extract 7 tenths out of a GTR. You think you are going fast, but you can even go faster. Try pushing it harder and ill bet you that you'll come out of the car with shit in your pants.

That's the problem with people, they drive the GTR for a little bit here and there and think that it drives itself because it is so competent. Little do they realize that they're driving it to nowhere near it's potential. At it's full limit, it is just as scary as the widow maker 911.
Appreciate 0