BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

03-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #265
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorBeamer View Post
Hey guys,

I still can not choose between de Carsara and the Kremersino.

So one more question to finally help me to make a decision:

Is it possible to mirror you (iPhone) screen wireless to the Carsara unit?
The Kremersino claims it can, see this video at 07:55.

Hope you have the answer!
Thanks in advance!

Yes it's possible, my personal experience for the Carsara though is it is a bit of a pain in the ass because of how the iPhone handles hopping between the two. If you want to frequently switch between mirroring and Carplay it's not ideal, but remember that these boxes are almost all using the same basic GPLink architecture so the capabilities are all basically the same with some slightly different UI.

In my case it was easier to pair my Android device when I wanted to watch a video and leave Carplay enabled by default than it was to forget the carplay settings and switch to Airplay.
      03-18-2021, 02:50 PM   #266
FloorBeamer
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Yes it's possible, my personal experience for the Carsara though is it is a bit of a pain in the ass because of how the iPhone handles hopping between the two. If you want to frequently switch between mirroring and Carplay it's not ideal, but remember that these boxes are almost all using the same basic GPLink architecture so the capabilities are all basically the same with some slightly different UI.

In my case it was easier to pair my Android device when I wanted to watch a video and leave Carplay enabled by default than it was to forget the carplay settings and switch to Airplay.

Hey Cyberdemon,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Carsara!

I saw the difficulty with switching between CarPlay and mirroring as you mentioned popping up on different fora as wel. Same for every brand.

As you said: all boxes are roughly the same. The Kremersino advertises with an audio chip that should output lossless audio:
“ DSP Amplifier Chip
Using DSP chip, enjoy the lossless sound quality of the original car”

That would be the only reason left to choose them but maybe it is just a (commercial) way to distinguish themself from the rest?

Thanks again!

Last edited by FloorBeamer; 03-18-2021 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 04:07 PM   #267
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hey Cyberdemon,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Carsara!

I saw the difficulty with switching between CarPlay and mirroring as you mentioned popping up on different fora as wel. Same for every brand.

As you said: all boxes are roughly the same. The Kremersino advertises with an audio chip that should output lossless audio:
“ DSP Amplifier Chip
Using DSP chip, enjoy the lossless sound quality of the original car”

That would be the only reason left to choose them but maybe it is just a (commercial) way to distinguish themself from the rest?

Thanks again!
If you look at BrettCP's review of the V3:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1373

The Kremersino (actually not a GPlink Unit for V3) is supposed to have very good audio output using the 3.5mm jack. The Carsara box has very good output if you code to accept audio over the quadlock. It seems most of the signal degradation occurs over the 3.5mm cable itself, either due to cable quality, shielding, or any other number of reasons.

Claiming "Lossless" audio over the Aux either way is a bit misleading. It's an analog signal and it's just a question of signal to noise. If the signal is too low, turning the gain/volume up increases the distortion.

The V3 unit was more expensive and didn't reuse the built in microphone, it also lacked a built in EQ which may or may not matter. Otherwise I'm completely happy with the Carsara box including the audio quality once it's dialed in.

If the V3 uses a different chipset then it may play more nicely with Airplay, but in my experience, the issue stems from the fact that both Airplay and Carplay rely on the iPhone's pairing/wifi search process for the same SSID. The phone does not like seeing two functions for the same SSID which is why the only way I was able to figure it out was to un-pair everything, forget the wifi SSID, then set it up again. There MAY be an easier way, I know some others have had trouble and truthfully, I don't watch TV in my car. I drive it and listen to music, so my incentive to pair Airplay was just to test it out.
      03-19-2021, 04:26 AM   #268
FloorBeamer
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Quote:

The Kremersino (actually not a GPlink Unit for V3) is supposed to have very good audio output using the 3.5mm jack. The Carsara box has very good output if you code to accept audio over the quadlock. It seems most of the signal degradation occurs over the 3.5mm cable itself, either due to cable quality, shielding, or any other number of reasons.

Claiming "Lossless" audio over the Aux either way is a bit misleading. It's an analog signal and it's just a question of signal to noise. If the signal is too low, turning the gain/volume up increases the distortion.

The V3 unit was more expensive and didn't reuse the built in microphone, it also lacked a built in EQ which may or may not matter. Otherwise I'm completely happy with the Carsara box including the audio quality once it's dialed in.

If the V3 uses a different chipset then it may play more nicely with Airplay, but in my experience, the issue stems from the fact that both Airplay and Carplay rely on the iPhone's pairing/wifi search process for the same SSID. The phone does not like seeing two functions for the same SSID which is why the only way I was able to figure it out was to un-pair everything, forget the wifi SSID, then set it up again. There MAY be an easier way, I know some others have had trouble and truthfully, I don't watch TV in my car. I drive it and listen to music, so my incentive to pair Airplay was just to test it out.

I hear what you are saying..

I saw your previous posts about the coding. It seems not that hard to do, but I first need to acquire the gear to make it happen. That is probably gonna cost a bit as wel.

For now the price difference between both units is negligible: Kremersino is €10 more expensive. For me, not willing or able to code, Kremersino seems the easiest way for ‘better’ audio.. Although the only way to really compare is installing both units in the same car.. Not my ideal way of passing time ;-)

I am still waiting for some answers from Kremersino and at the end of March there will be another sale on AliExpress so the big decision will be upon me then!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 07:25 AM   #269
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I hear what you are saying..

I saw your previous posts about the coding. It seems not that hard to do, but I first need to acquire the gear to make it happen. That is probably gonna cost a bit as wel.

For now the price difference between both units is negligible: Kremersino is €10 more expensive. For me, not willing or able to code, Kremersino seems the easiest way for ‘better’ audio.. Although the only way to really compare is installing both units in the same car.. Not my ideal way of passing time ;-)

I am still waiting for some answers from Kremersino and at the end of March there will be another sale on AliExpress so the big decision will be upon me then!
FWIW, these cars it's almost a requirement to have a code reader anyways so getting a Bluetooth dongle and BimmerCode or a similar app is a sub $100 investment and lots of other uses. Or plenty of people on Facebook who might be local and willing to help out. My F series was coded for a case of beer.

For me personally I take a lot of phone calls on the road and call quality and mic integration was important.
      03-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #270
Bamboo123
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e91

sorry for posting on 2 different threads just seeing which one is more active but yeah

went to code out

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv

However CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B was already on nicht_aktiv ? anyone else had the same ? Not sure if it will still work i will be attempting to fit the box tomorrow or in the next few days! bimmercode work a wonder and it was pretty quick and easy to change the value so lets hope it works and i can use the harness over the AUX cable!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #271
WeekendV8
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Hello, I'm planning on installing the Carsara unit in a week or 2. I've been reading this thread and the other Carplay thread and I am wondering at what point of the install should I be coding those 3 values? Can it not be done after everything has been hooked up?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 08:18 PM   #272
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendV8 View Post
Hello, I'm planning on installing the Carsara unit in a week or 2. I've been reading this thread and the other Carplay thread and I am wondering at what point of the install should I be coding those 3 values? Can it not be done after everything has been hooked up?

Thanks.
Code it before installation. The CarPlay box interferes with getting the connection to the CIC. It's written up in my installation tips.
      03-19-2021, 11:49 PM   #273
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Cyberdemon thank you for detailed write up! Been wanting to update my e92 M3 with CarPlay and backup cam for the last few months.

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on Carrara, i do have a quick question does any one have a recommendation on a good OBDII i can purchase on Amazon to use with bimmercode?
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 08:07 AM   #274
G0FNDM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
Cyberdemon thank you for detailed write up! Been wanting to update my e92 M3 with CarPlay and backup cam for the last few months.

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on Carrara, i do have a quick question does any one have a recommendation on a good OBDII i can purchase on Amazon to use with bimmercode?
Ive been using this one for over a year with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetoo..._m_rp_c_2_1_sc
      03-20-2021, 12:58 PM   #275
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

hi guys, spent around 3 hours fitting the whole lot, managed to code out aux in arm rest! Car plays works however every now again i get red screen and the mmi box reboot it self?
i dont know is it the faulty mmi box or have i fitted it wrong ? the only thing i can think off i done wrong was the idrive low/high conntor i fitted wrong so i try fitting A in to B and L left unplug and then switch to A unpluged and B in to L plug I did not use the loop connector maybe that is my problem ?but i still get same result i spent over 1 hour trying to figure out what did i do wrong spent another 2 hours trying to fix this problem by unplugging everything and trying again but no luck! anyone had similar problems? i dont know if it matters but i left the USB connector unplugged as i do not need it ?

also does anyone have the MIC settings im getting report of people can hear themself over carplay.

Last edited by Bamboo123; 03-20-2021 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 09:22 PM   #276
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo123 View Post
hi guys, spent around 3 hours fitting the whole lot, managed to code out aux in arm rest! Car plays works however every now again i get red screen and the mmi box reboot it self?
i dont know is it the faulty mmi box or have i fitted it wrong ? the only thing i can think off i done wrong was the idrive low/high conntor i fitted wrong so i try fitting A in to B and L left unplug and then switch to A unpluged and B in to L plug I did not use the loop connector maybe that is my problem ?but i still get same result i spent over 1 hour trying to figure out what did i do wrong spent another 2 hours trying to fix this problem by unplugging everything and trying again but no luck! anyone had similar problems? i dont know if it matters but i left the USB connector unplugged as i do not need it ?

also does anyone have the MIC settings im getting report of people can hear themself over carplay.
Have you reinstalled everything?

The intermittent red screen is often related to a LVDS cable that isn't seated well. Try taking the CIC unit out and with the cables loose see if you still have the issue. If it works when loose, try to neatly dress the cables in the voids behind and around the unit so it doesn't pinch or twist anything.
      03-20-2021, 11:12 PM   #277
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
sorry for posting on 2 different threads just seeing which one is more active but yeah

went to code out

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv

However CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B was already on nicht_aktiv ? anyone else had the same ? Not sure if it will still work i will be attempting to fit the box tomorrow or in the next few days! bimmercode work a wonder and it was pretty quick and easy to change the value so lets hope it works and i can use the harness over the AUX cable!
I believe mine was also already set as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 11:17 PM   #278
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysgoing View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here and proud new owner of a '13 M3 E92!

Couple extra tips I found:

-To adjust gps/waze guidance volume, go to the audio settings of the unit and change "Alter Volume". My settings below:

Attachment 2552929

-EQ is a work in progress, but I did realize that leaving the unit EQ standard and adjusting on iDrive is way better and with less distortion:

Attachment 2552930

Attachment 2552931

Cheers!
I can confirm "alter volume" sets the nav voice volume for me. I don't have all the same options as you though. No "music" or "speech" option for me. Not sure if that means mine needs a software update.

Cyberdemon can you update your first post with this info please?
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2021, 06:52 AM   #279
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Have you reinstalled everything?

The intermittent red screen is often related to a LVDS cable that isn't seated well. Try taking the CIC unit out and with the cables loose see if you still have the issue. If it works when loose, try to neatly dress the cables in the voids behind and around the unit so it doesn't pinch or twist anything.
yes, ive reinstall everything even try swapping the cables over on the mmi box which made it worst and carplay wouldnt work. Its weird because i can sit there testing carplay switching backwards and forwards on idrive and it will sudden red screen and reboot the mmi box and it will work again (need to manually connect to carplay again)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 08:04 AM   #280
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Quote:
yes, ive reinstall everything even try swapping the cables over on the mmi box which made it worst and carplay wouldnt work. Its weird because i can sit there testing carplay switching backwards and forwards on idrive and it will sudden red screen and reboot the mmi box and it will work again (need to manually connect to carplay again)

ok, so i went out for a drive today its no longer red screen went for a drive and it goes into black screen and disconnect apple carplay and goes back to mmi front screen it happen twice in my 20 minute test drive. Does it still sound like a problem with cables or its the mmi box faulty ?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 08:32 AM   #281
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red bla

Quote:
Quote:

ok, so i went out for a drive today its no longer red screen went for a drive and it goes into black screen and disconnect apple carplay and goes back to mmi front screen it happen twice in my 20 minute test drive. Does it still sound like a problem with cables or its the mmi box faulty ?
Sounds like you may have a bad wiring harness.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 08:37 AM   #282
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighindu79 View Post
Maybe, however the Idrive is completely fine no issue with it at all, so when it black screen i could go stright to idrive and its completely fine there

also like to point out, when the mmi works it is a very decent upgrade imo the sound going through the harness is pretty decent as well overall i do recommend it if anyone wants it, however if your fitting it yourself get ready to swear because i have cut my hands multiple times be prepare lol. Going redo everything 1 more time tomorrow as i really dont know what else it could be other then a faulty cable/box its driving me insane as it is not the easiest thing to do as i got to disconnect battery every time due to being automatic have to put it in drive then take out battery otherwise it will drain my battery

Last edited by Bamboo123; 03-21-2021 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #283
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red bla

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe, however the Idrive is completely fine no issue with it at all, so when it black screen i could go stright to idrive and its completely fine there
I had a similar type of issue with a kremersino unit. I can't even remember how many hours I spent trying to troubleshoot. the Idrive side worked perfectly fine but the switch to caplay side would cut out as soon as I plugged in the ac console connectors. I ended up returning that unit and the manufacturer confirmed that it was a faulty wiring harness. these manufacturers aren't the best at quality control. I would ask the manufacturer for a replacement wiring harness before you drive yourself crazy trying to troubleshoot.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #284
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Quote:
I had a similar type of issue with a kremersino unit. I can't even remember how many hours I spent trying to troubleshoot. the Idrive side worked perfectly fine but the switch to caplay side would cut out as soon as I plugged in the ac console connectors. I ended up returning that unit and the manufacturer confirmed that it was a faulty wiring harness. these manufacturers aren't the best at quality control. I would ask the manufacturer for a replacement wiring harness before you drive yourself crazy trying to troubleshoot.
thanks mate! i have just updated the above post sorry lol. But yeah it is driving me crazy i think im going take it apart 1 more time and redo everything again for the 4th time just to make sure its not my end! going out tomorrow with a fresh mind rather then being stressed out and try my luck again. If that still dont work then i see if the UK seller would send me out another unit with harness and i swap them over and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #285
Bungers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i, E91 335d, E46 330d

Fitted one of these today in a mate’s e92. I can’t seem to find any form of updates on the carsara site, anyone know how to check for, or download, an update?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #286
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
thanks mate! i have just updated the above post sorry lol. But yeah it is driving me crazy i think im going take it apart 1 more time and redo everything again for the 4th time just to make sure its not my end! going out tomorrow with a fresh mind rather then being stressed out and try my luck again. If that still dont work then i see if the UK seller would send me out another unit with harness and i swap them over and go from there.
What you're describing makes it sound like it's a possible issue with power or grounding? I would inspect the wiring harness and make sure that you didn't damage any wire insulation or have any kind of a short. The sharp CIC housing could be a problem if the wires weren't tucked away. Also make sure the connectors are firmly seated.

The fact that it works the stops is almost certainly a faulty connection or short over a bad box.