BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)
Closed Thread

06-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #199
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
With the latter part of the conversation, re mixing and matching compounds. I don't necessarily disagree. As long as you sense what the car is delivering and realise you are dedicating time to learn and experience these characteristics directly in person rather than hypothetically.

I once used rear retail Cup2 19" in 265 with a Z221 18" 265 front. I lost the lock nut and couldn't change the rears. Solution? Just send it. Basically a super street tyre with a top tier semi-slick. It was interesting, extremely sensitive to trail brake for example. I did have a video on YT but the beta studio editing completely messed up the audio. I have to wait till fibre gets connected before re-uploading, 4th world internet things.

Did I get a PB? Of course not.
Was it hilariously imbalanced? Yup.
Did I gain experience, finesse and probably pay more attention to controlling this thing esp on pre apex phases of a corner? For sure.
Did I know it was going handle like this? Definitely. Except no one can quantify how "bad" the balance really is until you actually do it.

In relation to the last question and in much finer detail; it's the same as people testing square vs staggered or evaluating various stagger setups.
The key point that I've been stressing is he's clearly not at a level where this is productive IF the goal is improving/focusing on technique.

The productiveness of, let's call them experiments, like these is completely different for a novice/intermediate vs. an advanced/expert driver. My whole point is that for him in particular it is an unproductive way to spend his time on track if the goal is to improve, given his current ability level.

Last edited by tsk94; 06-16-2020 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #200
rhyary
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
Let's agree to disagree
You can do what you want man. I've said it once and I'll say it again, people provide you this constructive criticism in order to help you.

Like I mentioned previously, it seems like you taking your driver improvement quite seriously. Then people will come in and offer advice to try to help you, many of them instructors or with vast amounts of driving experience, yet you shrug it off. I can't think of many instructors or coaches who wouldn't agree that your approach to tire usage isn't holding you back from progressing driving technique at a 'normal' rate. What does your current 'coach' think of the situation? For that matter WHO is coaching you?

If you're still not confident or capable to drive quickly with DSC off with street tires then I think that speaks for itself. If you want to improve you need to eliminate as many variables as possible so you can purely work on technique. Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps you really don't care about improving so you continue along your 'approach'. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with these ever changing, nonsensical tire combination and variations?

I'm pretty sure I saw in another thread that you're running a carbon ceramic Brembo BBK and 4-way motorsport JRZ's. It seems like budget is clearly not an issue, so why not just buy complete sets of tires
I read all advise and carefully analyze the what is being said. But I do reflect and observe that many advise is generic and discount my personal experience.

If my hypothesis corect, contrary to many opinions, that, in the dry, most 100-200tw tires are about the same and most can be mixed front to rear and they can be even be take off from street cars and still will have little affect on lap times. They may not last as long.

So far, it looks like this is the case.

So far, at less then $200 a tire, Objectively speaking, I am doing great.

Will it make me faster when I mount R7 or A7? Well that is the 64k question.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:22 PM   #201
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I read all advise and carefully analyze the what is being said. But I do reflect and observe that many advise is generic and discount my personal experience.

If my hypothesis corect, contrary to many opinions, that, in the dry, most 100-200tw tires are about the same and most can be mixed front to rear and they can be even be take off from street cars and still will have little affect on lap times. They may not last as long.

All these tires are the 'same speed' because you're not driving a lot of them to their potential. Because the fact of the matter is, they aren't all the same speed - some of them vary drastically. They might be the same speed for YOU at your current ability.

That still doesn't explain why you mismatch sets? If they are the same speed why aren't you running the same tires all around - because after all they are the same speed? The tires may still be the same speed, but how they react is different. They have different compounds and tread designs. This leads to differing working temperature ranges, peak grip levels, optimal slip angles and so on.

Again, who are you being coached by and what are their thoughts on your tire situation?
Appreciate 2
Bartledoo2694.50
dparm3857.50
      06-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #202
rhyary
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

All these tires are the 'same speed' because you're not driving a lot of them to their potential. Because the fact of the matter is, they aren't all the same speed - some of them vary drastically. They might be the same speed for YOU at your current ability.

That still doesn't explain why you mismatch sets? If they are the same speed why aren't you running the same tires all around - because after all they are the same speed? The tires may still be the same speed, but how they react is different. They have different compounds and tread designs. This leads to differing working temperature ranges, peak grip levels, optimal slip angles and so on.

Again, who are you being coached by and what are their thoughts on your tire situation?
Exactly, at my level, I am buying tires cheap. Why waste money on tires at my level? I am buying what's available on eBay. Will I do that forever? No. Is it working as designed this year? Yes.

But at my level I do 1:35 at NYST. So far I did not see a single E92 M3 do this lap time.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #203
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Exactly, at my level, I am buying tires cheap. Why waste money on tires at my level? I am buying what's available on eBay. Will I do that forever? No. Is it working as designed this year? Yes.

But at my level I do 1:35 at NYST. So far I did not see a single E92 M3 do this lap time.

I wonder if you even read the posts at this point.

I'll move along now. Best of luck with, whatever, you're doing.
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2694.50
      06-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #204
rhyary
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I wonder if you even read the posts at this point.

I'll move along now. Best of luck with, whatever, you're doing.
My apologies.
It came across the wrong way.

I do read the posts.

Anyway, Next trackday is at LRP and am looking forward to driving instead of typing.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:30 PM   #205
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
My apologies.

I do read the posts.

Anyway, Next trackday is at LRP and am looking forward to driving instead of typing.
sub 60!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #206
rhyary
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Quote:
My apologies.

I do read the posts.

sub 60!
Yes Sir!
Under the tutelage of datka.

Bringing front R7 265/35/19 take off.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 10:53 PM   #207
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 ,2021 M340i

Quote:
Yes Sir!

Front R7? What about rear?
I suggest to bring R7 front and rear in good condition if you want to learn and have fun.
I cant bring my catless m3 to LRP that day but my stock 340i with camber plates on R7s FRONT AND REAR will be fast.
Did I say R7s FRONT AND REAR?
      06-17-2020, 02:58 AM   #208
rhyary
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datka View Post
Quote:
Yes Sir!

Front R7? What about rear?
I suggest to bring R7 front and rear in good condition if you want to learn and have fun.
I cant bring my catless m3 to LRP that day but my stock 340i with camber plates on R7s FRONT AND REAR will be fast.
Did I say R7s FRONT AND REAR?
Ideally yes, R7 all around.
But i have 295/30/19 RR at rear and they should be good enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 06:49 AM   #209
rhyary
Banned
United_States
Rep

A good write up about NYST and setting the track record. Mark does a good job describing NYST accurately. NYST is my home track and I have over 60 trackdays there.

The videos make it look a lot easier than it is, but this track demands attention and concentration and extracting a real fast lap requires a lot of confidence with a dash of bravery thrown in. But I'm a big boy and am comfortable managing my own level of risk.

https://amtmotorsport.com/blogs/news...rack-goes-down

Here is the video:

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #210
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

Aren't you supercharged? An extra 150hp over stock is going to help lap times a lot.

Here's an experiment my coach uses with me: get a Spec Miata AIM Solo data file and overlay it with yours -- and then remove the segments with big straights.
Bartledoo2694.50
      06-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #211
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:

Aren't you supercharged? An extra 150hp over stock is going to help lap times a lot.

Here's an experiment my coach uses with me: get a Spec Miata AIM Solo data file and overlay it with yours -- and then remove the segments with big straights.
Rami has my data from LRP as a go by.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #212
rhyary
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I will be happy to be driving like moose.
One day one can hope.
In the meantime, I can enjoy his data files and dream.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #213
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

One day one can hope.
I am slow compared to several guys on this forum but thanks for the kind words.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 09:18 AM   #214
rhyary
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

One day one can hope.
I am slow compared to several guys on this forum but thanks for the kind words.
I shoot for achievable goals. Jk
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #215
rhyary
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thoughts about Lime Rock Park.

My best time is 1:01. So going below 60 seconds is not a monumental task.

Looking at the data, I am driving slow in specific areas I know I should, and could drive faster.

I am coming to the uphil over 100mph, I am over slowing to 74-76mpg while I know I can do it over 80, and the "jump" I need to be over 80, and I am not.

The issue is not simple, it is not like I don't know what to do, (I had two very good coaching sessions last year by two coaches that are very familiar with LRP)

The issue is timing, and brake less and just plain old good driving.

I am looking forward to June 29th.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #216
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 ,2021 M340i

Quote:

Me too. Most important part is we need dry track to brake all LRP records
      06-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #217
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

Looking at the data, I am driving slow in specific areas I know I should, and could drive faster.

I am coming to the uphil over 100mph, I am over slowing to 74-76mpg while I know I can do it over 80, and the "jump" I need to be over 80, and I am not.

The issue is not simple, it is not like I don't know what to do, (I had two very good coaching sessions last year by two coaches that are very familiar with LRP)

See if you can get a Race Studio file from someone else who has an E92 and knows the track well.
      06-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #218
rhyary
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

See if you can get a Race Studio file from someone else who has an E92 and knows the track well.
I have Thundermoose at 00:56.85
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:24 AM   #219
rhyary
Banned
United_States
Rep

My modified Future Classic front Hubs from Core4 were suppose to be here Saturday but UPS rescheduled to Monday. Grrr
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:27 AM   #220
rhyary
Banned
United_States
Rep

Naked and afraid
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2694.50