BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

12-22-2016, 06:32 AM   #199
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i'm sorry to say, but you guys both got hosed on these brake kits. rears fit like crap... the damn pistons are on the edge of the rotor. i'll bet you'll see some really weird pad wear.
then there are those weird metal... things that appear to be affixed to the brake pads. it looks like they are trying to use longer pads that aren't as wide, so they attached some huge metal guides to keep the pads centered on the pad retainers. this is some mikey mouse shit guys... sorry, send it back.
      12-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #200
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
You cant adjust these unless you machine the calliper internal area and totally reengineer the pad, it would be pointless as by bringing the pad further to the inner edge of the discs would decrease the performance substantially.

Its harder to stop the inner edge of the disc than the outer edge
You want the pads centered on the rotor, and the pistons centered on the pads. Proper pad pressure is important. So important that manufacturers of serious calipers taper piston sizes to counteract the first piston having a bias.
      12-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #201
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'm sorry to say, but you guys both got hosed on these brake kits. rears fit like crap... the damn pistons are on the edge of the rotor. i'll bet you'll see some really weird pad wear.
then there are those weird metal... things that appear to be affixed to the brake pads. it looks like they are trying to use longer pads that aren't as wide, so they attached some huge metal guides to keep the pads centered on the pad retainers. this is some mikey mouse shit guys... sorry, send it back.
You might be right bro...but I've been running this setup since September and everything has worked fine. No weird uneven pad wear and the setup worked good at Laguna even in the wet. I do agree that the pistons are not 100% centered to the rotor as they should be...but I do know for a fact mine sit closer than the other guy's does.

I'm going to buy some Carbotech XP20s soon before I go to Thunderhill in a month or so...we'll see how they fit on this Mickey Mouse setup and I'll report back. haha
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN1182.50
      12-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #202
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

I can't comment yet on this as mine only has been fitted for a day but it already feels and
stops far better than the shitty stock callipers

Once the break in period finishes I'll do some vbox testing to see how much better it is

Maybe the pad location is not ideal but the car is front biased from factory and doing some
reasearch I can't find out how much

At this stage I'm not really worried about it, if it effects braking performance I will address it

Not hosed by any means, not ideal but way better than stock
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #203
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep

2006-2010 Jeep SRT8 utilizes 360x32 front and 350x28 rear rotors with brembo 4 piston calipers. These rotors are similar in size to the e9x M3 rotors. The price point on these brembo calipers are around $700. When I said the price point needs to be 50% less, this is what I meant. I'm not saying this is a better fit than the Lamborghini brembo's, but if someone created a retrofit including brackets, lines, and pads with calipers for around $1,000, they would make a lot of money...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 11:14 PM   #204
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

the problem with srt8 callipers they are not radial mounted so making brackets for them
would be easy but nowhere as rigid as radially mounted callipers

The brackets would be thin and flimsy and those callipers are a lot heavier than radially mounted ones

But it would be cheap
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 12:54 AM   #205
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Ok so after a bit of research I figured out where the rear callipers come from, its from a 2010 Porsche boxster and the front as we already know come from a Audi R8/Gallardo

There is a large range of pads to choose from so sourcing replacements will be cheap

Last edited by martymil; 12-23-2016 at 02:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 08:07 AM   #206
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok so after a bit of research I figured out where the rear callipers come from, its from a 2010 Porsche boxster and the front as we already know come from a Audi R8/Gallardo

There is a large range of pads to choose from so sourcing replacements will be cheap

Porche boxster front or rear caliper?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #207
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_dub View Post
You might be right bro...but I've been running this setup since September and everything has worked fine. No weird uneven pad wear and the setup worked good at Laguna even in the wet. I do agree that the pistons are not 100% centered to the rotor as they should be...but I do know for a fact mine sit closer than the other guy's does.

I'm going to buy some Carbotech XP20s soon before I go to Thunderhill in a month or so...we'll see how they fit on this Mickey Mouse setup and I'll report back. haha
Quote:
I can't comment yet on this as mine only has been fitted for a day but it already feels and
stops far better than the shitty stock callipers

Once the break in period finishes I'll do some vbox testing to see how much better it is

Maybe the pad location is not ideal but the car is front biased from factory and doing some
reasearch I can't find out how much

At this stage I'm not really worried about it, if it effects braking performance I will address it

Not hosed by any means, not ideal but way better than stock
i've been told that the brake bias in these cars is somewhere around 80%. i hope you two don't see any weird pad wear from the rear, but doing about 20% of the work, even at the track, it might not be obvious right away. i could be completely wrong and it will be fine.

there is no such thing as pads being positioned on the outside of the rotor for optimum ability. if someone told you this, its nonsense. optimal efficiency is the pad covering the entire rotor face +/- a few MM (centered), with the pistons centered on the pads. a rotor is going to turn friction into heat the highest efficiency when the pad is putting heat into the entire rotor face. this is simply a fact.

there is definitely something different about each of your kits, whether it be pad sizes used, or caliper mounting brackets. either way, i think its bullshit the seller is basically using you guys as test subjects at a premium price point. that last part is just my opinion.
      12-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #208
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powashiftin View Post
Porche boxster front or rear caliper?
Rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i've been told that the brake bias in these cars is somewhere around 80%. i hope you two don't see any weird pad wear from the rear, but doing about 20% of the work, even at the track, it might not be obvious right away. i could be completely wrong and it will be fine.

there is no such thing as pads being positioned on the outside of the rotor for optimum ability. if someone told you this, its nonsense. optimal efficiency is the pad covering the entire rotor face +/- a few MM (centered), with the pistons centered on the pads. a rotor is going to turn friction into heat the highest efficiency when the pad is putting heat into the entire rotor face. this is simply a fact.

there is definitely something different about each of your kits, whether it be pad sizes used, or caliper mounting brackets. either way, i think its bullshit the seller is basically using you guys as test subjects at a premium price point. that last part is just my opinion.
Since the other guy is tracking more than I will be, he can comment on this.

I wouldn't say its a premium price tag 1300 dollars for the rear, you could always use a stock calliper as its an overkill on the rear anyway

But I do know what you guys are trying to say, its should be in the centre for racing for optimal heat displacement, not really needed for street use and since the rear is only doing 20% of the work it will be ok for light track duties.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #209
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep

To those who were hammering me for saying price point should be 50% less, do you think $1300 is a good price for the porche boxster calipers package?

No! Ripoff.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #210
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

How much are Stoptech's ST60/40 kits selling for now?
I got mine for $4,500 shipped but that was a few years ago.
There's also Sparta and WP Racing available now too.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #211
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

6k + shipping and taxes
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #212
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

ST60/ST40 kits regularly go for ~$3500 second hand, with less than 5k miles on the set. I think they're a decent value at that price point. I managed to snag a set of ST60/40 trophies for a steal at $2k + shipping, granted they did not come with pads. I find it hilarious that people pay $6K for even ST Trophies when new, considering how many other better options there are out there in that price bracket (granted, it's arguable, but I'd much rather drop $6k on a Sparta, AP, Essex AP, or PFC kit).
Appreciate 1
shimmy232418.50
      12-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #213
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

For you guys buying sec hand is worth it

I've been burned twice now buying stuff out of the US and it took me months to get my money back, its just not worth it unless the seller is an honest bloke and has lots of rep

The shipping out of the US is almost twice the price of that out of Europe

It really makes it uneconomical to buy stuff sec hand from you guys
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #214
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

BTW made a mistake its not off the Boxster, going of the part number of the rear pad they are from a Porsche Cayenne

http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo.../hb502f606-170
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 06:18 AM   #215
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

The cayenne swap is common in the vw world. If I remember correctly the front caliper is roughly $600
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #216
r0cketm0nkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Damn. Those pics are scary. I knew something was amiss when they had to send "special instructions" for the rears. I'm absolutely OCD, and a fit like that, brake bias be damned, would compel me to back my car into a wall in the hopes that the force would push the caliper back into place. Really want to know what the seller would say about this.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #217
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

I'm actually on it waiting to see what happens next
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #218
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

To stop the Brake bias argument I worked it out for you guys and here are the results using this calculator

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/bias-calculator/

S is stock
B is Brembo

As you can see the bias is shifted towards the front ever so slightly using this kit and not as much as you guys are speculating

Everything is taken into account brake pads, piston sizes, rotor diameters

You can also change the bias with the brake pads you use

I rather have this setup and have a choice of different brake pads and rotors than being locked in to one manufacturer

I'm also waiting on Albert to respond on the rear brake pad size or location ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #219
My Schnell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 6MT / Gen II Raptor

So, the leg pressure stays the same but you get less rotor torque at the wheels...both front and rear? If I am reading this correctly...
2009 E90 ///M3 SG Fox Red 6MT Slicktop, AA X-pipe w/straight pipes w/Eisenmann Sport, Dinan intake, AA Pulley, ZCP strut retro w/Dinan Stage III susp, BPM Stage II tune, Rear Fog LCI switch, BMW Edition Front & Side Grill/Gill, Thrust Arm Monoball, Solid Subframe Bushes, Black 19x9.5/10.5 APEX PS-7s, Vibra-Technics engine mounts, Auto Solutions shifter 20% throw, WPC treated Rod Bearings & AiB v4-Now, Not Wife approved!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:46 PM   #220
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Yes, the calculator is there and if you want to know how its all worked out follow the link.
Appreciate 0