BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

03-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #23
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR

Nice write up. Congrat on the purchase.
You need to take the RS to road course to feel what it is about. I had 997.1 RS and I can tell u that all GT3's are the best driver's car. The steering feedback on this car is second to none. If u only drive it as DD or weekend toy, it will just become another toy that gets neighbor's attention. That's it.
Anyways, take it to the track, AutoX or mountain!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #24
spiffyjiff
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Mainly the bucket seats. They are OK but not as comfy as the M3 seats. You can adjust them only back and forth.
do you want to sell them?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #25
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Hey Attila, great to see you got a new Porsche and perfect timing too. The weather in Omaha is starting to shape up. I purchased my 2009 Cayman S from Woodhouse and they are really great and mod friendly! Did you work with Adam? I am sure the guys there were excited for you.

I want to make it out to some track days and I also need to join the local Great Plains Porsche club.

I live in Omaha and would be interested in going to the track. Shoot me an email if you are trying to arrange a track day.

Dave

Former Car: 2007 335i JB3

ps Sorry to turn this into a Porsche forum but for Attila's car, I hope you can make an exception!!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #26
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

Interesting point of view. You'll be sold on the RS after an afternoon at MAM. It is at least 5 seconds a lap faster at MAM than your M3. Just make sure you have the RS broken in prior to the first FF on 8th of April.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #27
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenThousdandRPM View Post
I have extensive driving in a 2010 M3 and own a GT3RS. I must tell you that when I read your post I had to register on this board just so I could tell you (and other readers on here that might actually give some credit to your posting) that you absolutely have no idea what you are talking about.

The M3 is a wonderful car. It is a good value, has good performance and makes for a good daily driver. But if you think for even 1 second that it gives you a comparable driving pleasure as the 3RS either on the street or most certainly on a track, then you must truly have lost your ability to assess sports cars in an objective manner. Without going into a laundry list of reasons why that is, I would say this post should be memorialized as the embodiment of the saying that when it comes to sports cars 'some people have more money than brains'.

End of rant.

Edit: I just re-read your post and saw that you have not even tried the 3RS beyond 5k rpm. This alone discredits your entire "review". Even the most basic newb that has read about the RS in a magazine would know one of the most special things about this engine is its character up to redline. And yet you are comparing exhaust notes and performance without even having put the pedal to the metal? Please return or sell this car so that a rightful owner may put it to good use.
Whats an m3? I dont know what an m3 is.....we are talking porsche gt3rs...nothing else exists
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #28
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Congrats on the RS. It is a beautiful car and one I hope to get some seat time in one day. I love the color combo on your car.

I completely understand where you are coming from when you say that the reality of finally owning your dream car can sometimes be a let down. I went through 6 nice performance cars in the $50k to $100k price range in less than two years chasing dreams. I finally got back into a GT-R and plan to enjoy her for awhile. I've proven to myself that I will never find the perfect car. At least not in my price range.

I can imagine that your GT3RS has some road noise. The 2009 997 C2S I had wasn't nearly as quiet as I thought it would be, so I'm sure the more extreme RS is worse. Hopefully what you are giving up in road comfort will be more than made up on the track.

Enjoy your new toy.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #29
p4lm3r
Rep
Drives: e91 328i

Pls sell the GT3rs to someone that likes cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #30
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Quote:
I have extensive driving in a 2010 M3 and own a GT3RS. I must tell you that when I read your post I had to register on this board just so I could tell you (and other readers on here that might actually give some credit to your posting) that you absolutely have no idea what you are talking about.

The M3 is a wonderful car. It is a good value, has good performance and makes for a good daily driver. But if you think for even 1 second that it gives you a comparable driving pleasure as the 3RS either on the street or most certainly on a track, then you must truly have lost your ability to assess sports cars in an objective manner. Without going into a laundry list of reasons why that is, I would say this post should be memorialized as the embodiment of the saying that when it comes to sports cars 'some people have more money than brains'.

End of rant.

Edit: I just re-read your post and saw that you have not even tried the 3RS beyond 5k rpm. This alone discredits your entire "review". Even the most basic newb that has read about the RS in a magazine would know one of the most special things about this engine is its character up to redline. And yet you are comparing exhaust notes and performance without even having put the pedal to the metal? Please return or sell this car so that a rightful owner may put it to good use.
I am not the most qualified person to assess sport car "greatness" on the other hand I am really not biased either. This GT3RS is my first Porsche as my M3 is my first BMW.
I have to admit I have a tendency not to like any of my new cars until they are broken in and I got used to them.
What I wrote is my first impression on the RS compared to my current assesment and feel about the M3. Since then I drove about 200miles today in the RS and started to like it more and more. I went by the local track, and some people was on the track, eventhough it is not officially open yet. I stopped and hesitated for almost 5 minutes and almost went there and asked them to let me try the car on the track just for 2 laps. Problem is the RS still has only 260miles on it, way too low for track use.
Anyway, just to cheer up the people how was "offened" by my low initial estime of the RS, I did not like the F458 either.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #31
p4lm3r
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
I am not the most qualified person to assess sport car "greatness" on the other hand I am really not biased either. This GT3RS is my first Porsche as my M3 is my first BMW.
I have to admit I have a tendency not to like any of my new cars until they are broken in and I got used to them.
What I wrote is my first impression on the RS compared to my current assesment and feel about the M3. Since then I drove about 200miles today in the RS and started to like it more and more. I went by the local track, and some people was on the track, eventhough it is not officially open yet. I stopped and hesitated for almost 5 minutes and almost went there and asked them to let me try the car on the track just for 2 laps. Problem is the RS still has only 260miles on it, way too low for track use.
Anyway, just to cheer up the people how was "offened" by my low initial estime of the RS, I did not like the F458 either.
Or the english language.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #32
attila
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4lm3r View Post
Pls sell the GT3rs to someone that likes cars.
Who do you have in mind?

(I got 4 to sell, hate all cars, maybe because my dad use to build them and and this is some sort of late Freudian fixation I cannot loose.)

Sorry, just couldn't help...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #33
attila
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Hey Attila, great to see you got a new Porsche and perfect timing too. The weather in Omaha is starting to shape up. I purchased my 2009 Cayman S from Woodhouse and they are really great and mod friendly! Did you work with Adam? I am sure the guys there were excited for you.

I want to make it out to some track days and I also need to join the local Great Plains Porsche club.

I live in Omaha and would be interested in going to the track. Shoot me an email if you are trying to arrange a track day.

Dave

Former Car: 2007 335i JB3

ps Sorry to turn this into a Porsche forum but for Attila's car, I hope you can make an exception!!

Hi Dave
I "worked" with Brian, he is a great guy!
I will be out at MAM on 4/8. I managed to take all Fridays off in May, and working on June too, so I will be on the track a lot. I need to learn the RS I will be a copiloting a cup s on the Hungaroring in July 28 - that was one of the reason to get the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #34
p4lm3r
Rep

Quote:
There is no bias, simply your inability to distinguish good from great. Your comment about this being your first porsche and your first bmw indicates quite clearly that you are inexperienced when it comes to sports cars. Not a problem in itself, and god bless you for being able to afford both, except that you come out making pronouncements of greatness and comparisons. This is like seeing a 7 year old kid critique Shakespeare when he is still reading children's picture books. There is simply no credibility.

On top of this when you add that you didn't like the 458 either I start to think you are trolling rather than being serious.
This. Period.

I have driven a 914, 914/6, 928s(euro), 993, e36m, e46m in SMG and 6mt. I can promise that a statement like he made about a 997.2 GT3RS is just trolling.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #35
bholloway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

I only browse this forum, but I feel like I have to post to agree with TenThousdandRPM. M3s are great cars but they're nowhere close to a GT3 RS.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #36
wchow16
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Quote:

End of rant.

I think his comparison to Lafit-Rothschild wine is fair and a honest one. Cars, houses, stuff in general I believe your expectation always exceed realization. I had a similar experience with my M3. I longed for the M3 for a long time and once I realized it it did not full fill expectations. I long for a GT3 RS now and I am sure when I scratch that itch one day I will have a similar experience. Both the M3 and GT3 are great cars but in the end they are still just cars. It's the people that hold "stuff" to a pedestal that have lost perspective. To insult him when he provides a honest review is a little offside in my opinion.

Last edited by wchow16; 03-24-2011 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #37
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don't be taken aback when the hammer of truth comes down like a ton of bricks on people that are talking nonsense.
More people need to hear this on forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #38
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Attila, I'd love to hear your comments after you try to change your CL wheels the first time. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 03:49 AM   #39
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

NEWS FLASH.......... No one is entitled to their own personal opinions on this board. If you OWN a GT3RS and your initial impression is not of that of THORS GOD like badassness you are a TROLL and should be banned from the board and you have absolutely no credibility........... are you guys serious?? So what, the guy was expecting more initially from the car than he got........ he made an honest assesment and that makes him a TROLL?? Get real, maybe a troll on a Pcar forum, but this is an M3 forum and he raves about how good his M3 is in comparrison.... a fact I would imagine would make most M3 owners happy. Hard rides and super hard suspension and really loud cars are not everyones forte'

TenThousandRPM........ your a TROLL, you have 3 posts in this forum, claim you have a GT3RS (no pics) and your first post is to discredit a member that has been here for 2 years? GTFO......

I drove my neighbors 2008 911 Turbo with a Tubi exhaust and chip........ I did not like it. Uncomfortable and fucking loud, and honestly SCARY FAST. I will never own one, not because I can't afford one, because I DID NOT LIKE THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE and I am entitled to that opinion as the OP is entitled to his.

Peace
      03-25-2011, 04:29 AM   #40
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Attila is not a troll... how do you have 375+ posts and spent as much time around here as him and be called a troll. Simple fact is he bought a car that doesn't suite his expectations. I was lucky enough to be taken for several laps in a GT3RS last summer and it was intense and amazing. It was a FAR better track car than my M3. However, if I had bought it to drive back and forth to work, it would have gotten annoying too because it is so raw. Even as a weekend toy, I would prefer something a little more refined than an RS. That doesn't mean it isn't an AMAZING car for what it is meant to do... the OP just bought a car that may not be what he really wanted. Who knows, maybe after spending time with it he will change his mind.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #41
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:

End of rant.

Get laid much? Guy was doing a review, he didn't say the ///M was faster or better, he just said as an every day car it was, wasn't even mentioning track performance. So stop attacking another forum member and perhaps you should have stayed as a silent lurker until you had improved on your reading comprehension and gotten some action so as to calm your nerves, just a thought....

OP: thanks for the review.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #42
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don't be taken aback when the hammer of truth comes down like a ton of bricks on people that are talking nonsense.
Talk about ego maniac......so now you are the hammer of truth? Your opinion is no longer an opinion but fact? Wow.......now I see why you don't get laid.

Who cares what the OP or anyone else says, its just their opinion......geeeez.

Stop attacking forum members, go somewhere else......

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #43
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
My comprehension is just fine thank you, and my balls are drained on a regular basis by a lovely lady. I appreciate your concern.

I would have been happy to lurk, but as I said, some trash just needs to be rectified and cannot go unchecked. You know that saying about "don't believe everything you read on the internet"? Well, the OP is the perfect example of why that is. So consider my comments to be cosmic karma setting the record straight for future readers.

So the M3 is a better daily driver for a daily commute over busted ass roads in heavy traffic? Wow - please bring the man a Rocket Scientist award for the tremendous insight. You needed a "review" to tell you that? Should have donated the RS money to Japan instead of fuckin wasting it on something he doesn't understand.

So the OP had no business buying an RS and had no clue what he was getting himself into: his wife hates the road noise and wants the car returned? The bucket seats aren't as comfy as the M3 lounge chairs? You have to be kidding about these "revelations".

Again, looks to me like Attila saw an issue of Car&Driver at the newstand and just figured he would buy that cool looking Porsche that he saw on the cover.

Boom. There is your violent torpedo of truth.
Damn dude....relax.

I give it to you that the GT3 RS is a spectacular machine...a race car that happens to be street legal. However, one cannot just have a GT3RS; a GT3RS will normally be reserved as a toy, a weekend racer or even a drive down Ocean Drive with the wife on a nice afternoon.

An M3, can serve as a weekend racer, a DD, a luxury car and a toy. In terms of versatility, the M3 wins hands down.

While I still believe the OP needs some more seat time in his GT3RS, the fact is that he paid $150k+ for a car he can barely use compared to the versatility and useability of his m3 which he paid only $70k for.

Is the GT3RS faster? Yes

Can the GT3RS handle better? Yes

Is the GT3RS badass? Hell yes.

Is speed and handling the two most important things about a car? Not for everyone.

If it was, the OP would of just purchased a GTR for $80k and called it a day.

Honestly, the OP has the perfect garage..an M3 and a GT3RS.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #44
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Talk about ego maniac......so now you are the hammer of truth? Your opinion is no longer an opinion but fact? Wow.......now I see why you don't get laid.

Who cares what the OP or anyone else says, its just their opinion......geeeez.

Stop attacking forum members, go somewhere else......

Cheers,
e46e92
This guys role model must be Charlie Sheen...LOL! Wait..maybe it is Charlie?! LOL!

Charlie...is that you? Can you give me a ride in your GT3RS? LOL!

-SZ
Appreciate 0