BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

10-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

BMWCCA Intensive HPDE at NHMS Oct 9

This is a great event if you can make it to NHMS and want to practice being on the track for more than 25 minutes at a time. The second half of the day ends up being open track, which means you'd get a chance to drive with drivers at different skills levels driving at different speeds if you have not experienced that already (not to the extent that there are beginners on the track). I got the chance to drive with Will Turner on the same track last year--not that I could hold on! He also spoke to us about endurance racing during lunch. I don't know if there is a speaker this time around, but a very good experience overall with tons of track time regardless.

It appears that not a whole lot of people signed up (probably due to the economy and the Friday timing). If you are on the fence, or if you didn't know about it, but would like to make it, this is the time to register so that it won't be cancelled!

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/events/...px?EventID=457
      10-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Echo what you are saying Lucid. I only wish it was closer to where I live. Just too far for me to drive. I have a full plate ahead at VIR this and next month. I plan to air out the E92 in Nov, but again, all in street garb, i.e. tires and brakes.
Have a good time at NHMS, and shoot some vids if possible.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

What a great event. That's a lot of seat time in one day.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yes, lots of seat time indeed. Among many other things, it teaches you how your can lose focus if you don't focus on being focused.

It appears that I was wrong about the open track thing during the afternoon though. I read the description more carefully, and it says 7x30 min sessions. I'm pretty sure they ran 45 minute sessions last year.

The other thing you learn is to to be more aware of what is going around you with people pitting in and out, but I am not sure about the format for this year. I guess I'll find out soon.

Folks from the NY area, you can do this!
      10-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

This just got cancelled. Only 22 people signed up. Now, I have to wait until the end of the month for Thunderbolt.
      10-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Too bad Lucid. That has happened several times this year with various club events. Lack of participation has been a real issue. I plan on running three times in November, and I hope all events will go forward. So far, at VIR, all are still on, and seem to be holding firm -
PCA Nov 6/8
TrackDaze Nov 16/17
Asphalt Ventures Nov 30
Pray, no snow......
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Too bad Lucid. That has happened several times this year with various club events. Lack of participation has been a real issue. I plan on running three times in November, and I hope all events will go forward. So far, at VIR, all are still on, and seem to be holding firm -
PCA Nov 6/8
TrackDaze Nov 16/17
Asphalt Ventures Nov 30
Pray, no snow......
vz
Wow, Nov 30th! Good luck with that VZ.

I'll hang the boots/gloves at the end of October and find covered storage for the E30.
      10-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wow, Nov 30th! Good luck with that VZ.
I hear what you are saying. I have run this event in prior years, and you always have to be careful not to freeze your lug nuts off.
Bring your (ski) boots, and jacket - you have to run with your windows down, and join us. Great event.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Maybe I'll come down to do an early season opener next year. Things don't pick up around here until April or so...