BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

05-20-2024, 12:52 AM   #23
TheGr33k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Good input. Quite a few things done though, any idea what was the actual issue?
From everything I gathered and after reading transmission temps, we came to the conclusion of a failing temp/revolution sensor. Fluid was not low, clutch pack and clutches showed no signs of warp or excessive heat/friction outside of normal range. A good starting point would be to look at the the DCT thermostat and address if that is failing as Bimmerworld states that is a very potential culprit as well : https://www.bimmerworld.com/Cooling/Oil-Coolers/DCT-Transmission-Oil-Thermostat-E9X-M3-DCT.html
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 03:12 AM   #24
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr33k View Post
From everything I gathered and after reading transmission temps, we came to the conclusion of a failing temp/revolution sensor. Fluid was not low, clutch pack and clutches showed no signs of warp or excessive heat/friction outside of normal range. A good starting point would be to look at the the DCT thermostat and address if that is failing as Bimmerworld states that is a very potential culprit as well : https://www.bimmerworld.com/Cooling/...9X-M3-DCT.html
Got it. Replaced the Tstat earlier. The Clutch temp (revolution) sensor is the one occasionally going up and down. Seems to stabilize when driving a bit harder/revving up which makes me wonder about the fluid/spray supposely cooling the clutches (did you by any chance see what that looked like inside mate?). Will top up fluid during the week, see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 07:19 PM   #25
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I'm wondering, is there a way to bypass the DCT fluid thermostat? To have it permanently open so that fluid flows to DCT cooler 100% of the time. I live in a hot climate so warming up the DCT fluid is not so important.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 04:46 PM   #26
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I'm wondering, is there a way to bypass the DCT fluid thermostat? To have it permanently open so that fluid flows to DCT cooler 100% of the time. I live in a hot climate so warming up the DCT fluid is not so important.
Foolish IMO. The thermostatic control is desirable. It's easy to access, easy to replace, not an expensive part. Retain it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 07:37 PM   #27
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Foolish IMO. The thermostatic control is desirable. It's easy to access, easy to replace, not an expensive part. Retain it.
Yessir... 😅
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 05:43 AM   #28
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr33k View Post
From everything I gathered and after reading transmission temps, we came to the conclusion of a failing temp/revolution sensor. Fluid was not low, clutch pack and clutches showed no signs of warp or excessive heat/friction outside of normal range. A good starting point would be to look at the the DCT thermostat and address if that is failing as Bimmerworld states that is a very potential culprit as well : https://www.bimmerworld.com/Cooling/Oil-Coolers/DCT-Transmission-Oil-Thermostat-E9X-M3-DCT.html
So turned out 0.3 liter was possible to squeeze in i.e. box was full so there goes my final hope out the window. Temp sensor continue to act. To make it clear I got the code and limp on my way from the shop....

They quoted 2k usd to drop the box and replace the sensor and while in there one of the hoses to sort a tiny leak. Might be my next action but will try a adaptation reset for the fun of it first.
Again box have done 40k calm miles so continue to refuse to believe the clutches actually slip.
Appreciate 0