BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-12-2024, 10:46 PM   #1
mikerunt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.77]
CANTCU

Looking for anyone with experience using CANTCU:

https://www.canformance.net/product/...on-controller/

Exploring a standalone MOTEC and these seems to be a possible solution for DCT car where standalones usually face headwinds.

An Antares 8 or similar ecu/gcu/PDM is not an option right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 02:04 PM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

What does it do??
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 02:07 PM   #3
mikerunt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.77]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
What does it do??
Have a peak at the link above. Can explain better than I.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 08:48 AM   #4
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerunt View Post
Have a peak at the link above. Can explain better than I.
I did, still understood nothing...:-)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 11:57 AM   #5
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

That's neat, I like it.

It creates an interface for the DCT so you can customize the inputs to the system and use various things other than the factory PT-CAN
Appreciate 1
mikerunt464.50
      02-14-2024, 04:54 PM   #6
mikerunt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.77]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
That's neat, I like it.

It creates an interface for the DCT so you can customize the inputs to the system and use various things other than the factory PT-CAN
Like Emitron and MOTEC ECUs!

Apparently their 8hp integration is much better than the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 11:50 AM   #7
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

personally, i would just use the maxxecu standlone with the built in TCU. if i am full sending to a standalone.

I have the HTG unit in my car due to wanting to retain oem DME. does the same shit, but i don't find my self messing around with it too much in terms of shift speed.. sure i can get "pdk" like shifts but at the cost of damn near destroying my trans lmao.

although I do make cool poppy noises when i upshift now :3
Appreciate 1
mikerunt464.50
      05-20-2024, 06:55 PM   #8
yoshsauce
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 Daily, E36 Track Car

Old post but keep seeing bad info out there so I logged into an old account to post for anyone looking this up in the future lol. Please don’t go with an HTG. As of May 2024 you have gut the megatronics unit and directly wire the unit to the HTG. While they have been supposedly doing better with not breaking trans I have yet to see anyone successfully have one driving smoothly that can explain what exactly they did. Might be the most configurable but understand this probably wasn’t intended for DD use. Maxxecu and CANTCU on the other hand both work with the factory mechatronics and mapping, you’re actually required to run GTS software with their units. MaxxECU is a standalone that can control the DCT as well but if at the end of the day you’ll be out the door 4500+ with all associated harnesses + race ecu. Have fun with their customer service tho lol they can get a little snippetty if you ask too many q’s, kinda the reason I backed out of their race ecu. I couldn’t justify buying into a 4.5k ecosystem if they couldn’t answer my fairly basic questions. CANTCU is only a DCT/8HP controller that’s made to work with certain ECUs such as Haltech Motec even BMw MSxx ECUs and others as well. These do require DBW TB for blips but when configured correctly (software and hardware wise) they work beautifully. Just know you’ll probably need 50-100+ hrs of tuning over time to fine tune the trans shift points as of today. 99% of videos on YT are guys first drive videos or don’t give it the time needed. Zero to Sixty on YT has lots of content on the struggles of DCT swaps.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 08:53 PM   #9
mikerunt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.77]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshsauce View Post
Old post but keep seeing bad info out there so I logged into an old account to post for anyone looking this up in the future lol. Please don’t go with an HTG. As of May 2024 you have gut the megatronics unit and directly wire the unit to the HTG. While they have been supposedly doing better with not breaking trans I have yet to see anyone successfully have one driving smoothly that can explain what exactly they did. Might be the most configurable but understand this probably wasn’t intended for DD use. Maxxecu and CANTCU on the other hand both work with the factory mechatronics and mapping, you’re actually required to run GTS software with their units. MaxxECU is a standalone that can control the DCT as well but if at the end of the day you’ll be out the door 4500+ with all associated harnesses + race ecu. Have fun with their customer service tho lol they can get a little snippetty if you ask too many q’s, kinda the reason I backed out of their race ecu. I couldn’t justify buying into a 4.5k ecosystem if they couldn’t answer my fairly basic questions. CANTCU is only a DCT/8HP controller that’s made to work with certain ECUs such as Haltech Motec even BMw MSxx ECUs and others as well. These do require DBW TB for blips but when configured correctly (software and hardware wise) they work beautifully. Just know you’ll probably need 50-100+ hrs of tuning over time to fine tune the trans shift points as of today. 99% of videos on YT are guys first drive videos or don’t give it the time needed. Zero to Sixty on YT has lots of content on the struggles of DCT swaps.

Very much appreciate this!

I’m still interested in a standalone solution for my car so this helps a ton.
Appreciate 0