BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

06-26-2023, 12:28 PM   #1
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

NBT evo hw3.2 Hard Drive Replacement

Posting this because I ran into and issue where my hard drive failed and there was no info available online.

while driving the car for 7hrs straight with the heat on my original toshiba hard drive developed some type of fault and kept resetting every 4 minutes like clock work.

Name:  nbt evo 1.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  651.5 KB
replacing the hard drive is easy, remove the plastic cover by removing the 5 t-8 torx screws and remove the optical drive then remove the additional 4 t8 torx screws and push the hard drive towards the rear of the unit to disconnect it from the board connector.

when this is done bend the tab on the hard drive holder so the new sandisk drive fits and install the drive and close the unit back up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9G43WU...t_details&th=1

this is the drive, sandisk, cheap and ssd type so its a bit faster with map data than the original toshiba drive.

Name:  nbt evo.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  253.1 KB

at that point just plug your unit back in and reupload your map data and fsc's for good measure and youre good to go.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
Nickco431542.00
      11-13-2023, 01:33 PM   #2
fortf30
that340i
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 335i Xdrive

Did you do disk initialization? Or was it just plug and play?
Appreciate 1
jtmar0.00
      06-03-2024, 11:01 PM   #3
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Posting this because I ran into and issue where my hard drive failed and there was no info available online.

while driving the car for 7hrs straight with the heat on my original toshiba hard drive developed some type of fault and kept resetting every 4 minutes like clock work.

Attachment 3214189
replacing the hard drive is easy, remove the plastic cover by removing the 5 t-8 torx screws and remove the optical drive then remove the additional 4 t8 torx screws and push the hard drive towards the rear of the unit to disconnect it from the board connector.

when this is done bend the tab on the hard drive holder so the new sandisk drive fits and install the drive and close the unit back up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9G43WU...t_details&th=1

this is the drive, sandisk, cheap and ssd type so its a bit faster with map data than the original toshiba drive.

Attachment 3214190

at that point just plug your unit back in and reupload your map data and fsc's for good measure and youre good to go.
Did it crash the map first, then the entire system, and when it would reload it had factory settings on the map? As in, it would wipe out the perspective view, or zoom level, or map style etc... mine is doing that every little while and it's annoying. Ironically in an e92 m3 retrofit, like yours. (NBT EVO latest version)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 09:40 AM   #4
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
Did it crash the map first, then the entire system, and when it would reload it had factory settings on the map? As in, it would wipe out the perspective view, or zoom level, or map style etc... mine is doing that every little while and it's annoying. Ironically in an e92 m3 retrofit, like yours. (NBT EVO latest version)
ironically I think my hdd failed again this year, I have to check to see if there is a problem with the hu. I changed my display and it started acting up.

previously it would just turn off and restart, no map crashing.

G-Power Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 01:52 PM   #5
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just noticed now when driving yes the map crashes then it resets. Going to try to reload the maps
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 07:40 AM   #6
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Keep me posted! I changed the display also but only the touch screen panel not the little controller board that runs it. (AliExpress)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 11:07 AM   #7
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Keep me posted! I changed the display also but only the touch screen panel not the little controller board that runs it. (AliExpress)
it did not work, I will have to change my hd once again. I believe the sandisk ssd is not a good unit for this application, I will be installing a kingston 240gb ssd and ill have to ping the new disk.

G-Power Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 11:33 AM   #8
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
it did not work, I will have to change my hd once again. I believe the sandisk ssd is not a good unit for this application, I will be installing a kingston 240gb ssd and ill have to ping the new disk.
Are there any industrial/automotive grade application SSDs available? Maybe its the heat that is killing it.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 11:50 AM   #9
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Are there any industrial/automotive grade application SSDs available? Maybe its the heat that is killing it.
I read on some middle east forums to go with the kingston 240gb. Sandisk products of late have not been the best.

G-Power Supercharged
Appreciate 1
derbo3656.50
      06-05-2024, 10:51 PM   #10
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
There are, but it's not very easy for the average person to find and buy. However, I'd highly recommend it. The expanded temperature and durability ratings are important.

I did a SSD upgrade to my CIC unit years ago by cloning the original hard drive to an automotive grade m-sata SSD. The CIC unit shockingly does not even use SATA, it uses IDE so you need to use an adapter.

What I found when trying to buy one, is that automotive grade SSDs are not really sold through normal consumer channels. The sales are targeted at businesses and intended to be bought in large quantities. Finding someone that was selling them individually was rather difficult.

The nice bit is I now have the disk image saved in my backup so if that disk ever dies, I can image up a new one in minutes. Handy for long term ownership. Because the disk was so difficult to locate, I ordered two. The second one to be used years later if this one ever fails.

Quote:
Doesn't the NBT-EVO require some sort of disk preparation before you can use it? Did you do that?

The CIC unit was picky about IDE-MSATA adapters, there was one that was basically the only one that worked.

I would not be surprised if the NBT-EVO is picky about SATA devices.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2024, 05:09 AM   #11
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
There are, but it's not very easy for the average person to find and buy. However, I'd highly recommend it. The expanded temperature and durability ratings are important.

I did a SSD upgrade to my CIC unit years ago by cloning the original hard drive to an automotive grade m-sata SSD. The CIC unit shockingly does not even use SATA, it uses IDE so you need to use an adapter.

What I found when trying to buy one, is that automotive grade SSDs are not really sold through normal consumer channels. The sales are targeted at businesses and intended to be bought in large quantities. Finding someone that was selling them individually was rather difficult.

The nice bit is I now have the disk image saved in my backup so if that disk ever dies, I can image up a new one in minutes. Handy for long term ownership. Because the disk was so difficult to locate, I ordered two. The second one to be used years later if this one ever fails.

Doesn't the NBT-EVO require some sort of disk preparation before you can use it? Did you do that?

The CIC unit was picky about IDE-MSATA adapters, there was one that was basically the only one that worked.

I would not be surprised if the NBT-EVO is picky about SATA devices.
yeah you have to ping the new disk once installed to partition the drive. about 10 minutes of programming.

G-Power Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2024, 06:01 PM   #12
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=amrazM;31210340]yeah you have to ping the new disk once installed to partition the drive. about 10 minutes of programming.

Can you send instructions for the entire process and the model of ssd you used? Pretty please?

I read so many conflicting stories online about fsc codes, hdd protection, how to load maps etc.

My problem is, I retrofitted the nbt+telematics into an e92 m3 and if i mess up the fsc codes I’m worried OTA map updates will stop. 😞 nervous to touch it!!

Wanted to perform a sector by sector copy of the hdd but read online it’s password locked.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 03:31 PM   #13
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yeah you have to ping the new disk once installed to partition the drive. about 10 minutes of programming.
Did it work? I really want to finish this, could you explain the "ping" procedure. I have tool32 working, and ssh if needed.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2024, 08:27 AM   #14
TheAlphaGeek
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340ix xdrive

Garage List
I too am looking for an update to this. I have a NBT EVO. the HDD is going to fail soon. 1 out of every 3 or 4 boots, it hangs on the "starting navigation" screen. I want to replace the HDD while I can still clone it. (if it isn't already too late.)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2024, 09:53 PM   #15
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlphaGeek View Post
I too am looking for an update to this. I have a NBT EVO. the HDD is going to fail soon. 1 out of every 3 or 4 boots, it hangs on the "starting navigation" screen. I want to replace the HDD while I can still clone it. (if it isn't already too late.)
Take out the HDD and get an image of the disk with clonezilla before it dies.

Then you can just make a new disk anytime you want. Makes replacement easy because then the replacement is block by block identical.

Did this with my CIC unit when I did a SSD upgrade. Wrote the image to the SSD, image is saved in backup in case it ever dies.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2024, 10:27 AM   #16
jtmar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortf30 View Post
Did you do disk initialization? Or was it just plug and play?
Did you figure this out?
Appreciate 0