BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

03-10-2023, 12:52 PM   #1431
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

There appears to be a new firmware update available for the CIC unit.

Was checking the download site and noticed the following:

P2000 for CIC v3.1 (bmwCIC_20230206)

However, when checking the change log, I don't see any entry about this new release:

https://www.mr12volt.com/pages/p2000-change-log

The direct link to the change log also seems to have vanished on the download page.

Curious what the changes are in this new release.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 04:31 PM   #1432
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

This has been a long thread and over a good period of time covering a lot of material - cool.

I'm interested in hearing what the latest updates and combined body of knowledge from everyone has turned up for this device (in my case, tailored for the CCC). I have a 06 330i with CCC iDrive (8.8") Logic7, Bluetooth, and AUX 3.5 adaptor in the arm rest. I'm currently using a HK BTA10 + ground loop filter via the AUX right now for the "better audio experience". However, it would be nicer to not have to stop the car and make changes all the time on a handheld phone instead of just making screen changes and relying on superior "digital assistant" for initiating calls and navigation requests instead of what is now in place.

Based on this thread there are a few things I've learned.

pros:
audio is superior to many units relying on AUX
CD change hardware is already there? but you have to do coding to the unit CDMM_CHANGER_3 to mp3_cdc using NCSEXPERT
can re-use the 8.8" existing screen (to avoid the reported glare and the long reach to a 'touch screen')
works with idrive controls
works with steering wheel inputs
stable according to users
fast according to users

cons:
phone quality is terrible. All kinds of work arounds are posted to use native MIC via bluetooth to take calls and then you have confusion between the two bluetooth units. I really would like to disable the native car Bluetooth and just use the carplay for phone, music, all audio, but it sounds like the included mic w/mr12volt device has poor call experiences.
re-use the 8.8" existing screen from 2006 (also a con)
touching the steering wheel assistant gets the "native voice helper" and the "digital assistant". Was there a way to kill/code out the "native voice helper" ? Someone said yes, per update error, but no one had a method.
You need to use a separate microphone that either sticks someplace intrusive or you pull the pillar and top of car parts apart and put it in someplace with vibration isolation somewhere in the roof center panel( blu-tack ?) and cannot use built-in mic (splitter experiment didn't work)

Can anyone following this thread remark on the accuracy of these pros/cons and let me know if there is anything that's changed or inaccurate? My use case is music (tidal), navigation (google maps), phone calls (iphone) and hoping to turn off the native bluetooth/native communication and just use this unit without BT pairing confusion.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Soden82475.50
      03-10-2023, 06:14 PM   #1433
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Just been told that changelog will be updated over the weekend. Nothing exciting and no need to rush to upload unless you are having problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 06:15 PM   #1434
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam M View Post
Just been told that changelog will be updated over the weekend. Nothing exciting and no need to rush to upload unless you are having problems.
I guess I wasn't the only one that asked Mr12Volt support about that. They just responded to me on whatsapp and told me the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 05:42 AM   #1435
Joshh101
Rep
Drives: E90 Titanium Silver

Has anyone had a dim screen when selecting cd1 on ccc? The screen just goes dim and stays on the ccc cd1 menu but you can’t select anything until you press menu on I the idrive knob
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 09:25 AM   #1436
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzandrl View Post
cons:
- phone quality is terrible. All kinds of work arounds are posted to use native MIC via bluetooth to take calls and then you have confusion between the two bluetooth units. I really would like to disable the native car Bluetooth and just use the carplay for phone, music, all audio, but it sounds like the included mic w/mr12volt device has poor call experiences.

- touching the steering wheel assistant gets the "native voice helper" and the "digital assistant". Was there a way to kill/code out the "native voice helper" ? Someone said yes, per update error, but no one had a method.
Found a method in e90post; Using NCS Expert, load your FA/VO, delete your $620 save the new FA/VO to CAS and FRM (NFRM) using FA_WRITE.* Then default code run SG_CODIEREN on your CCC
SVS to "nicht-aktiv" in CCC
SVS (only entry that included SVS) to "nicht_aktiv" in Media (combox) This should remove the native voice helper. Now, just to find out if the call quality issue has changed since what everyone has written here about it being poor quality.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 12:07 AM   #1437
drwankel
Major
Rep

The firmware change log was updated for the CIC version:

"bmwCIC_20230206" fixed L / R channel reversed issue

I wonder how widespread that problem is? Makes me want to run some tests to see if I am affected. Maybe my channels are flipped and I never noticed.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 04:54 AM   #1438
Nemonemo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw E63 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
You may have missed one of the wire plugs back into the head unit. Be sure you got all of them plugged back in. On mine there are several different colors, there is the main black rectangle wire harness big block, then there are a bunch of smaller round/rectangle plugs one blue, black, tan and pink. I plugged 5 total things back into the head unit when I was done and my bluetooth is working and can connect to both mr12v and the BMW headunit, switching when I get a call or use Siri.
Many thanks for your response. But I did everything according to the instructions, what exactly did I do wrong? Please help.. Could I have caused a broken ring?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 05:34 AM   #1439
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

A few months ago I posted this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Hi all, quick question....

Has anyone got Coolwalk working with Android Auto yet?

(photo is a mock-up!! )
So, for those of you running Android Auto, I now have the new Coolwalk working, so thought I'd post a few photos of how it looks (yes, this is an E89, but the screen size is the same)...
Attached Images

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 09:46 PM   #1440
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
So, for those of you running Android Auto, I now have the new Coolwalk working, so thought I'd post a few photos of how it looks (yes, this is an E89, but the screen size is the same)...
What is Coolwalk? That looks like normal Android Auto to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 10:24 AM   #1441
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
What is Coolwalk? That looks like normal Android Auto to me.
Coolwalk is the new UI layout for AA, it was released in January this year (slowly). I think it makes a big difference on your screen size and shape, ours being very much "letterbox" means you loose some of the new look. It can adapt to the specific screen type you play it on much better, unlike the old version.

Appreciate 1
tdott3932.00
      03-20-2023, 02:05 PM   #1442
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Coolwalk is the new UI layout for AA, it was released in January this year (slowly). I think it makes a big difference on your screen size and shape, ours being very much "letterbox" means you loose some of the new look. It can adapt to the specific screen type you play it on much better, unlike the old version.
ah ok, I'm on a Pixel Pro so had it for a while.
IMO wasn't a big difference from what I had before.

Maps can go full screen now, Waze can't yet, I assume they need to update waze.
That's my biggest take away using it before/after.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 09:44 AM   #1443
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
ah ok, I'm on a Pixel Pro so had it for a while.
IMO wasn't a big difference from what I had before.

Maps can go full screen now, Waze can't yet, I assume they need to update waze.
That's my biggest take away using it before/after.
Totally 100% agree with you, that's how I've found it so far

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 03:22 PM   #1444
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009550iMSport View Post
I think the video quality of the camera speaks for itself. Option D isn’t 1920x1080p, it’s 1280x720p with a fisheye 170° lens. That where it says 1080p was part of the name of the advertisement that I copied and pasted from the AliExpress app. Sorry, that was a bit misleading. Make sure you select option D!

I have tried 4 different cameras personally, and this is the best one by far.

Also, it’s cheap. Half the price of another one I tried that was rubbish.

Option D. 👌

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtO8IZz
Update on cameras. I am purchasing this and mr12volt and noticed camera options changed on aliexpress. There are three options now and it looks like the middle option matches the specs from the old Option D.

Unless someone can confirm, I am going to buy it and report back

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 04:03 PM   #1445
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

I'm using the Greenyi 720P AHD Camera and the quality is very good.
Thumbie81.00
      03-30-2023, 04:48 PM   #1446
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Okay great, that is the spec on the middle option, which I ordered (15 day shipping :O ). Mr12volt arrived yesterday and will try to install this weekend.

Might try mounting mic above steering column in front of gauge cluster. I believe the mic is directional so the angle towards head/mouth is important (or perhaps I read that in the Dynavin unit thread...). If it is, that may explain why many have poor quality or echoes.

If I get it in, I will circle back with my findings.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 07:19 PM   #1447
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
Okay great, that is the spec on the middle option, which I ordered (15 day shipping :O ). Mr12volt arrived yesterday and will try to install this weekend.

Might try mounting mic above steering column in front of gauge cluster. I believe the mic is directional so the angle towards head/mouth is important (or perhaps I read that in the Dynavin unit thread...). If it is, that may explain why many have poor quality or echoes.

If I get it in, I will circle back with my findings.
Ok got it in. Took about 3 hours. Used the mic clip to put it in front of the steering wheel. From driver's seat you can barely see it.

Tested it without starting the engine, called someone and they said quality is "OK" and was able to understand what I was saying (this is through the mr12volt mic).

I attached photos for mounting. Wire runs behind wood trim and then over the mr12volt (which I installed behind glove box in the fuse panel area)

(this is not the final location for either mic or mr12volt FYI just wanted to get it working. Have not received GreenYi camera yet)

The next day when I started it up and drove around the dash board was freaking out and blinking all the lights, but that's a different story. The mr12volt itself seems to work great
Attached Images

Last edited by Thumbie; 04-05-2023 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: see not hear
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 11:46 AM   #1448
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

Mic solution on MR12V is just awful.

I’m desperate for them to come up with a way of using the stock mic.

I wouldn’t be against buying a very high quality compatible mic and installing it properly in the steering wheel cowling (E93) but I don’t know if the poor quality is the mic itself or the internal processing/circuitry.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 02:55 AM   #1449
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

I just spoke to them via WhatsApp - is incredible that they provide this facility - I don’t know any other far east companies that do this.

They recommended I turn on echo cancellation on the unit.

Has anyone done this with any success?

https://youtube.com/shorts/CfqzovkA3ic?feature=share

They also expected that an oem mic solution would be worked on but said it wouldn’t work with the current hardware.

I wonder if they do an exchange program for those of us with the earlier unit.

I’m happy to unpair my phone from the stock system as I hope that would remove the confusion on hours to place and receive calls until an oem mic set up is available.

I believe when only connected to the P2000, all calls would route through it regardless of being in CarPlay mode.

The confusion for me is being able to press the button on the mic steering wheel - what functionality would that then provide, just cic control through the oem mic? Does a long press allow it to operate Siri?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 01:53 PM   #1450
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam M View Post
I just spoke to them via WhatsApp - is incredible that they provide this facility - I don’t know any other far east companies that do this.

They recommended I turn on echo cancellation on the unit.

Has anyone done this with any success?

https://youtube.com/shorts/CfqzovkA3ic?feature=share

They also expected that an oem mic solution would be worked on but said it wouldn’t work with the current hardware.

I wonder if they do an exchange program for those of us with the earlier unit.

I’m happy to unpair my phone from the stock system as I hope that would remove the confusion on hours to place and receive calls until an oem mic set up is available.

I believe when only connected to the P2000, all calls would route through it regardless of being in CarPlay mode.

The confusion for me is being able to press the button on the mic steering wheel - what functionality would that then provide, just cic control through the oem mic? Does a long press allow it to operate Siri?
I have now made a few calls while driving through the mr12olt supplied mic. People say it's OK and are still able to understand what I am saying. If a higher quality mic would fix the issue, I'd be happy to buy one. I like the idea of everything routed thru mr12volt instead of switching back and forth.

I will look into the noise cancellation settings and see if that makes any improvements.

As far as steering wheel buttons, I believe there are some settings in BimmerCode you can adjust to make it all work. I haven't looked into this yet as it's only been a week and I've been riding since the weather is nice. It will require digging back thru this thread.

I apologize if all my posts are annoying. I am trying to get back as much info as I can to others. It's probably time to break into a new thread? over 60 pages now and most is outdated since the new model came out fixing most issues.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 02:59 PM   #1451
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

Interested to see what Bimmer code can do.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 04:48 AM   #1452
Alexey_M
mr. Brightside
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

hi guys! sorry for my english, im very far from US)

first of all, my name is Alex and i own Z4 e89 2010)

i install p2000 (blue box) and now i have a few qestions)
1. did somebody find good quality rear camera that work with p2000?
2. did somebody find how to tune equalizer p2000 for best sound? i found for old version without DSP, and now probably someone already tune p2000?
Appreciate 1