BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

05-10-2022, 07:14 AM   #771
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbav View Post
My bad,

Try this link for the video

https://youtu.be/P1jiO9lsHuY
I think this is how mine looked when I tried carplay and had it working. Something does look wrong with the keyboard drwankel shown , maybe it's a setting either on the phone or the 12volt unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 10:07 AM   #772
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I think this is how mine looked when I tried carplay and had it working. Something does look wrong with the keyboard drwankel shown , maybe it's a setting either on the phone or the 12volt unit.
I did some digging on reddit for you guys, it looks like depending on the version of iOS you are on, there may be a limitation where the keyboard is disabled because the car thinks it's driving.

I'm curious if maybe the eBrake goes on does that change anything? It's also possible though Mr12volt didn't implement that check on the Canbus.

Another link mentioned one handed typing would cause an issue (but this should be disabled by default on iOS)

You can turn off one-handed typing from Settings > General > Keyboards and tap One Handed Keyboard.
      05-10-2022, 04:28 PM   #773
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

There is an additional variable here that is unique to me that could be causing it.

I have Japanese language enabled on the phone in addition to USA English. Maybe that changes they keyboard style that comes up? Looking at the other video- there would be no way to change language in that setup.

Notice in my video there's the globe icon in the bottom right of the keyboard. You use that button to change language.

For anybody else that has the same problem I have- do you have more than one language setup on your phone?

Secondarily- does anybody with only USA English get the keyboard layout I have?

Again- I have two other cars with factory carplay, without a touchscreen- and I can use this keyboard layout without issue on those cars. They are both Mazdas (both have totally different infotainment system versions) but they both have a scroll wheel controller similar to idrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 05:40 PM   #774
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Regarding sound settings- an update on my experiences so far.

The missing bass is restored with the EQ set to flat. The question now is- does the DSP need further adjustment, or is a flat EQ an exact match?

Testing is needed, but one odd ball thing I've noticed. The overall volume of the P2000 is slightly less than the CIC. I noticed the system volume looks like its maxed out at 30 in the P2000 menu, with navigation volume set to 25. However, the volume max is actually 32 not 30.

Increasing the volume to 32 gets it seemingly back inline with the rest of the CIC, but this introduces distortion. Specifically, I noticed the navigation voice in waze had distortion when the system volume was raised to 32. As such- I'd leave this setting alone. Keep it at 30. Have not tried raising it to 31 yet either.

As far as the rest of the EQ, I too have noticed that going to far with it introduces distortion. My initial testing with an iphone DB app suggested modifying the EQ with the following settings:

31HZ: +5
63hz +2
80Hz +1
160hz +4
375hz +0

I'm unclear if this is introducing distortion or not. You can try these settings and see how they sound to you.

The testing I did was the following- Download a test tone, example, 31hz. Play the tone natively in CIC, monitor the DB level with a DB reader, and record it. Go into the P2000, play the same test tone, and modify the EQ for that tone to get the DB level to be an exact match.

Realistically, I need to redo these tests with a standalone DB meter, and do the test directly from carplay (initial testing was done with the media player in the P2000), but its a starting point.

Again- we may very well need no adjustment at all. The slight system volume differences could have very well made my testing invalid.

Put these in today, it's perfect. Many thanks to you sir!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 06:53 PM   #775
stargazer.80
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Quote:
A couple of points here. The coding you described is a bit odd, I'll get into it in a second. Ensure that you have the MOST connectors properly connected.

If the car in your profile is in fact a F25 x3, that may be where the problem is.

If you notice the dip switch settings on the box, theres a setting for 8.8" (intended for e-series cars) a setting for 6.5" (which I am also suspecting is only for E series cars), and then a setting for F10 (5 series cars with CIC). You being on a 6.5" screen with a F series car may make you an extreme edge case.

Lastly, I recall reading that someone on this thread while installing into a F10 5 series had to code the cd changer option to MMC not mp3_cdc. Give that option a try and see if it behaves any differently.

Again, check your MOST connections, and if none of that solves it, reach out to Mr12volt support
Looks like you were right, my car is some weird CIC with NBT screen connector (4pin vs 6pin). Also this installation guide shows how it looks on my car:

I fear Mr12Volt will not be able to work with my car, I don't see how the cables can be adjusted, looks like I will have to return it. I was really optimistic about the MOST audio. Too bad...

I wonder if even NBT units would work on this car since it is still CIC HU?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 07:07 PM   #776
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer.80 View Post
Looks like you were right, my car is some weird CIC with NBT screen connector (4pin vs 6pin). Also this installation guide shows how it looks on my car:

I fear Mr12Volt will not be able to work with my car, I don't see how the cables can be adjusted, looks like I will have to return it. I was really optimistic about the MOST audio. Too bad...

I wonder if even NBT units would work on this car since it is still CIC HU?
You physically verified the 4pin vs 6pin on install? Unless you physically verified it, I don't think that is it. As you have the box connected, if that was the problem, you would have no video at all from the CIC or mr12volt, as the video signal for regular CIC passes through the mr12volt unit. The fact that you have video implies it is not an issue.

I still think your issue is MOST related. Get that extra splitter out of there and retest. Your symptoms scream that MOST isnt happy. Having an extra installed device in the loop CAN mess things up.

Mr12volt also specifically says that F25 CIC is compatible on their supported models list.

Before you do anything try both of these first and in order:

1. Remove the extra most device's fiber cabling temporarily from the loop. Then test.
2. If not successful change the coding to MMC instead of mp3_cdc

If number two is successful, try putting that extra MOST device back in and see if it behaves differently. I'd bet money on its either one of the two or both since you have video from the CIC unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 07:22 PM   #777
stargazer.80
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Yeah, I have two connectors on my HU, the pink one is 6pin (like on the video) and beige one is 4pin. If I remove the pink one, the screen goes blank. If I remove the beige one there is no sound.

Sorry about the confusion in one of my earlier posts. There was nothing on the MOST loop, my IDrive controller was already split (similarly like the one that Mr12Volt provides), so I daisy chained on that one with Mr12Volt's IDrive splitter and the controls worked on default CIC UI, but it possible that it would interfere with Mr12Volt controls. However, that does not explain the screen issue, right?

I wish these BMW HU would have documentation which port is used for what. I am trying to find it online.

EDIT:
If you look at post
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=761

On the first image attached you can see two connectors I was talking about, the pink one has 2 extra pins and 2 extra wires. I initially assumed that the beige one next to it was for the screen, now I am not sure what it is used for.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 08:25 PM   #778
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer.80 View Post
Yeah, I have two connectors on my HU, the pink one is 6pin (like on the video) and beige one is 4pin. If I remove the pink one, the screen goes blank. If I remove the beige one there is no sound.

Sorry about the confusion in one of my earlier posts. There was nothing on the MOST loop, my IDrive controller was already split (similarly like the one that Mr12Volt provides), so I daisy chained on that one with Mr12Volt's IDrive splitter and the controls worked on default CIC UI, but it possible that it would interfere with Mr12Volt controls. However, that does not explain the screen issue, right?

I wish these BMW HU would have documentation which port is used for what. I am trying to find it online.

EDIT:
If you look at post
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=761

On the first image attached you can see two connectors I was talking about, the pink one has 2 extra pins and 2 extra wires. I initially assumed that the beige one next to it was for the screen, now I am not sure what it is used for.
Yeah, if you have a 6 pin connector then you are flat out sunk at this point. No 6 pin option at this time. I did hear they were working on an NBT box. Based on what I've read about other boxes like this in the F series cars, they seem to work with CIC or NBT if its 6 pin depending on what it is. So there may be hope for you down the line.

I think part of the confusion here is it does sound like some early f series cars did have 4 pin connectors, guess yours just wasn't one of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 08:27 PM   #779
Snappa2000
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92

Quote:
Regarding sound settings- an update on my experiences so far.

As far as the rest of the EQ, I too have noticed that going to far with it introduces distortion. My initial testing with an iphone DB app suggested modifying the EQ with the following settings:

31HZ: +5
63hz +2
80Hz +1
160hz +4
375hz +0
Drwankel,

What are your settings on the iDrive for the bass/treble and also the eq if you have it.

I have updated my original P2000 to the new DSP one and yes it does sound better in the bass area but still trying to find the best settings. So also happy to hear other peoples experience with their settings on the DSP unoit and their iDrive settings.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 09:31 PM   #780
drwankel
Major
Rep

My idrive settings are flat on treble, and +1 on bass, flat on everything else. Been set that way for a few years, long before I got the P2000 box.

Car has hi-fi not individual audio or logic 7, so no EQ in idrive for me. Does have upgraded bavsound speakers, subwoofers and amp though.

As far as tuning- refrain from touching the idrive EQ initially. The goal is to align the P2000 with all the other CIC inputs. Audio should sound the same cd/usb/bluetooth/radio. Once you have accomplished that, you can then adjust the idrive eq to your personal preferences. Remember, the idrive EQ settings are global.

Last edited by drwankel; 05-11-2022 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 09:48 PM   #781
AK M3
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

is there a way to disable the volume from reducing itself after putting the car in reverse? it scares the living crap out of me when it reverts back to normal when the car goes back into drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 02:22 AM   #782
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK M3 View Post
is there a way to disable the volume from reducing itself after putting the car in reverse? it scares the living crap out of me when it reverts back to normal when the car goes back into drive.
Hoped it would wouldn't do it on the P2000MD as it does the same on the P2000. Seems to be how it is at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 11:42 AM   #783
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG8RB8 View Post
Finally completed this Upgrade and I could not be anymore happy, both with function and looks! Thanks to all the pioneers ahead of me with all the guidance. Just to have a phone conversation with somebody now at speed on the freeway with my Uber loud open exhaust is a pleasure! The supplied mic works great, I placed in the E93 stock location and now everyone says difference is amazing. The front camera was a bit finicky at first but I figured it out and works wonderfully now. I will finally installed my GT2 splitter. The DSP equalizer is nothing short of amazing! Can't wait to go by my friends shop with a spectrum analyzer and tunes things in perfectly. Thanks again for all the great information in this thread!!!
Have you used the GreenYi camera that everyone seems to have chosen?

Regarding the reversing camera view - are the lines now selectable via the menu (with my camera, I think you have to snip a wire to enable or disable them)?

And the track lines are genuinely dynamic - driven by the steering wheel position?
      05-12-2022, 03:29 PM   #784
frN54
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335is

Hi I am new here on m3post.
I have a 2012 335is from USA but live in Germany.
I bought the Mr12Volt box 2 weeks ago.

unfortunately I have heavy problems with my mr12volt CIC box.
The device ran for 3-4 days without problems. Recently crashed 1-2 times Carplay and my speedometer or instrument cluster went completely crazy - it went all the lights on and off. The error code stored was CDA8. I was able to fix the problem only after disconnecting the battery.
The car was now parked for 2 days and now my Idrive controller doesn't work anymore - after about 10-15 min the same problem again, CDA8 error code. Instrument cluster lights everything.
I checked the wiring of the idrive - all ok

I can not use the box so unfortunately.

I have contacted Mr12Volt support but no response so far. Does anyone have similar problems?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:05 PM   #785
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93, many more

Hello, just curious if anybody knows how to turn down volume for just the navigation while listening to music independently??? I know how on my newer cars, but turning the volume down while Google Maps is talking does not seem to work with the P2000.
2009 E93 M3, Alpine White, Harrop S/C, BE Bearing Upgrade, ARP Custom Age 625+ rod bolts, Billet DCT Pan and Side Cover, Billet filter cover, Topspeed Quad Resonated 63mm X-pipe, Vangaurd Ti exhaust, 19" BBS Fi's, BPM DCT Tune, BPM Harrop Tune, almost every known early Failure/Leaky item brand new, Mr. 12V DSP MM Upgrade, CF Splitter & Diffuser, P3 Custom Multi Gauge, Lumar Ceramic Tint, 3M PPF
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      05-12-2022, 05:23 PM   #786
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG8RB8 View Post
Hello, just curious if anybody knows how to turn down volume for just the navigation while listening to music independently??? I know how on my newer cars, but turning the volume down while Google Maps is talking does not seem to work with the P2000.
There is a navigation volume setting in the P2000 general settings. Go to settings --> general, and then you can raise or lower the navigation volume. Regular system volume is there as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:32 PM   #787
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frN54 View Post

The device ran for 3-4 days without problems. Recently crashed 1-2 times Carplay and my speedometer or instrument cluster went completely crazy - it went all the lights on and off. The error code stored was CDA8. I was able to fix the problem only after disconnecting the battery.
The car was now parked for 2 days and now my Idrive controller doesn't work anymore - after about 10-15 min the same problem again, CDA8 error code. Instrument cluster lights everything.

I have contacted Mr12Volt support but no response so far. Does anyone have similar problems?
Your symptoms sound like canbus communication issues. The P2000 gets its signal and power from tapping into the canbus via the idrive controller connector.

Carefully inspect that harness and connectors to ensure it isn't damaged.

If nothing surfaces, remove the P2000 and see if the issue persists. Also possible one of the canbus lines could have been damaged on install on the factory harness side.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 06:44 PM   #788
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:

Check your battery voltage to rule out gremlins caused by low voltage.
drwankel1025.50
      05-13-2022, 12:56 AM   #789
frN54
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Check your battery voltage to rule out gremlins caused by low voltage.
I had checked that. The errors appear when the engine is running. Battery voltage is 14.5 -14.8v when the engine is on.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 12:58 AM   #790
frN54
Rep

Quote:
Your symptoms sound like canbus communication issues. The P2000 gets its signal and power from tapping into the canbus via the idrive controller connector.

Carefully inspect that harness and connectors to ensure it isn't damaged.

If nothing surfaces, remove the P2000 and see if the issue persists. Also possible one of the canbus lines could have been damaged on install on the factory harness side.
thanks I will later disassemble the car again and check everything and also unplug the box again
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 02:27 PM   #791
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:

I remember the connector at the control knob end needs a good push to fully seat and make a good connection. I also had a few issues before I realised this. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 05:35 PM   #792
viperboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G30 540d, E93 M3

Hi all, just ordered the latest mr12volt box for an e93 I'm picking up. I want to add a backup camera, as the car doesn't have one. What backup camera is recommended? Anything I'd have to take into consideration because it's a convertible? Thanks!
Appreciate 0