BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-20-2022, 06:55 PM   #1
mettaxa
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Help with coding & DME software update

Hello all (this is cross posted from general discusstion),

My 2008 M3 has been having a strange issue: the car runs and drives perfectly however upon a few minutes of idling (once fully warmed up) the car goes into limp mode. Limp mode goes away after turning the car off and on again if I drive right away and returns once idling again. Fault codes point to a cylinder 1 misfire.

After extensive diagnosis (checking all plugs, coils, compression etc) a local reputable shop I'm working with thinks that the issue lies within the DME, and they seem to think an update will solve the issue. The problem however, is that a few years ago I swapped out my original heated seats with a new set of non heated seats, so the incorrect modules of the non-heated seats are interfering with the car's computer, and ultimately not allowing the DME to be updated.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Is there any way to code out the incorrect modules (getting rid of heated seats specifically) so that the DME can be updated? If so, is there anyone in the Seattle region able to do this as a service?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 10:56 PM   #2
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

You could probably do it with bimmer geeks.. I did seat coding with it or derbo tuning LLC. Might be able to do remote work at reasonable rates…
      01-21-2022, 01:52 PM   #3
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Merging my replies from the other thread:

I'd imagine that strictly wants to do a complete integration level update, and if the vehicle order isnt matching what is actually in the car- it may not work correctly. I can't see them only doing a DME update based on previous experience with them.

They basically act like cheaper dealership service, rather than a shop that deals with modded cars or anything outside of how a dealership tech would act.

What I think needs to happen is the vehicle order needs to be updated to remove this option and any offending modules need to be default coded. This can be done in NCS expert.

I have the tooling to do this, and am local, but am basically a n00b when it comes to the dark world of coding. I could probably figure it out on my own car- but wouldn't be confident enough (yet) to do it on someone else's car.

Also heres the thread with the proceedure to do the DME update without doing the entire integration level update- which again is probably the answer if you dont want to get the coding corrected.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...highlight=241e

The reservation most people would have about doing this- is these modules are tested to work as a package, and updating one outside of the others is an unsupported scenario, and may bring unpredictable results.

If it was me- I'd get the coding corrected and then proceed with the full blown integration level update. That is the "right" way to do it.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2022, 04:16 AM   #4
Munich S65
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Merging my replies from the other thread:

I'd imagine that strictly wants to do a complete integration level update, and if the vehicle order isnt matching what is actually in the car- it may not work correctly. I can't see them only doing a DME update based on previous experience with them.

They basically act like cheaper dealership service, rather than a shop that deals with modded cars or anything outside of how a dealership tech would act.

What I think needs to happen is the vehicle order needs to be updated to remove this option and any offending modules need to be default coded. This can be done in NCS expert.

I have the tooling to do this, and am local, but am basically a n00b when it comes to the dark world of coding. I could probably figure it out on my own car- but wouldn't be confident enough (yet) to do it on someone else's car.

Also heres the thread with the proceedure to do the DME update without doing the entire integration level update- which again is probably the answer if you dont want to get the coding corrected.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...highlight=241e

The reservation most people would have about doing this- is these modules are tested to work as a package, and updating one outside of the others is an unsupported scenario, and may bring unpredictable results.

If it was me- I'd get the coding corrected and then proceed with the full blown integration level update. That is the "right" way to do it.
How's your battery? I had a strange "increased emissions" warning and SES dash light along with a "increased battery discharge" combo of lights come on during this colder temp. Did some searching here and realized my battery is 7yrs old, replaced battery and all is well.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 02:44 PM   #5
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
You could probably do it with bimmer geeks.. I did seat coding with it or derbo tuning LLC. Might be able to do remote work at reasonable rates…
Bimmer geeks no longer does remote coding. They have their sister company bimecu ( bimmer ecu solutions) who now takes care of remote coding.
Appreciate 0