BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-10-2021, 09:32 AM   #45
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

If you swap for OEM bearings and seem to be having this much trouble either dont do them at all (I see no point, oem bearings can spin literally 8k miles later if you have the worst luck in the world), or take it to an Indy shop and pay them to do the work because I hate to sound like a major douche, but I don't think you are understand the "what" and "why" part and are more or less skipping to "how".
Appreciate 1
Idfkman475.50
      12-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #46
Hussnainh8
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1984 View Post
If you swap for OEM bearings and seem to be having this much trouble either dont do them at all (I see no point, oem bearings can spin literally 8k miles later if you have the worst luck in the world), or take it to an Indy shop and pay them to do the work because I hate to sound like a major douche, but I don't think you are understand the "what" and "why" part and are more or less skipping to "how".
I already know the what and why, I didn't ask what a bearing is or why it's going out on s65 engines, I was asking how to do it as not everything is straight forward by following a diy, there's always some hurdles along the way so I would rather prevent anything major from happening in the first place..

I was also asking which bearings are the best ones to go for as the problem is with the OEM bearings in the first place but then people say don't use ACL and some say don't use BE.. to make matters worse both be and ACL have different varients of bearings so I would want to get the right ones.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #47
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussnainh8 View Post
I already know the what and why, I didn't ask what a bearing is or why it's going out on s65 engines, I was asking how to do it as not everything is straight forward by following a diy, there's always some hurdles along the way so I would rather prevent anything major from happening in the first place..

I was also asking which bearings are the best ones to go for as the problem is with the OEM bearings in the first place but then people say don't use ACL and some say don't use BE.. to make matters worse both be and ACL have different varients of bearings so I would want to get the right ones.
I am just saying you didn't seem to understand what the problem is (the oem bearing clearance) why it was important to change from oem (most if not all oem bearings will spin eventually) just "I am handy, how do I do it?".

Again not trying to be a jerk if you read the DIY I think you missed some key points that have been made regarding the procedure, but goo luck (sincerely) I will not comment again to messy the thread up.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #48
Abdul
Captain
Rep
Drives: E39 M5/E92 M3/E60 M5/F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
Just a point of reference. I have sold hundreds if not thousands of ACL bearings (Mixed sets and HX ones) and ARP bolts. NOBODY REPORTED A SINGLE ISSUE. I had them on my own E92 M3 which I put over 40k miles on. And then I installed them on my E60 M5 which is running strong till now. No need to think too much. ACL knows what they're doing. They are one top bearings manufacturers out there. They have this art down to the T.

Grab yourself a set of ACL bearings and ARP bolts from Rebuild UK since you're in Europe and call it a day.
Which ones are the mixed sets and what does mixed mean? They have 2 options... 8B1580H-STD and 8B1580AHX-STD which ones are the preferred one?

Thank you!
Definitely 8B1580HX-STD over 8B1580H-
STD.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:51 PM   #49
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Well the BE bearings as much as I would love them I just can't spend £600 on bearings alone and then arp bolts which are around £200 as well as gaskets, mounts and oil which is around another £200. That's £1k just in parts? Might as well just pay £1650 to evolve and get the job done using standard bearings and at least have some warranty for if it goes bang... I think deciding which bearings to go for is harder than the actual job 🤭😂

The ACL bearings are very tempting at £493 with bearings and bolts included. Surely there's people out there with ACL bearings and they have been running them fine? ACL is also a very known brand for parts and generally no one ever complained about them?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Yes, search around and find plenty S65 folks with ACL shells (not including tons of other engines using ACL, being a manufacturer since decades). Running HX shells myself since 3.5 years, so far so good. Daily useage though, not race/track application. On top Nordic climate with 10W60 so don't mind a tad more clearance. Cause believe this is what it boils down to vs BE really.
The ACL 0.008mm manufacturing tolerance I believe is sufficient for my use case (e.g. not mixed/unpaired set). ACL target clearance is the holy grale 0.0635mm (0.0025"), which like suggested may end up too open, worst case 0.08mm clearance. That is a lot, but on the other hand the possibility to end up there is negligible (shaft, cap, both shells have all to be at the extreme end). BE stated they targeted the same 0.0635mm but from what I've read "nominal" ends at around 0.055mm ish which probably is great vs OEM 0.03 or so. Taking shaft/cap tolerances into account the number will obviously go up/down a bit, but tightened thanks to their binn and matching.

In summary you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #50
Hussnainh8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1984 View Post
I am just saying you didn't seem to understand what the problem is (the oem bearing clearance) why it was important to change from oem (most if not all oem bearings will spin eventually) just "I am handy, how do I do it?".

Again not trying to be a jerk if you read the DIY I think you missed some key points that have been made regarding the procedure, but goo luck (sincerely) I will not comment again to messy the thread up.
I understand that but the confusing part is people debating over bearings which then confuses people like me some say go OEM again, some say BE only, some say BE are too expensive go ACL... I literally just want the bearings and put them in so I can enjoy the car!!

I read the diy but I was reading it in parts and didn't finish it as I wanted to understand everything in parts before moving on to the next step, so I might have skipped ahead and asked questions that where already answered.

You can comment it's fine, I just need answers to the correct bearings to go for as there's literally no set answer. I might just go for the hx version of the ACL bearings and cross my fingers for the rest of my life 😂

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:17 PM   #51
Hussnainh8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
Definitely 8B1580HX-STD over 8B1580H-
STD.
So the H std ones have standard OEM spec clearance (which could still spin like the bmw ones) and the HX std ones have extra oil clearance which reduces the chance of them slipping and allows more oil through.. Yes I think I might just go for the HX ones.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #52
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I have been running ACL bearings (mixed set for ideal clearance) for 20k miles without a hiccup. ACL has been making bearing for a very long time. Primarily for racing applications. They make a quality product. Maybe less S65 centric than BE, but they know what they're doing.

I would purchase from a seller who cherry picks the ACL bearings and finds the optimal clearance such as Lang racing or MPowermotorsports. That way you know you're getting the desired clearance from 2 reputable sellers.

https://mpowermotorsports.org/produc...-mixed-shells/

https://store.langracing.com/acl-rod...mw-e9x-m3-s65/
      12-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #53
Hussnainh8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idfkman View Post
I have been running ACL bearings (mixed set for ideal clearance) for 20k miles without a hiccup. ACL has been making bearing for a very long time. Primarily for racing applications. They make a quality product. Maybe less S65 centric than BE, but they know what they're doing.

I would purchase from a seller who cherry picks the ACL bearings and finds the optimal clearance such as Lang racing or MPowermotorsports. That way you know you're getting the desired clearance from 2 reputable sellers.

I'm from UK but that's a good shout! Maybe I can try find a supplier in UK
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #54
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:

I'm from UK but that's a good shout! Maybe I can try find a supplier in UK
https://www.rebuild.org.uk/buy-s65/

Reputable shop for TA's that sells them based in the UK. (I would guess Rebuild UK supplies the bearing to Mpowermotorsports in the US like they do for TA's.)

They have a "custom mixed set option" in the drop down which is what you're looking for.

May be worth giving them a call or shooting an email for some information regarding their process for selecting bearings in the custom mixed set.
Davisca4552219.50
      12-12-2021, 06:53 PM   #55
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Only MPorium deansbimmer sells measured mixed sets IIRC. MPower and Lang mix sets are not measured but are still good options (although there is still a statistical chance that you will not be at optimal clearance).

Using H is similar to stock. Not a great idea.

Using HX may result in overly large clearances and this is also bad. In addition, the eccentricity of the HX was shown to deviate from the Stock 702/703 shells.

Check out this wiki. http://wiki.rcollins.org/core/index....5_Rod_Bearings

The stock bolts are fine, but they are a royal PITA to install. I went with ARP to simplify the process.

Happy wrenching.

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 2
Idfkman475.50
      12-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #56
Hussnainh8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Only MPorium deansbimmer sells measured mixed sets IIRC. MPower and Lang mix sets are not measured but are still good options (although there is still a statistical chance that you will not be at optimal clearance).

Using HX may result in overly large clearances and this is also bad. In addition, the eccentricity of the HX was shown to deviate from the Stock 702/703 shells.

The stock bolts are fine, but they are a royal PITA to install. I went with ARP to simplify the process.

Happy wrenching.
Thank you for advice, which bearings would you go with ?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 08:05 PM   #57
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post

Happy wrenching.
Thank you for advice, which bearings would you go with ?

Thanks.
I went with BE shells and bolts. Would do so again. If I could not get BE shells, I would use deansbimmer's measured ACLs with BE bolts.

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34449.00