BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

09-10-2021, 11:15 PM   #639
Cyeh93
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
The Quadlock connector needs to be disconnected in order to code the CIC. So if the unit was still connected then the settings didn't take.

You can soft-uninstall the unit if the person can code it where you are. Remove the CIC, uninstall the quadlock connector and put back the original wire configuration, you don't need to remove the Carsara box completely to do this and you can leave the CIC dangling out while you confirm that the coding went through. Once you see "AUX Front" on the CIC, reinstall the Carsara box.
Thank you for your reply. Just to make sure I am clear since I have to schedule the re-coding. I have the newer unit without the quadlock connector. I am using the method that is described by SocalM3 on page 26, by adding my own aux.

The picture shows the connectors that I have; besides the USB Port on the other end. Since I don't have the quadlock as you describe, should I just put everything back to stock? Should we undo the coding that we did before putting back to stock?

Link to image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PZk6P1LUC2dCq3mx8

Thanks.

Last edited by Cyeh93; 09-10-2021 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Add link, since the picture didn't show up.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 11:22 PM   #640
Cyeh93
Rep

Also - Does anyone know the original value for these? I know that the AUX_HU was originally nicht_aktiv, but not sure about the other two. My coder said that one of them was already nicht_aktiv but wasn't sure which; so if I was to put it back to stock, is the Single or Dobule_OB that was aktiv?

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 02:16 AM   #641
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyeh93 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Just to make sure I am clear since I have to schedule the re-coding. I have the newer unit without the quadlock connector. I am using the method that is described by SocalM3 on page 26, by adding my own aux.

The picture shows the connectors that I have; besides the USB Port on the other end. Since I don't have the quadlock as you describe, should I just put everything back to stock? Should we undo the coding that we did before putting back to stock?

Link to image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PZk6P1LUC2dCq3mx8

Thanks.
It will be interesting as to what Cyberdemon says.
From my understanding, the newer carsara carplay pick up power and canbus via the 4 pin connector on the console iDrive. If you unplug the carsara connector from the iDrive and plug the original 4 pin connector back into the iDrive, I think it will bypass the carsara unit and the headunit will be back to normal and able to be coded.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #642
Cyeh93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk33 View Post
It will be interesting as to what Cyberdemon says.
From my understanding, the newer carsara carplay pick up power and canbus via the 4 pin connector on the console iDrive. If you unplug the carsara connector from the iDrive and plug the original 4 pin connector back into the iDrive, I think it will bypass the carsara unit and the headunit will be back to normal and able to be coded.
Thanks. It has been a month since I installed the Carsara and vaguely remembered all the connections but remembered it was simple like that. I also saw your 10 minutes testing post, and that is what I remembered also. Hopefully, it is as simple as reconnecting the iDrive as the other connection was just the video splitter for the screen.

I didn't experience any issue with my iDrive as you described. Yesterday, the iDrive stopped working but it was because the 4 pins connector was loose.

I'll wait to hear from Cyberdemon before I schedule another coding session.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 04:36 PM   #643
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Yesterday, the iDrive stopped working but it was because the 4 pins connector was loose.
Yes, I've had the same issue, you have to make sure the plug is pushed in good and hard.
I'll be interested to hear your views as to whether the sound quality improves.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 11:21 PM   #644
Cyeh93
Rep

Just reporting back. Today, I noticed that the Aux input changed to "Aux Front", so I moved the Carasa from the armrest aux to the DIY aux on the back of the CIC unit and it works. I didn't do anything since Friday so not sure why "Aux Front" shows up now. Maybe the car needed to cycle through a few restarts or the CIC unit needed to cycle through a few shutdowns.

@blk33 The quality did improve. I don't think it is as good as Bluetooth directly to the CIC, but this could just be the DAC in the Casara unit.

Anyway, one more confirmation that the new unit works and can DIY your own aux to pin 30, 35, and 36 at the back of the CIC unit.

Many thanks to this thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #645
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Just reporting back. Today, I noticed that the Aux input changed to "Aux Front", so I moved the Carasa from the armrest aux to the DIY aux on the back of the CIC unit and it works. I didn't do anything since Friday so not sure why "Aux Front" shows up now. Maybe the car needed to cycle through a few restarts or the CIC unit needed to cycle through a few shutdowns.

@blk33 The quality did improve. I don't think it is as good as Bluetooth directly to the CIC, but this could just be the DAC in the Casara unit.

Anyway, one more confirmation that the new unit works and can DIY your own aux to pin 30, 35, and 36 at the back of the CIC unit.

Glad it worked out, sorry I didn't see this over the weekend. Weird that it didn't take right away.
      09-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #646
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i   [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

What year is your car?
See Garage for Mods
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #647
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:

When you say 'I noticed that the Aux input changed to "Aux Front" ' Does this appear in the CD/Multimedia Menu?
Mine currently shows "Aux Front" in this menu which is through the arm rest.
Where did you get your connectors for the quadlock?
I was thinking of hacking into something like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...67587142%22%7D
Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 03:29 AM   #648
Cyeh93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiceman View Post
What year is your car?
2011 328i e93 Convertible
Appreciate 1
GTiceman137.00
      09-14-2021, 03:39 AM   #649
Cyeh93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk33 View Post
When you say 'I noticed that the Aux input changed to "Aux Front" ' Does this appear in the CD/Multimedia Menu?
Mine currently shows "Aux Front" in this menu which is through the arm rest.
Where did you get your connectors for the quadlock?
I was thinking of hacking into something like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...67587142%22%7D
Rob
I don't think that pin will work. you want something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...26431320%22%7D

The pin comes from the white/black 12 pins connectors. I couldn't figure out how to pull the pins out without cutting the plastic. Since I just wanted the pins with the wires, I didn't care about cutting the plastic.

I didn't want to wait for shipping so I ordered this from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note - This cable has a chip; not sure what it does. Not sure if it was the cause, but my AC stopped working, only hot air. I desoldered the chip and reconnect the wire. The AC works again and I don't want to touch it.

WARNING - Once you insert the pin into the quadlock, it was impossible for me to get it back out. I accidentally reversed the rights and the ground pins, so I had to cut, swap and solder.

Oh - Yes to your "Aux Front" question. I don't remember it saying Aux Front before we programmed it. I am just happy that it works now.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 10:59 PM   #650
Ccieszyn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2006 E60 M5

Out of curiosity, How are you all getting the latest updates for the carsara box? What is the latest version? What does it do? And is there a general location where they are stored for the community?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 07:05 AM   #651
M3DE
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Competition

I have been lurking here for quite some time as I was considering the installation of a Carplay/Android Auto module for my E92 M3. I'm now posting my experiences as a future reference for whoever is considering doing the same. I highly recommend you do. It is such a nice infotainment upgrade.

I considered buying a Carsara unit from Alibaba and install it myself but decided against that. I ended up buying below unit via an authorized reseller locally and had it installed professionally. The unit cost €650 and with installation it came out to €900.

https://www.ampire.de/LDS-CIC-CP.htm...CIC-CP&p=59912

I think this unit is basically a non-quad lock model Carsara with a CE certification and local support.

I have been using the unit for a few weeks now and I am pleased to say I am very happy with it. The integration with iDrive is great and the installation is not visible at all. The aux-in cable runs through the center console and cannot be seen unless you open the center console storage bin where the snap-in adapter lives.

The sound quality is absolutely fine, I notice no difference between an iPod, music from the in-car hard disk based multimedia system or Bluetooth streaming, versus the aux-in sound and the Carsara unit. My car is an LCI with the Harman Kardon sound system and combobox.

In order for the sound to be just right though, I did have to go into the Carsara settings and dial down the volume. By default all sound is set to the maximum and that sounds awful. Once I dialed it down (general volume and carplay volume) to about 80% the problem was solved. I did play around with the equalizer, but left it at default in the end. The sound is great.

I have a Galaxy S10 and use Android Auto wirelessly and this works almost without a hitch (occasionally I have to turn bluetooth off and back on to get it to connect). I have installed an OEM wireless charger as a replacement for the standard snap-in adapter. So my smartphone sits in the center console fully charged as I enjoy AA. The phone does tend to overheat in the center console unless I leave the cover open (charging and running AA at the same time). I haven't used wired AA yet, so I am not sure if the USB connection charges the phone while in use with AA.

https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-wirele...102449887.html

AA looks great on the big screen in my car, especially after I tweaked the color settings. By default the colors look a bit bleak, but now they look nice and vibrant.

I also like the extra USB-in that Carsara provides. I have filled a 400GB micro SD card with movies, music videos and children shows. Even subtitles work with the media player that comes with the unit and video up to 1080p is supported. I am happy to report that the media player continues working as the car is in motion. This is legally not allowed in Germany, so I was worried that this EU certified unit would not work while driving. So as long as I can evade the police my kids can watch baby shark during long drives after their iPads run out of battery.

One last thing I noticed tinkering, is that it is possible to choose a different audio source while using the Carsara unit (instead of aux-in). You loose all sound in AA, but you can listen to music from the in-car multimedia system or an iPod and skip songs using the buttons on the steering wheel as normal while navigating with Waze on the multimedia screen.

Last edited by M3DE; 09-22-2021 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #652
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #653
mrvedit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3DE View Post
I considered buying a Carsara unit from Alibaba and install it myself but decided against that. I ended up buying below unit via an authorized reseller locally and had it installed professionally. The unit cost €650 and with installation it came out to €900.

https://www.ampire.de/LDS-CIC-CP.htm...CIC-CP&p=59912

I think this unit is basically a non-quad lock model Carsara with a CE certification and local support.
Thanks for sharing great info about an alternate unit.
Have to 100% agree that adding Apple CarPlay (or Android AA) to cars is extremely worthwhile, whether its a $250 DYI project or a $1000 professional install. I'm considering a 2004 Merc SL600 and the biggest concern was whether Apple CarPlay is available. And it is. ($700 to replace the entire radio/nav/screen.)
2006 Corvette (streetable track car)
1986 535i "24 Hours of Lemons" also streetable
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 10:59 AM   #654
mrvedit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvedit View Post
I currently have the "older" Carsara working to some extent - The mic does not work even after trying both the supplied mic and the stock mic; this means I have to grab my phone and talk into it for phone calls. It also randomly reboots every hour or so.
Here is an update on my previously reported problems:

I took it all apart and discovered that the mic wiring had pulled out of the harness; probably from pressing everything in during the last assembly. I fixed that, removed some other unnecessary wiring from the harness, wrapped it better and was extra careful with the QuadLock. It has not rebooted since. However I still have a rattle due to the QuadLock; I can barely access it from the passenger side footwell and will zip-tie it somehow. If there is a next time, I will wrap it in some foam.

For anyone still only "on the fence", just do it and buy one of the units described here; you will be very happy with the result. And there are plenty of people here willing to help with any questions or problems you might have.
2006 Corvette (streetable track car)
1986 535i "24 Hours of Lemons" also streetable
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #655
i2023u
Rep
Drives: 328iX

Is there anyone knows how to use factory 360 camera on X5 with newer carsara unit ?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 08:14 AM   #656
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2023u View Post
Is there anyone knows how to use factory 360 camera on X5 with newer carsara unit ?
Could you clarify your question?

Do you have an X5 and want to hook the 360 Camera up to it because your vehicle wasn't equipped?

Or are you trying to hook this up to an M3?
      10-09-2021, 09:01 AM   #657
i2023u
Rep

Quote:

Do you have an X5 and want to hook the 360 Camera up to it because your vehicle wasn't equipped?

Sorry for the confusion. My X5 has already the factory 360 camera and rear view camera installed.
Are they working in carplay for new version of carsara unit without switching back to BMW menu ?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 09:15 AM   #658
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry for the confusion. My X5 has already the factory 360 camera and rear view camera installed.
Are they working in carplay for new version of carsara unit without switching back to BMW menu ?
What year is your car? Do you have a CIC or NBT system?
      10-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #659
i2023u
Rep

Quote:
2016 X5 (f15) NBT
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #660
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
2016 X5 (f15) NBT
If you have an NBT (NBT Evo started production 7/16 on the X5) you may want to do more research on the NBT unit.

I suspect it would just revert to the default IDrive screens when you're reversing.