BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

07-11-2021, 08:42 PM   #507
netio
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighindu79 View Post
it seems like the new carsara unit is now like kremersino v3 unit, which required the idrive controller harness to be installed in order for everything to work. Since there is no quadlock, I don't believe you can get aux audio without the aux cable either.
Yes, it draws power from the drive controller plug. Nothing plugs into the main head unit. I am not sure if I have a faulty harness, I just can't seem to make the controller work even after testing all possible jumper settings.

I have contacted the seller and waiting to hear back from them.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 04:56 AM   #508
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by netio View Post
Thank you for the instructions Blk33... I have connected everything however I can't get the controller to respond. The only jumper setting I have set to on position is 5 for screen resolution 1280*480. Have tested all options however can't get the controller to respond.
I'm not in a position to install mine for a week or so, so I'm watching with interest your progress. I did email Carsara querying the quadlock, but haven't received anything back yet.
Good luck.
Cheers
Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #509
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighindu79 View Post
it seems like the new carsara unit is now like kremersino v3 unit, which required the idrive controller harness to be installed in order for everything to work. Since there is no quadlock, I don't believe you can get aux audio without the aux cable either.
Yup, looking at these instructions this is clearly a very different unit, so at this point it looks like there may be some of the older units left, but this one likely comes with it's own pros and cons.

It does look like they are still selling the older units under a different link.

Like the Kremersino, you'd have to use the Aux 3.5MM cable, but it may be easier to install without the big bulky quadlock taking up space.

Unfortunately, all the software quirks are up in the air with this one. Once folks have installed this unit they can post some feedback.
atranho65.50
      07-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #510
netio
Canada
Rep

Just to keep you guys in the loop...I have sent them a detailed video to show all 3 different connections and the box switch settings they had requested. Let's see what they come back with.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 01:21 PM   #511
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 + 2015 335i xDrive

Well it has been another week and I'm still fighting with my AIOCOAI carplay unit that looks like the original version of the Carsara kit. They've had me update the MCU and asked me the same questions 50 times. I have asked for a refund probably 5 times and the latest response was starting all over asking my year/make/model, dip settings, etc. I've come full circle now with them and I'm ultra fed up.

I was just about to buy the Carsara kit to replace mine and saw it was a new unit in the pictures. Came back to this thread and see the issues you all are having with it. Now I have no idea what I'm going to do, haha. I don't want the lower audio quality of running the aux cable and prefer to use the quadlock version.
      07-14-2021, 12:23 AM   #512
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk33 View Post
I'm not in a position to install mine for a week or so, so I'm watching with interest your progress. I did email Carsara querying the quadlock, but haven't received anything back yet.
Good luck.
Cheers
Rob
It looks like the latest carplays are different. I received the following reply from Carsara:
"Hi, the CIC does not need quadlock cable, the design is to connect to idrive controller to get power and LVDS of screen. You can check the PDF instruction I sent to your email"
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #513
stevejin
@sugu.m3
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G05 X5, AP2 S2000

I was just about to place an order for the Carsara unit, and thought I'd check this thread out to see if there were any updates. I'm sort of glad I did.

I'm not sure if I should go ahead and order the newer version, or stick to the previous version that Cyberdemon linked a few posts above. I'd much prefer to use the quadlock for audio instead of using the AUX jack...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #514
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep

Well I am at the end of my talks with the AIOCOAI vendor. I have explained how everything was connected, what I've done, answered their questions multiple times for nearly 2 weeks. I asked for a refund again as my only option I gave them after they started over asking my year/make/model, dip settings, etc. Back to square one. Their response to my demand for a refund was:

"no pictures, no video, no truth. sir"

We're done here. I just opened a dispute requesting 100% refund. I will be charging back on my credit card if they don't issue a refund. I have even sent them the YouTube clip I posted here. They are denying I ever sent them anything now. It's all in the chat log on the aliexpress site even!

Anyone have a suggestion on a unit to buy now that still supports the quadlock audio connection?

Since Carsara units look different now, only the AIOCOAI one I have and the RoadTop unit look to be the previous style. Maybe I should try the RoadTop now?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...02dc2e464e38-4

Last edited by strobe89; 07-14-2021 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #515
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe89 View Post
Well I am at the end of my talks with the AIOCOAI vendor. I have explained how everything was connected, what I've done, answered their questions multiple times for nearly 2 weeks. I asked for a refund again as my only option I gave them after they started over asking my year/make/model, dip settings, etc. Back to square one. Their response to my demand for a refund was:

We're done here. I just opened a dispute requesting 100% refund. I will be charging back on my credit card if they don't issue a refund. I have even sent them the YouTube clip I posted here. They are denying I ever sent them anything now. It's all in the chat log on the aliexpress site even!

Anyone have a suggestion on a unit to buy now that still supports the quadlock audio connection?

Since Carsara units look different now, only the AIOCOAI one I have and the RoadTop unit look to be the previous style. Maybe I should try the RoadTop now?
This link appears to be the old E9x carplay box from Carsara. Some of the other units had been running older software, I don't know if anyone recently confirmed if any of those had been updated.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001346869428.html

May be better off just trying to buy this one.
      07-14-2021, 01:24 PM   #516
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
It looks like the latest carplays are different. I received the following reply from Carsara:
"Hi, the CIC does not need quadlock cable, the design is to connect to idrive controller to get power and LVDS of screen. You can check the PDF instruction I sent to your email"
Unfortunately each of these boxes have different ways they're implemented and it seems these sellers just sell whatever box they have instock since technically all they're promising is that it is carplay/AA and it's compatible with your car.

I remember the first box I tried (joyeauto) did not have quadlock and it worked flawlessly. Only reason I switched is because I wanted wireless carplay and also OEM mic integration.

But yeah, anyone who gets a box that doesn't have quadlock (by design) shouldn't worry about it not being able to work. Some just don't need it and some do. I guess if you care about AUX over quadlock then you would need to worry about it.
      07-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #517
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
This link appears to be the old E9x carplay box from Carsara. Some of the other units had been running older software, I don't know if anyone recently confirmed if any of those had been updated.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001346869428.html

May be better off just trying to buy this one.
I just went ahead and bought a Carsara one that listed E92 in the title. I know they are basically all the same box, but I wanted to make sure it said E92 in the title in case they try to fight me if I end up needing support. Still silly that they list compatible through 2012 on E9X platform, as if the 2013 E92 doesn't exist. I'm guessing this has to do with model year versus build dates and how countries handle it differently.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...27324c4dWIx981

Wish me luck.
      07-14-2021, 01:36 PM   #518
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I just went ahead and bought a Carsara one that listed E92 in the title. I know they are basically all the same box, but I wanted to make sure it said E92 in the title in case they try to fight me if I end up needing support. Still silly that they list compatible through 2012 on E9X platform, as if the 2013 E92 doesn't exist. I'm guessing this has to do with model year versus build dates and how countries handle it differently.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...27324c4dWIx981

Wish me luck.
Yup, first time I ordered one of these the seller was insistent that there was no such thing as a 2013 E92. Asked for pictures of my controller and idrive menu and everything. Even after I sent it they basically said I'm on my own if they send me CIC version and it doesn't work.
      07-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #519
netio
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Good luck.
Cheers
Rob

Update-

Carsara support claims that they have installed these units on many cars and this is the first time they have heard about the controller connectivity issue. They requested pictures of the harness, connectors and another video of connecting everything using method 1 to troubleshoot the issue with their "engineer".

Anyways, they concluded that I might have a faulty harness and they will be mailing out a new replacement harness today.

Rob, when you get a chance, it would be helpful if you can try installing it and see if you run into similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 02:21 AM   #520
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Update-

Carsara support claims that they have installed these units on many cars and this is the first time they have heard about the controller connectivity issue. They requested pictures of the harness, connectors and another video of connecting everything using method 1 to troubleshoot the issue with their "engineer".

Anyways, they concluded that I might have a faulty harness and they will be mailing out a new replacement harness today.

Rob, when you get a chance, it would be helpful if you can try installing it and see if you run into similar issues.
Just as a matter of interest, this is the unit I ordered.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...5c564c4djB0qvs
It clearly shows the quadconnector, which is not what I received.

Anyway, this afternoon my state, Victoria, is going into a snap Covid 19 lockdown for 5 days from midnight. Now, I'll have time to have a play over the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #521
netio
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just as a matter of interest, this is the unit I ordered.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...5c564c4djB0qvs
It clearly shows the quadconnector, which is not what I received.

Anyway, this afternoon my state, Victoria, is going into a snap Covid 19 lockdown for 5 days from midnight. Now, I'll have time to have a play over the next few days.
That's the same link I used to place an order.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:59 PM   #522
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Update-

Just finished a trial installation.
No the system doesn't function correctly. Using the pdf sheet and 3 suggested methods of test.
Method 1 - the car radio and nav screen work, but the iDrive doesn't work. Cannot change the screen or select anything with iDrive. Note with ignition off and accessories off the box red led is on and green flashes. Looks like it is powered all the time.
Method 2 - defaults to Electronics failure on the screen. Leds same as method 1.
Method 3 - same as method 1. Leds the same
I'll write this up a little better and send it to Carsara and see what they think.
Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by blk33; 07-16-2021 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #523
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:

Look at the Andream unit. I am still looking for a work around on the AUX but supposed to work.

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...ew963wadcpxccc

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #524
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:

This behavior is common with tons of sellers on aliexpress. They will do anything in their ability to avoid giving you a refund.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 01:36 PM   #525
magungo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

I think i have a bad wiring loom with my quad lock carsara too. Ever since I installed it i noticed the iDrive contorller would slowly become more and more unresponsive. i've been messaging carsara this whole time and i've gone through a bunch of firmware updates. At this point though, it's gotten so bad that the default state is that the idrive controller is disconnected. I did take apart my dash to confirm that the idrive controller is fine when i plug it in directly into CIC. I'm going to ask for a new harness or else i'll just ask for a refund.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 09:50 PM   #526
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
backup camera grounding

is there a spot in the trunk hold that can be tapped into for grounding? it seems the tail light bolt isn't really connected to the chassis ground. I wonder if I can just solder to one of the tail lights bulb base or really need to bring it down to the battery.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 10:13 PM   #527
netio
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just finished a trial installation.
No the system doesn't function correctly. Using the pdf sheet and 3 suggested methods of test.
Method 1 - the car radio and nav screen work, but the iDrive doesn't work. Cannot change the screen or select anything with iDrive. Note with ignition off and accessories off the box red led is on and green flashes. Looks like it is powered all the time.
Method 2 - defaults to Electronics failure on the screen. Leds same as method 1.
Method 3 - same as method 1. Leds the same
I'll write this up a little better and send it to Carsara and see what they think.
Rob
That's too bad... most likely these units have not been tested on these cars and I don't think a faulty harness is an excuse. I will look to file a dispute for a full refund unless an older model can be shipped as a replacement i.e. one that would actually match the description.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 02:55 AM   #528
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
That's too bad... most likely these units have not been tested on these cars and I don't think a faulty harness is an excuse. I will look to file a dispute for a full refund unless an older model can be shipped as a replacement i.e. one that would actually match the description.
When you tested your unit, did you get similar results to what I did?
Appreciate 0