BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #18261
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
What's the deal? I haven't heard any feedback yet.
Which one are you thinking of getting?
Not sure, I've seen a few on IG on some of the euro builds, but I've yet to really read a solid review- even from the group buy that was on here a while back. Are people having problems?
      06-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #18262
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:
I'm not opposed to it, this is just my knee jerk reaction when I see pictures of data on here. I'm also not very tolerant of things like the battery problems several people describe. I'm not opposed to giving it a try.

That's because people are over-eager to have big complex worksheets...it certainly looks cool on screen. You need to have a simple setup for reviewing at the track. Mine is only: speed, accelerator, brake, Gsum, and time differential. Otherwise, you are correct -- you'll get lost in having 500 changing variables and never develop an "actionable" approach to your next session.

If I want to get into the weeds to squeeze out every tenth, I do that at home later on and start checking things like steering position, tire temps, cumulative G, best sectors, whatever.

Have you ever considered some coaching to help you configure this stuff and learn the fundamentals?
Coaching is something I plan on getting more serious with. I'd definitely want help interpreting data.
      06-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #18263
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Coaching is something I plan on getting more serious with. I'd definitely want help interpreting data.
PM me if you want the name of someone who could potentially do some of the AIM "familiarization" stuff virtually, along with coaching. He also sells the devices (with RAM mounts) at a fair price and could get it pre-configured for you.
roastbeef11571.50
Exclusivs540.50
      06-22-2021, 10:23 AM   #18264
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not opposed to it, this is just my knee jerk reaction when I see pictures of data on here. I'm also not very tolerant of things like the battery problems several people describe. I'm not opposed to giving it a try.

That's because people are over-eager to have big complex worksheets...it certainly looks cool on screen. You need to have a simple setup for reviewing at the track. Mine is only: speed, accelerator, brake, Gsum, and time differential. Otherwise, you are correct -- you'll get lost in having 500 changing variables and never develop an "actionable" approach to your next session.

If I want to get into the weeds to squeeze out every tenth, I do that at home later on and start checking things like steering position, tire temps, cumulative G, best sectors, whatever.

Have you ever considered some coaching to help you configure this stuff and learn the fundamentals?
You can get crazy complicated, but often times a coach is going to charge you to set up your data how they want to look at it.

You can have some really neat views into data that's as actionable and digestible as the Catalyst (I have both). I followed Rami's lead and bought a data view package from Ray Philips. Still working through all the profiles and channels as I recorded our 2 hour zoom walk through so I can digest it at my own pace.

Easy and actionable measures, cumulative G's, % at WOT throttle, and looking and your ability to set the car at turn entry to carry G's from braking into the turn but unlike a friction circle as a measure or time during the lap.
      06-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #18265
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Oh, and I'll go ahead and click that button in the upper corner and subscribe roastbeef

Please don't start your videos highlighting your apartment or drive to the shop. Skip all the meaningless shit and you'll be a welcome contrast to all the vlogs! Maybe even be grumpy or have Mrs Roastbeef come out and yell at you. 🤣
      06-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #18266
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
You can get crazy complicated, but often times a coach is going to charge you to set up your data how they want to look at it.

Maybe, but if you learn the fundamentals (to my earlier point), there is nothing stopping you from doing what you want. You need to set yourself up to be independently successful since your coach won't be there every time.

I stand by my recommendation to do a very simple view of speed, accelerator, brake, Gsum, and time differential.
      06-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #18267
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe, but if you learn the fundamentals (to my earlier point), there is nothing stopping you from doing what you want. You need to set yourself up to be independently successful since your coach won't be there every time.

I stand by my recommendation to do a very simple view of speed, accelerator, brake, Gsum, and time differential.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but they're not mutually exclusive. The fundamentals you've highlighted can be summarized on a single page profile view.

Further, regardless of a coaches presence they may still want those views to more quickly pinpoint causation of a given output.

Edit: but yes much like golf. Own your own driving (swing) by understanding what is happening and why and you'll be able to self correct or at least better test assumptions.
      06-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #18268
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Not sure, I've seen a few on IG on some of the euro builds, but I've yet to really read a solid review- even from the group buy that was on here a while back. Are people having problems?
I would not get the GB one, there has been more than one issue
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      06-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #18269
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

GOodyear SC3 track review: They're good

I ran a 1:10 vs. 1:06, M3 vs. SRF3, at my home track in its old 1.65 configuration, on Conti ECS's. Same day, both cars on track within half an hour of eachother or so.

On the SC3's, I ran a 1:34 vs. 1:30, M3 vs. SRF3, at my home track in a new 2.0 mile configuration. Same day again, sessions within half an hour of eachother again. So, 4 second gap despite an almost 50% longer lap.

Notably, the car was very close to being able to hold WOT all the way through the banking, at speeds north of 100mph, whereas on the ECS the car was dancing down in the high 90-mph range through the apex of the high banks.

So, I'd guess on the shorter config, just going to the SC3's would have been worth about 1.5 seconds with no other changes to the car, in significantly hotter weather than the ECS track sessions I did. They also held up to the punishment of the banking a LOT better, there is still tread void left on the outside shoulders!

I was also about 2 seconds quicker than the American Sedan racecars at the track, which is a ~400hp, 3250lb, caged Ponycar with suspension and hoosiers class.

Dang.

Last edited by Richbot; 06-22-2021 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #18270
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

What sort of Gsum improvements did you see? One-tenth? More?
      06-22-2021, 07:51 PM   #18271
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I would not get the GB one, there has been more than one issue
is there a thread somewhere? can you elaborate? are you treading lightly because you're hoping for a positive outcome?

whats the "good" brand lightweight dct flywheel?
      06-22-2021, 08:13 PM   #18272
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, and I'll go ahead and click that button in the upper corner and subscribe roastbeef

Please don't start your videos highlighting your apartment or drive to the shop. Skip all the meaningless shit and you'll be a welcome contrast to all the vlogs! Maybe even be grumpy or have Mrs Roastbeef come out and yell at you. 🤣
there will be no shortage of mrs beef yelling at me in the background. i'm naturally grumpy, so no sweat there.

i want to talk about quality parts. why one is better than the other. function theory from a basic knowledge perspective. i'm no engineer or anything like that, i just like this stuff so i embrace it.
one of the things i'm firm on for this build is the aeromotions dynamic wing. active aero based on canbus inputs? i love it. there is very little content on it.
      06-22-2021, 08:18 PM   #18273
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Is there clear reason for aeromotions over victor racing's active aero?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 08:56 PM   #18274
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
ok track friends, lets talk about some fun stuff. i've talked about little tidbits of my vision for this car from time to time, but i'm going to lay out the majority of the coming build if everything falls into place. the focus is on function, but there is definitely some cool factor involved.

-recaro podium seats (pending they fit me ok)
-hans device/harnesses
-bk seat sliders
-m24 carbon hood
-m24 carbon trunk
-schirmer oem doors (retains oem handles and window, requires cage)
-custom cage, fia standard spec (unk builder)
-moton 2ways, true rear coils
-fall line rear lca's
-full spl treatment
-plastics4performance rear quarter and rear windows
-a/c delete
-tune
-aeromotions 72" dynamic wing
-zebulon front splitter
-headlight blanks
-carbon dash
-blank door cards
-speaker delete, idrive delete, wire optomization, weight optimized dash tube
-extra set of apex wheels
-lsd
-d088 dct cooler
-lightweight dct flywheel
-jp marketing full diffuser
-more holes in places i haven't discovered yet

i'm no 100% set on the zebulon front splitter. i want to see how it connects and how it settles in with the front bumper. gabe has an excellent write up, but just seeing it in person helps me out a lot. i'm sure i'll bump into alex or gabe sometime in the fall. a gts rep with an extra extended lower piece would also be cool. and i'd ripoff the zebulon splitter shock absorber mounts that allow for upward travel. we'll see.

i'll likely pickup a 2022 f250 and an enclosed trailer about this time in 2022. some parts will take priority over others, like the doors. they might be a finishing piece so they don't get banged up in the process.

when some of the more tasty parts get ordered, i'll start a detailed video series. i feel like that area of content is missing and want to try it out.

thoughts or ideas?
You forgot to add driver coaching to your list.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 09:02 PM   #18275
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripclubDJ View Post
i have to actually make it to the track for that...
slcook541859.50
      06-22-2021, 09:07 PM   #18276
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbr8king View Post
never even heard of them. i'm going to have to explore their product, thanks.
      06-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #18277
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Track??? Weird. I thought this was just a SEMA build.
admranger2981.50
      06-22-2021, 09:13 PM   #18278
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Quote:
That's what a meant , a coach to teach you how to drive to the track
Appreciate 4
roastbeef11571.50
Davisca4552207.50
slcook541859.50
admranger2981.50
      06-22-2021, 10:16 PM   #18279
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
is there a thread somewhere? can you elaborate? are you treading lightly because you're hoping for a positive outcome?

I'm not sure there is a good brand dct/6mt flywheel

Short story:
Two ttv failures. One took out the dct while it failed. The splines are made out of butter and fail very quickly, welding itself to the dct shaft.
Ttv said they had done additional R&D (I guess they refer to the dct they broke and did not pay for in a customer's car) and were now strengthening the splined portion. This was post-GB

I took mine off the car and it's sitting on a shelf. Mine was not one of the failures. I am not expecting any solve at all, perhaps I will send mine in to be strengthened and then sell it as the chatter at idle was driving me crazy anyway. I am not amused at the install/uninstall cost for this piece of shit.
Appreciate 3
roastbeef11571.50
Exclusivs540.50
      06-22-2021, 10:26 PM   #18280
atopa2002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M, 2013 e92 M3, F15 X5

Quote:

look for OG post
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11571.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      06-22-2021, 11:06 PM   #18281
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbr8king View Post
couple things i already dislike about the victor racing wing. not much "about" info to read on their website. this sort of leads me to read between the lines- no info on where the wing/components are made (probably china). i couldn't find any test data or construction info.
aeromotions founder went to MIT and has tested their airfoil in a wind tunnel. i also found a video of a dude standing on one. the aeromotions unit is able to hold 900lbs.

i screenshotted the pic below from a video on the vicor unit. its gigantic. the aeromotions wing weighs under 10lbs., and the actuators are contained within the uprights. the computer is a little bigger than a wallet.

another thing i noticed was the wing mounting points aeromotions pivots on the front mounting point and it is significantly forward of the rear "rams" that actuate the movement in the wing. video of the victor wing appears to show the mounting points are close together. the stability and rigidity of the wing appears to be effected by this. the victor wing seems to move around and vibrate pretty good. i suspect the closer mounting points are used to give the actuators a mechanical advantage for a quicker response and create a quicker movement.

the aeromotions unit is also made in the usa.
Attached Images

Last edited by roastbeef; 06-23-2021 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:53 AM   #18282
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII

Are you doing any sort of cost/benefit analysis on this build? $6k for a wing sounds nuts to me outside of an unlimited budget or for someone scratching for fractions of seconds.