BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

04-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #1937
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The Andream CCC instructions say to run a cord from the aux in the armrest to the new harness, which is why people are doing it. My guess is that the poster above screwed up another step in the process, which involves removing an optic cable and replacing it, but that is just a guess. I followed the instructions and it works.

There probably is a way to avoid the going to the armrest when installing a CCC Andream. Maybe it involves coding or maybe just swapping wires. I am better at following instructions than figuring out electronics so I will have to wait for someone else to figure that out and even then I doubt I will change anything unless there is a sound benefit. Running the new aux cable is probably the easiest part of the installation.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 05:18 PM   #1938
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The Andream CCC instructions say to run a cord from the aux in the armrest to the new harness, which is why people are doing it. My guess is that the poster above screwed up another step in the process, which involves removing an optic cable and replacing it, but that is just a guess. I followed the instructions and it works.

There probably is a way to avoid the going to the armrest when installing a CCC Andream. Maybe it involves coding or maybe just swapping wires. I am better at following instructions than figuring out electronics so I will have to wait for someone else to figure that out and even then I doubt I will change anything unless there is a sound benefit. Running the new aux cable is probably the easiest part of the installation.
I did move the MOST cable over to the new harness, but never coded out the USB/AUX. I don't know if you can "code out" USB/AUX with CCC. I'll try and get back. I bought OBDLINK MX+ and have Bimmer code iOS on my phone. Has anyone here been able to do the CCC unit without coding? I did get sound through the USB in the original mode but not when porting through ANDREAM only through original head unit. The only way to get sound was through the AUX cable.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 07:49 PM   #1939
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebmwM3 View Post
The only way to get sound was through the AUX cable.
That is the only way without coding.

Not sure what you mean porting through the Andream usb, that isn't a thing.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 09:06 PM   #1940
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
That is the only way without coding.

Not sure what you mean porting through the Andream usb, that isn't a thing.
just that the USB didn't output sound when I used the ANDREAM, only when I used the original headhunt.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 07:50 AM   #1941
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
just that the USB didn't output sound when I used the ANDREAM, only when I used the original headhunt.
Sorry, I am not sure I understand? There is no USB that outputs sound on the Andream unit afaik?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #1942
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Sorry, I am not sure I understand? There is no USB that outputs sound on the Andream unit afaik?
I meant to say that with the Andream unit running, the USB/AUX connection through iPhone did not provide sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #1943
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Anyone ever get an increased battery discharge light sometimes after installing these units? I get one when I've opened the doors frequently without running the car, since it powers up the unit. Not a huge deal, just curious if I'm the only one.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 07:05 AM   #1944
d3an.phillips
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808M View Post
After poking around in Bimmercode I was able to get my v2 Kremersino working without the aux cable!

The fields to code were in two difference places. This is my first time doing coding so I may have been stumbling around out of ignorance. The first field was under HMI and the last two fields were under a different area noted below. Without messing around with EQ it already sounds great!

3000 HMI
CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv

Thanks,

-Ken
Sorry if I'm being stupid but coding this didn't work for me. Do these settings only work for vehicles fitted with a Combox? I have a CIC system but without Combox. When I coded the options in this post, I get the 'AUX Front' option appear in the navigation, but I get no sound at all from the CarPlay MMI.

The MMI is wired to the iDrive controller on my model rather than a quadlock in the back of the Headunit - is this why?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 08:17 AM   #1945
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3an.phillips View Post
Sorry if I'm being stupid but coding this didn't work for me. Do these settings only work for vehicles fitted with a Combox? I have a CIC system but without Combox. When I coded the options in this post, I get the 'AUX Front' option appear in the navigation, but I get no sound at all from the CarPlay MMI.

The MMI is wired to the iDrive controller on my model rather than a quadlock in the back of the Headunit - is this why?
You'd have to check if your MMI unit has the audio wires going directly to the aux in pins on the back of the headunit.

This is a video that shows which pins the aux front uses, ignore that he is using it to add a audio jack to a low spec car that didn't come with the usb/aux in the arm rest.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 10:03 AM   #1946
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
Anyone ever get an increased battery discharge light sometimes after installing these units? I get one when I've opened the doors frequently without running the car, since it powers up the unit. Not a huge deal, just curious if I'm the only one.
Before you run around in circles trying to track this down, make sure you have a fresh battery in the car.

Had similar issues with that warning- and it was just the battery. Essentially it couldn't hold enough of a charge while sleeping due to the age of the battery.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #1947
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Before you run around in circles trying to track this down, make sure you have a fresh battery in the car.

Had similar issues with that warning- and it was just the battery. Essentially it couldn't hold enough of a charge while sleeping due to the age of the battery.
Yeah, I had increased discharge issues when I bought my car, and this made it worse (mostly because I spent tons of time sitting with the doors open and lights on while tinkering with settings and pairing).

Turns out I had the original battery from 2010 in my car.
      04-30-2021, 11:31 AM   #1948
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

It's 6 years and 40k miles old, and measures 12.1 volts with the car off. Maybe I'll get a fresh one soon-ish. Never any issues starting the car or anything
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #1949
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
It's 6 years and 40k miles old, and measures 12.1 volts with the car off. Maybe I'll get a fresh one soon-ish. Never any issues starting the car or anything
That battery is 100% toast. I didn't have issues with starting the car when mine went either. You have to throw your experience with other cars out the window on this issue.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #1950
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Quote:
That battery is 100% toast. I didn't have issues with starting the car when mine went either. You have to throw your experience with other cars out the window on this issue.
Yep, fully concur...~2wks after MMI install batt tanked [3yrs old; 40K mls].
Also, upgraded with new aftermarket batt with larger reserve than OE.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #1951
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i   [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I had the same issue. My battery was fine prior to installing but upon pulling it after I started getting issues with low battery I noticed the age was almost 10 years old. I swapped with a. New battery and nary an issue since.
See Garage for Mods
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #1952
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannyjock View Post
Success! I've managed to code the headunit to use the aux input from the harness using Bimmercode. This is using the Carsara box. The values I changed were:

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv

@Cyberdemon I tried to code it with the can cable as it is - this didn't work, the app couldn't connect to the headunit module. I then wired in the iDrive harness, connecting it to the can high cable (not sure if this really matters) and I could then code it.

It was a little tricky to route the cable from under the front of the gearstick, down to the drivers footwell and back up into the headunit area but it worked - the Bimmertech video helped again.

The sound seems better than via the aux cable, with bass in particular better defined. I need to spend more time playing with the EQ and try some direct comparisons but so far so good.

I still have Bluetooth streaming via the Combox working which was one concern raised earlier.

The only (very minor) negative is that when the system starts up there doesn't seem to be any sound, until I switch to aux again - however this is very easy as I have a shortcut button set up for it (the row of numbered buttons on the CIC headunit) and just press this then it's OK. It seems that the aux in volume stays as 0 unless I do this. Doesn't really bother me.

BTW - never coded the BMW before, Bimmercode (£30) and a cheap (£20) vGate adapter was very easy to use. Only issue I had was that it wouldn't seem to connect to the car, then I tried starting the engine and it worked OK then. Seems easier than using a laptop with cable, and gives some easy shortcut options in addition to 'expert' coding.
I purchased a CarPlay Andream Unit (https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...ew963wadcpxccc) for a 2008 BMW M3 CCC system with Logic 7 extended sound, USB/iPod/AUX in center console. I tried to install but could not get sound unless I attached the AUX cable to center console AUX input. I have bimmercode and based on what I've read in these threads, I am trying to "code out" USB in center console so that I can run the system without running a cable into AUX in center console. Can you help me? Where do I go in Bimmercode to find these sections? I can't find them. Is this reversible?

What did you mean by:

"I tried to code it with the can cable as it is - this didn't work, the app couldn't connect to the headunit module. I then wired in the iDrive harness, connecting it to the can high cable (not sure if this really matters) and I could then code it."

What's a can cable?

I apologize for being so specific, I've never done this before.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by georgebmwM3; 05-02-2021 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #1953
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
I purchased a CarPlay Andream Unit (https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...ew963wadcpxccc) for a 2008 BMW M3 CCC system with Logic 7 extended sound, USB/iPod/AUX in center console. I tried to install but could not get sound unless I attached the AUX cable to center console AUX input. I have bimmercode and based on what I've read in these threads, I am trying to "code out" USB in center console so that I can run the system without running a cable into AUX in center console. Can you help me? Where do I go in Bimmercode to find these sections? I can't find them. Is this reversible?

What did you mean by:

"I tried to code it with the can cable as it is - this didn't work, the app couldn't connect to the headunit module. I then wired in the iDrive harness, connecting it to the can high cable (not sure if this really matters) and I could then code it."

What's a can cable?

I apologize for being so specific, I've never done this before.

Thank you in advance.
I am not certain if these coding settings will work for the CCC. It is a different piece of hardware and it would make sense that the configuration variables are not the same. In Bimmercode those settings should be in the expert settings, but I don't know that those are there for the CCC at all.

Cannyjock was referring to the Carsara unit which when connected to the Canbus/Quadlock connector on the back of the CIC unit prevents the unit from being coded, so it needs to be disconnected before coding can work.
      05-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #1954
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I am not certain if these coding settings will work for the CCC. It is a different piece of hardware and it would make sense that the configuration variables are not the same. In Bimmercode those settings should be in the expert settings, but I don't know that those are there for the CCC at all.

Cannyjock was referring to the Carsara unit which when connected to the Canbus/Quadlock connector on the back of the CIC unit prevents the unit from being coded, so it needs to be disconnected before coding can work.
Thank you. I'm going to go though all the menus and see what I can find that might relate. I am not in a hurry to change anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 01:24 PM   #1955
Bamboo123
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e91

Quick question guys, for the people who connected the idrive controller from A-B which means you cannot code the idrive does this also effect updating the service miles and date section can this still be done if anyone try it ?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #1956
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Coding CCC headunit

Has anyone ever coded a ccc for aux with the Andream to work without a cable to center console? I used BimmerCode for my ccc system, but it’s very different from cic menus listed above. Mine has “not mounted” under “Aux” but the aux/usb works in my center console and Aux/usb is listed in my idrive. Thank you for your helpful posts.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #1957
stalechips
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Has anyone ever coded a ccc for aux with the Andream to work without a cable to center console? I used BimmerCode for my ccc system, but it’s very different from cic menus listed above. Mine has “not mounted” under “Aux” but the aux/usb works in my center console and Aux/usb is listed in my idrive. Thank you for your helpful posts.
It's pretty easy to route the cable, and you can just drop it straight down the front side behind the air / radio controls, to the front of the center console and along the side to the arm area.

You then just plug it into the AUX port in the center console and you should be good to go.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2021, 03:37 PM   #1958
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

I had everything running, but now the mic stopped working. I checked the wires as they appear fine but I can’t explain this behaviour:

1 using cic mic with cic works without carsara harness

2 using carsara harness means this same mic no longer works in CarPlay or in CIC

3 tried external mic on harness also doesn’t work

My only explanation is that the cable I ran up the a pillar is now broken internally
Appreciate 0