BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

12-28-2019, 11:59 PM   #815
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnygator View Post
Hello all,

I've been looking at this thread for quite some time now and I must say I'm impressed by those who were willing to take the plunge and purchase this relatively unfinished product!
Everybody seems to be focussing on Apple Carplay at the moment, but is any of these units compatible with Android Auto? I've seen pictures posted here of some sort of 'main screen' on which one of the options seemed to be Android Auto, but discussion seems to mainly concern the iSolution

Yes I drive an E89, but from what I've read the internal hardware does not seem too different from E9X.
EDIT: internal hardware in terms of iDrive and the like, I do not pretend to own a car that can match an M3

Kind regards
I will try to pick up an Android phone to test with it soon.. I'm in the communication tech business and need to get an Android phone for our test bench anyway so I'll test it out with the latest carplay unit as well.. probably later this coming week.
Appreciate 2
derbo3612.50
      12-29-2019, 04:16 AM   #816
Bonnygator
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4 sDrive23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
I will try to pick up an Android phone to test with it soon.. I'm in the communication tech business and need to get an Android phone for our test bench anyway so I'll test it out with the latest carplay unit as well.. probably later this coming week.
Wonderful, do let us know! Would be amazing to bring this ageing iDrive platform back up to date.
What unit are you running if I may ask? I've seen mentions of Kremersino, UniChip and JoyeAuto units, but I'm not quite sure which one people here are actually going for.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #817
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnygator View Post
Wonderful, do let us know! Would be amazing to bring this ageing iDrive platform back up to date.
What unit are you running if I may ask? I've seen mentions of Kremersino, UniChip and JoyeAuto units, but I'm not quite sure which one people here are actually going for.
I'm running the latest Kremersino "wireless" unit - link. This is the unit that's being recently discussed in this thread.

I just noticed they've updated the description on their listing to reflect the issue with Siri:

" What you will get in this new version BMW Wireless Carplay box?

Wireless Connection for Carplay

Wireless Connection for Android Auto

Using Factory/OE Microphone(it will use Bluetooth channel. Due to original call also goes through Bluetooth channels, for CIC unit, maybe sometimes SIRI will be not hear you on carplay system, for NBT unit, everything is working good)"
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2019, 04:44 PM   #818
washere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

I wonder if there is a way to code in the the CIC's built-in Aux so the unit could use that directly instead of the combox one (which needs to be wired)? I have seen some of that stuff in the CIC module and the Combox module? Also, for what it is worth, in my car (2013 E93), the Aux port seems to go both to the radio AND the combox (6 wires instead of 3-4 of other Aux modules I have seen.) I also wonder if there is a way to output this in digital in the first place (I know some of the screen replacements can do this) and then code it into the phone plug-in instead?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 08:39 PM   #819
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by washere View Post
I wonder if there is a way to code in the the CIC's built-in Aux so the unit could use that directly instead of the combox one (which needs to be wired)? I have seen some of that stuff in the CIC module and the Combox module? Also, for what it is worth, in my car (2013 E93), the Aux port seems to go both to the radio AND the combox (6 wires instead of 3-4 of other Aux modules I have seen.) I also wonder if there is a way to output this in digital in the first place (I know some of the screen replacements can do this) and then code it into the phone plug-in instead?
Somebody earlier in this thread mentioned coding the CIC for "CDMM_AUX_HU" = aktiv (versus not active) to activate the wired-in AUX on the back of the CIC unit active (instead of the armrest AUX 3.5mm input).. I coded this but it did not work. On another forum I read that you basically have to disable 6FL completely for this to work, which disables your factory bluetooth audio streaming features as well (which is what the carplay unit uses when it piggybacks off your factory bluetooth). I may be wrong but this was my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:43 PM   #820
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:
Somebody earlier in this thread mentioned coding the CIC for "CDMM_AUX_HU" = aktiv (versus not active) to activate the wired-in AUX on the back of the CIC unit active (instead of the armrest AUX 3.5mm input).. I coded this but it did not work. On another forum I read that you basically have to disable 6FL completely for this to work, which disables your factory bluetooth audio streaming features as well (which is what the carplay unit uses when it piggybacks off your factory bluetooth). I may be wrong but this was my understanding.
Combox coding has a few differences as laid in this post. Nothing about AUX tho. Hmm the search continues. I'll most likely install my new unit soon.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25320346
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #821
washere
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Combox coding has a few differences as laid in this post. Nothing about AUX tho. Hmm the search continues. I'll most likely install my new unit soon.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25320346
I will have to pull it all up on my other computer, but IIRC one of the inputs on the combox is in coded to the "analog" I always assumed that was actually the Aux?
What about rewiring the aux out of the carplay unit to go directly to the aux port "plug"? This should essentially be the same but without the cruddy caps and resisters that are causing the poor sound.
Does the CIC have a CD Changer input? Could we use an adapter with that and ideally go digital out of the carplay box into the CIC?

I am just shooting in the dark here since I have not tried any of these things, but I wonder if anyone has explored any of these things?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #822
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

brettcp I'm also curious as I have 6FL but do not have combox (5/2010 build date). When my unit arrives, I'll find out what works and what doesnt...lol
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #823
washere
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
brettcp I'm also curious as I have 6FL but do not have combox (5/2010 build date). When my unit arrives, I'll find out what works and what doesnt...lol
I think you will be fine. It is the Combox that is the issue. With the combox they run the Aux through the combox onto the audio bus instead of doing it at the radio (CIC).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:29 AM   #824
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I think you will be fine. It is the Combox that is the issue. With the combox they run the Aux through the combox onto the audio bus instead of doing it at the radio (CIC).
I hope so! Your idea of rewiring is interesting. If I have to update to Combox, I'll have to tinker with that idea too.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #825
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

I followed up with Michael last night to see where their progress is regarding a software update regarding the system not always switching over to the factory mic for siri, and not always switching back to the factory speakers after a phone call etc.. he said "our engineer is working on new software" and said the software is "misjudging" the audio connection sometimes so they are working to fix it. It sounds like they do understand the issue. If they iron out these things, we'll be in good shape.
Appreciate 1
derbo3612.50
      01-03-2020, 04:23 PM   #826
rob10k8
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi

Quote:
I followed up with Michael last night to see where their progress is regarding a software update regarding the system not always switching over to the factory mic for siri, and not always switching back to the factory speakers after a phone call etc.. he said "our engineer is working on new software" and said the software is "misjudging" the audio connection sometimes so they are working to fix it. It sounds like they do understand the issue. If they iron out these things, we'll be in good shape.
I just received a response from Micheal saying essentially the same. Since the unit is using the factory mic, it sometimes gets confused.

I have figured out how to fix audio issues when they come up.

If I don’t have sound, I switch to another audio source and then back to BT. Essentially, I press “Radio” (this turns off video for CarPlay), then “Media” and make sure I select BT, then a 3 sec press of “Menu” to go back to CarPlay.

If it doesn’t connect (i.e. Car Play doesn't turn on.) On my phone, I will select the car Play WiFi and i t usually connects right away. I haven’t run into this too
much tho....

This is for an F32 with NBT...

Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #827
washere
Private
Rep

I have the "new" box connected. Like bettcp, I can't get the backup to work. I don't know why. I connected it properly, I checked the voltage going to the camera, it is is correct, but no picture. The system DOES switch the screen to show the video, there is just nothing there. I may need to do some research into a new solution for backup.
I am also having some issues with carplay working at all.
Sometimes it doesn't see the phone at all. I am able to use "hey siri" and I am also not seeing it have issues switching (yet). But hopefully the software update will resolve that.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #828
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Does anyone have non-COMBOX and 6FL here that installed the new box?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #829
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob10k8 View Post
Quote:
It sounds like they're working on a software update, in response to my reports about Siri not consistently taking over the factory mic/speaker, they've mentioned "changing a software" and "we'll see if we can fix it" so hopefully something will be released soon.
I haven't tried Siri until today and found that I am having the same problem (I have a F32 which has NBT).

Sometimes when I press the button on the steering wheel, I hear the beep of Siri over my speakers, but other times I do not. It does however, always seem to hear me over the factory mic. Also, sometimes, it does not go back to CarPlay and I get no sound. I haven't done a lot of testing on this, so all I can say is that sometime it doesn't work.

Also, one other thing I noticed is that it is a bit slower to show the backup camera when putting in reverse and also slower to go back to normal after going back into drive. Even though it is slower, it isn't so bad that makes me wait until the backup camera unusable (or where I would have to sit for a second until the image appears). It's just a bit slower - I'm guessing, it just takes the CarPlay box a little longer to do it's thing.

Rob
Have a e90 and installed two different rear view cameras

First one broke but it was a simple rear with parking lines. This one turned on right away when reversing

Second one I just installed was a fish eye with Sony low light sensor. Quality of this one was much better but it took ~5 seconds longer to boot up. Also the delay was camera turning on and not switching to the backup screen.

Not sure if your camera is oem or aftermarket.
      01-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #830
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Daniboy

Looks like I'm in the same boat as you. Does your Siri work with the OEM mic? I can't seem to get it to work. It works with the external mic right now which completely eliminates the reason I got this in the first place..lol

Hey Siri works but it appears to be using the phone's mic.

Edit:
Michael@Kremersino seems to want me to select external devices -> Bluetooth iPhone. Unforunately, without combox, this is not possible.

Last edited by derbo; 01-04-2020 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:50 PM   #831
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll have a Pixel 3 XL on Tuesday (Jan 7th) and will test Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 12:23 AM   #832
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Confirmed with the engineer.

You need combox in order to use the OEM Mic. Like brettcp said they want you to use Bluetooth audio to utilize it. I'm guessing the Chinese E90s they tested already have combox.

Looks like I'm adding a combox.

I also have the good perfectly working 2nd version for sale if anyone wants it. PM me.

Apple Maps seems to not turn to night for me. But google and Waze work fine and can convert to the night colors when it's dark. Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 01:01 AM   #833
808M
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums but been lurking for a while.

I took the plunge and bought and installed a unit for Android use. I got it working with the exception of audio which I later found out requires the AUX connector. I'm on the fence regarding keeping it since it also has problems with the backup camera.

This is for an E92 with combox.

UPDATE: looks like I was not sent a cable to do the AUX install. Can anyone else confirm if they did/ didn't receive this cable?

Thanks,

-Ken

Last edited by 808M; 01-05-2020 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #834
washere
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808M View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

I took the plunge and bought and installed a unit for Android use. I got it working with the exception of audio which I later found out requires the AUX connector. I'm on the fence regarding keeping it since it also has problems with the backup camera.

UPDATE: looks like I was not sent a cable to do the AUX install. Can anyone else confirm if they did/ didn't receive this cable?

Thanks,

-Ken
I did not. I was wondering about that too. So your backup doesn't work either? Same thing? Just blank screen?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #835
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808M View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,

-Ken
My kit included two variations of AUX cables - one that is wired directly into the CIC hard-wired AUX input (on the back of the CIC unit iself), and another that provides a 3.5mm male plug (to plug into the center console AUX port).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 02:19 PM   #836
808M
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
I did not. I was wondering about that too. So your backup doesn't work either? Same thing? Just blank screen?
Correct - mine goes blank but I didn't previously have a working setup so don't know if I have everything setup correctly.
Appreciate 0