BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #1431
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

do you think there is any benefit to having the goal of running 1:51-1:52 laps consistently as well? i would speculate that part of your experience in that very capable car comes from managing tires and heat. i would think the repetition of doing laps at a slightly slower pace helps keep you comfortable, relaxed, and consistent. then it becomes second nature and pushing just a little more becomes easier.
      11-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #1432
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
Keep up the long posts. I like reading all the detail. I think what also helps is you came with a car you've had a long time and are familiar with and you know generally what does and doesn't work. So many of these shops bring out underdeveloped cars it seems.

You said your car never runs as well after a few hot laps. Is it possible to upgrade more components so it just runs the same for a full 20-30 minute session? That would annoy me like no other to not feel like I had consistent power.
Like Mr Bone says, his car cannot put max power down for extended periods of time, however, his use case is very specific. Another person driving his same car would probably have zero heat related issues even in 30 min stints.

People grossly overestimate how much they are pushing cars at the track. At times Joe Six Pack will tell you how his E92 M3 doesn't overheat at all with the stock cooling and a Stage2 tune while running street tires... or running slicks but not fast...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #1433
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

lol

joe six pack manages to grind the front tires off the car every weekend though so he buys a square setup and suspension and promptly bins it or sells the car because his friend’s Porsche’s PASM computer is still faster
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
Kelse921131.50
      11-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #1434
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
do you think there is any benefit to having the goal of running 1:51-1:52 laps consistently as well? i would speculate that part of your experience in that very capable car comes from managing tires and heat. i would think the repetition of doing laps at a slightly slower pace helps keep you comfortable, relaxed, and consistent. then it becomes second nature and pushing just a little more becomes easier.
At first I was like why would he want to do that in Time Attack, but I see the logic in just pounding out laps to work on consistency. I'll do that sometimes in DE's where you're not going to get a lot of clean laps.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #1435
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
lol

joe six pack manages to grind the front tires off the car every weekend though so he buys a square setup and suspension and promptly bins it or sells the car because his friend’s Porsche’s PASM computer is still faster
Not to derail the tread too much, but this is so accurate

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      11-20-2019, 08:52 PM   #1436
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You're asking if there's value to running consistently a few seconds off maximum pace? Sure. That's just straight up practicing the fundamentals. Working on building good habits at a slower pace helps you to have the proper muscle memory when things are happening more quickly.

But, there's no replacing feeling the car at maximum pace. All the forces on the body are higher and more jarring, reaction time has to be quicker, braking is more urgent at higher pace, positioning the car where you want it is more difficult, the margins for mistakes are reduced, the braking zones change at higher speeds, and learning how to get on the gas for maximum acceleration is a feel thing that can't be learned at slower paces. So, you need to feel all these things out and understand them.
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11574.50
//steve\\1074.00
      11-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #1437
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Running a few seconds off because you're short shifting and lifting and coasting has value - you're on the limit of adhesion without caning the car to the limit of its abilities and endurance

Running a few seconds off because you have fists of ham, balls of steel, and brains of cobwebs isn't particularly productive
      11-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #1438
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Regardless of my approach to the event, the question still remains——if there were a bunch of formidable cars signed up that should have pushed me to 6th or 7th place, how did I still end up on the podium? The answer is simple: It’s time attack baby! Nothing ever goes according to plan!

Let’s look at some of the competition and what their end results were:

1st place -Evasive Motorsport Toyota 86 - this car was Super fast. They hired a pro Japanese driver. The car was built as a hill climb car. It set the fastest lap of the event. (At one point, this car stopped on track for some reason. Not sure why.)

2nd place -Caliber Customs Corvette - this car is an incredible build. I mentioned a few weeks ago that when Corvettes are built correctly, they fly. And this car did not disappoint. 850hp 2800lbs. This thing was serious. It ran one lap in the first session--1:44. Then second session, it broke down and was stuck on track. It shredded some piece that was made from Delrin. I saw a photo of the piece and it looked like a pile of shavings……holy mackerel. They packed the car up and left the track to go fix it. Spent the night CNC machining new parts. They arrived back at the track on Sunday with the fixed car in time for the first session of Day 2! Someone didn’t get much sleep!!! The car ran faster on Day 2.

4th place -Wide body white S2000 - this car made me nervous. I know Rhett Panter drove in the 1:47s last year with this car. I was worried he would drop a crazy lap in the last session. For whatever reason, it did not materialize. He was running hard though. Got within 0.4 sec of my time.

5th place -Nissan GTR - a few months ago, forum member StripclubDJ showed us pictures here on the forum of an incredible Nissan GTR build that he had done. This car was competing at SuperLap. And the car had brand new slicks. The car ran fine all weekend and by all accounts should have pushed me from the podium. I know the owner of the car. Super nice guy. We were chatting throughout the weekend. He was struggling to find clean/open laps. On Day 2, they gridded him last in our run group. This makes it tough to find open track. Ultimately, he got within 0.6 sec of my time. I have no doubt that in the future, he will be out crushing the competition running mid-low 1:40s in that amazing car.

(No time set) -Mitsubishi Evolution - I mentioned this car previously. A very formidable build with a ton of power. It was expected to run mid-low 1:40s with a pro driver at the wheel. However it caught fire on its first hot lap. The driver had the presence of mind to put the fire out and save the build, but the wiring harness suffered in the fire and the car never saw the track again.

(Did not run) -Mark Yager/Yimisport WRX STI - this car is super fast and usually runs in the low 1:40’s. However, the car had some technical issue and never ran a single lap all weekend.

In the end, the top three finishers in Unlimited were RWD cars. I think that’s pretty amazing.

Speaking of grid position——if I had waited to run my new tires on Session 1 of Day 2, I would have ended up very very frustrated. There was a WRX STI that did not run on Day 1, but was ready to run on Day 2. They put him in the grid right in front of me because he has a history of fairly quick lap times. While we were waiting in grid, I had gotten out of my car and was talking to Ryan Passey, who has an intense Miata build. While I was talking to him, a lady taps me on the shoulder. She says that her husband is the car in front of me and he just wanted to let me know that he has new brakes and won’t be going fast on his first hot lap…….So, I go over to his car and say hi. He says he has a new engine and new brakes so he needs a couple laps. I asked him if I should go in front of him….hahahaha….he says no, he’ll be fast. Ok…..Oh man…..I don’t know what he was doing on his out lap, but he spewed so much dirt on the track. There were rooster tails of dirt coming from his car in several corners. And it continued after the warm up lap. I was so annoyed. And clearly, the track people didn’t appreciate it either. They black flagged him and pulled him off the track. SO ridiculous. If I had had new tires on the car, I would have been screaming. This guy hadn’t run a single lap at this event…..yet they stick him in front of me and then he craps up the whole track. Second session, there he is again, in front of me. I got news for ya. He was NOT running faster than me. I ended up catching him and was on his ass, but could not get around him. Then Amir Bentatou catches both of us and can’t get around. I HATE impeding other people, but there was nowhere for me to go…… The STI’s fastest lap was 1:49.6. I went and complained to the grid boss that the STI was causing chaos. The STI was gone for the last two sessions, but by then it was hot. Also, in Session 2, the Evasive Toyota 86 craaaawwwllllled on the outlap and stacked everyone up behind him…..So, if I had waited until Day 2 to run new tires and been caught up in this nonsense, I would have been quite frustrated. But again, that’s time attack!

Once it was final that I had gotten 3rd, I had a silly “dilemma”. I know that the people on the podium usually spray each other with champagne. But I also knew that I had to fly back to CO that same evening, and I only had one pair of street shoes and I didn’t want to get on the airplane stinking like stale Champagne. (I also didn’t want to go up in my race shoes and trash those.) So, my wife was laughing at me on the phone and told me to go up in my socks. So that’s what I did. If you look at the pix (or video below), I’m standing there in my socks. I got sprayed pretty good. After the awards, I went back to my truck, poured water all over me, changed clothes and was happy that my shoes were still dry. My suitcase did stink pretty strongly of stale champagne though…..hahaha

I’ll end my write up by telling you the most common question I was asked this weekend. I got this question more than any other while people were checking out my car: [With a confused face while looking around] “So————are you here doing this by yourself???” hehe Generally, at an event like this, all sorts of people like to come around and check out the cars. And the cars in contention seem to get a fairly steady flow of visitors. Right from the first session, I was in 3rd place. So, pretty much from the get-go, there were quite a few people coming around and checking the car out. My car is not your typical time attack machine, so people are wondering what the heck is going on with the BMW sedan. (Even the Livestream announcers were making fun of my car all weekend!) First, people come around and looky-loo around the car. There’s a fair amount of head shaking, like what the heck did this guy do to a grocery-getter. But then, they go beyond the car, and start looking at my setup. And then it dawns on them……there doesn’t appear to be a crew around the car. I’m just sitting in the trailer by myself hanging out on my phone. So, the most asked question I got this weekend was people wondering how I was pulling a weekend like this off without a crew because most other teams had a bunch of guys running around the cars. The answer is that the infrastructure of the BMW M3 is very reliable and that I’ve been running the car at 150+ HPDEs over the last 8 years. Many of these impressive builds have not been tested very much and need a big crew around them to keep things going. I’m used to being at the track by myself. But I’m not really by myself. Over the years, I have worked with three shops on a consistent basis, and they have done a GREAT job of keeping the car healthy. In the last month, I have visited all three shops that I normally work with—EAS, Minicorsa and Racewerkz Engineering, plus Chewerks for the suspension work. So, I may not have a crew with me at the track, but there have been a lot of eyes on the car prior to the event, and they have kept the car running. So, thanks to all those guys. To be honest, after all the running around I did on Day 1 in the AM, I really could use some trackside assistance. I was running things down to the last minute in some cases, which is never ideal. So, maybe in the future, I’ll hire someone to help me.

The Livestream was really cool this year. Carla Pestotnik joined the announcer team and she added a nice vibe to the event. As a racer who’s done time attack, she had good insights and provided some variety to the live call. I’ve put together a little montage of moments when my car was on-screen or my fast lap was flashed up in the results column. It’s fun to see the car from outside while it’s running on track. I don’t get that vantage very often. This Livestream enabled my family back in CO to watch the event live for the first time. That was cool.

Oh-----btw-----last night, my wife says to me, "So, on the Livestream, I saw that there's another SuperLap on your birthday in Feb. That's your 50th birthday. Are you going to do that?" Did my wife just open the door for me to hit COTA in Feb???!!!! I mean, I said a few days ago that it wasn't really on my radar, but in the last day, my wife opened the door to it, and I found out the track is going to repair the bumps in Dec and Jan, so I guess the track will be fresh and fancy by Feb?? hmmmmmm
Appreciate 7
b4hand661.00
//steve\\1074.00
Ngilbe361618.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
kyippee1072.00
Kelse921131.50
      11-20-2019, 11:26 PM   #1439
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Gabe,

Without totally gushing, you're one of joys of this forum! I love the lengthy posts, the data details, the honesty... Congrats on the podium.
      11-21-2019, 12:46 AM   #1440
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Oh-----btw-----last night, my wife says to me, "So, on the Livestream, I saw that there's another SuperLap on your birthday in Feb. That's your 50th birthday. Are you going to do that?" Did my wife just open the door for me to hit COTA in Feb???!!!! I mean, I said a few days ago that it wasn't really on my radar, but in the last day, my wife opened the door to it, and I found out the track is going to repair the bumps in Dec and Jan, so I guess the track will be fresh and fancy by Feb?? hmmmmmm
COME ON DOWN BROTHER
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 01:38 AM   #1441
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Gabe,

Without totally gushing, you're one of joys of this forum! I love the lengthy posts, the data details, the honesty... Congrats on the podium.
Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 01:40 AM   #1442
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
COME ON DOWN BROTHER
haha definitely thinking about it now.

Got some stuff to sort out on the car. Looking forward to figuring out the carbon doors now. They should be done soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 06:59 AM   #1443
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

When the wife says send it, you send it

Thanks for yet another good read. I like to see people find a car they love and stick with it and continue to go faster and faster instead of always chasing the next shiny car. I realize shops do this to stay relevant with current market and that probably won't change but it's cool to see a privateer come out and do well among the competition.
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4656.00
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      11-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #1444
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:

Hopefully they get the work knocked out by the end of Jan - cold and rain definitely can delay these type of repairs. SCCA is set up for Feb 8-9. The bumps are degrading pretty quickly now, they definitely need to get a handle on them before it becomes undriveable. Right now for us they are an annoyance but typically not trouble, but you could see in the USGP how much worse they are this year than the year before (think Vettel would agree).

If you make it down here let us know - if we don't have any conflicts that weekend we can come out and help with support if you want some extra hands out there. We can also bring lots of coffee - seeing how you are turning 50 and will probably start falling asleep around 4:00 in the afternoon or so...

Quote:
Not quite as much as with wheel to wheel - but I can definitely see banking laps at a slower pace still being helpful for time attack. For me it helps build muscle memory and develop/ingrain my visual cues to help me so that when I go max effort I am more on autopilot. Helps me put that much more of my already limited amount of brainpower towards my driving when it is time to push. Certainly will not replace full pace laps, definitely need to get them in as well. For me it just helps dial everything in just a bit more before going full send.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      11-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #1445
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Hopefully they get the work knocked out by the end of Jan - cold and rain definitely can delay these type of repairs. SCCA is set up for Feb 8-9. The bumps are degrading pretty quickly now, they definitely need to get a handle on them before it becomes undriveable. Right now for us they are an annoyance but typically not trouble, but you could see in the USGP how much worse they are this year than the year before (think Vettel would agree).

If you make it down here let us know - if we don't have any conflicts that weekend we can come out and help with support if you want some extra hands out there. We can also bring lots of coffee - seeing how you are turning 50 and will probably start falling asleep around 4:00 in the afternoon or so...
(Didn't the F1 tv coverage mention that Hamilton had a headache from the bumps or something?)

Yeah, I'll be curious to see how the timing goes with the repairs. If there's a bunch of delays/problems, it could wipe out all the events. These kinds of jobs always go according to plan right? Nothing unexpected ever happens.....

I appreciate your offer to help! I suspect I might hire a tech for something like COTA. But regardless, it would be fun to see the Texas forum members out there!

And isn't it rude that they never schedule nap time into these events?? Don't they know we get anxious and don't sleep well before events? Rude I tell ya!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #1446
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
(Didn't the F1 tv coverage mention that Hamilton had a headache from the bumps or something?)

Yeah, I'll be curious to see how the timing goes with the repairs. If there's a bunch of delays/problems, it could wipe out all the events. These kinds of jobs always go according to plan right? Nothing unexpected ever happens.....

I appreciate your offer to help! I suspect I might hire a tech for something like COTA. But regardless, it would be fun to see the Texas forum members out there!

And isn't it rude that they never schedule nap time into these events?? Don't they know we get anxious and don't sleep well before events? Rude I tell ya!
Yes very rude! Between the anxiety and the getting up to pee (or at least to try) five times during the night - a nice three hour nap midday would be spectacular.

We can make for a pretty enthusiastic but fairly ugly cheering section too. I'm about as useless as teets on a boar hog but do know some pretty decent people if you need some names on the tech side. I'm sure some of the others around here know some pretty good people as well.

Forgot Hamilton said that after practice. Just got to beat the heck out of those guys in places. Even going down the back straight was rough for them - if you watched any of the night racing from 24hr Hankook out there last weekend you can just watch the headlights bounce all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #1447
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Yes very rude! Between the anxiety and the getting up to pee (or at least to try) five times during the night - a nice three hour nap midday would be spectacular.

We can make for a pretty enthusiastic but fairly ugly cheering section too. I'm about as useless as teets on a boar hog but do know some pretty decent people if you need some names on the tech side. I'm sure some of the others around here know some pretty good people as well.

Forgot Hamilton said that after practice. Just got to beat the heck out of those guys in places. Even going down the back straight was rough for them - if you watched any of the night racing from 24hr Hankook out there last weekend you can just watch the headlights bounce all over the place.
I'm all about the ugly cheering section!

Alright, well I have a lot think about.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #1448
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Regardless of my approach to the event, the question still remains——if there were a bunch of formidable cars signed up that should have pushed me to 6th or 7th place, how did I still end up on the podium? The answer is simple: It's time attack baby! Nothing ever goes according to plan!

Let's look at some of the competition and what their end results were:

1st place -Evasive Motorsport Toyota 86 - this car was Super fast. They hired a pro Japanese driver. The car was built as a hill climb car. It set the fastest lap of the event. (At one point, this car stopped on track for some reason. Not sure why.)

2nd place -Caliber Customs Corvette - this car is an incredible build. I mentioned a few weeks ago that when Corvettes are built correctly, they fly. And this car did not disappoint. 850hp 2800lbs. This thing was serious. It ran one lap in the first session--1:44. Then second session, it broke down and was stuck on track. It shredded some piece that was made from Delrin. I saw a photo of the piece and it looked like a pile of shavings……holy mackerel. They packed the car up and left the track to go fix it. Spent the night CNC machining new parts. They arrived back at the track on Sunday with the fixed car in time for the first session of Day 2! Someone didn't get much sleep!!! The car ran faster on Day 2.

4th place -Wide body white S2000 - this car made me nervous. I know Rhett Panter drove in the 1:47s last year with this car. I was worried he would drop a crazy lap in the last session. For whatever reason, it did not materialize. He was running hard though. Got within 0.4 sec of my time.

5th place -Nissan GTR - a few months ago, forum member StripclubDJ showed us pictures here on the forum of an incredible Nissan GTR build that he had done. This car was competing at SuperLap. And the car had brand new slicks. The car ran fine all weekend and by all accounts should have pushed me from the podium. I know the owner of the car. Super nice guy. We were chatting throughout the weekend. He was struggling to find clean/open laps. On Day 2, they gridded him last in our run group. This makes it tough to find open track. Ultimately, he got within 0.6 sec of my time. I have no doubt that in the future, he will be out crushing the competition running mid-low 1:40s in that amazing car.

(No time set) -Mitsubishi Evolution - I mentioned this car previously. A very formidable build with a ton of power. It was expected to run mid-low 1:40s with a pro driver at the wheel. However it caught fire on its first hot lap. The driver had the presence of mind to put the fire out and save the build, but the wiring harness suffered in the fire and the car never saw the track again.

(Did not run) -Mark Yager/Yimisport WRX STI - this car is super fast and usually runs in the low 1:40's. However, the car had some technical issue and never ran a single lap all weekend.

In the end, the top three finishers in Unlimited were RWD cars. I think that's pretty amazing.

Speaking of grid position——if I had waited to run my new tires on Session 1 of Day 2, I would have ended up very very frustrated. There was a WRX STI that did not run on Day 1, but was ready to run on Day 2. They put him in the grid right in front of me because he has a history of fairly quick lap times. While we were waiting in grid, I had gotten out of my car and was talking to Ryan Passey, who has an intense Miata build. While I was talking to him, a lady taps me on the shoulder. She says that her husband is the car in front of me and he just wanted to let me know that he has new brakes and won't be going fast on his first hot lap…….So, I go over to his car and say hi. He says he has a new engine and new brakes so he needs a couple laps. I asked him if I should go in front of him….hahahaha….he says no, he'll be fast. Ok…..Oh man…..I don't know what he was doing on his out lap, but he spewed so much dirt on the track. There were rooster tails of dirt coming from his car in several corners. And it continued after the warm up lap. I was so annoyed. And clearly, the track people didn't appreciate it either. They black flagged him and pulled him off the track. SO ridiculous. If I had had new tires on the car, I would have been screaming. This guy hadn't run a single lap at this event…..yet they stick him in front of me and then he craps up the whole track. Second session, there he is again, in front of me. I got news for ya. He was NOT running faster than me. I ended up catching him and was on his ass, but could not get around him. Then Amir Bentatou catches both of us and can't get around. I HATE impeding other people, but there was nowhere for me to go…… The STI's fastest lap was 1:49.6. I went and complained to the grid boss that the STI was causing chaos. The STI was gone for the last two sessions, but by then it was hot. Also, in Session 2, the Evasive Toyota 86 craaaawwwllllled on the outlap and stacked everyone up behind him…..So, if I had waited until Day 2 to run new tires and been caught up in this nonsense, I would have been quite frustrated. But again, that's time attack!

Once it was final that I had gotten 3rd, I had a silly "dilemma". I know that the people on the podium usually spray each other with champagne. But I also knew that I had to fly back to CO that same evening, and I only had one pair of street shoes and I didn't want to get on the airplane stinking like stale Champagne. (I also didn't want to go up in my race shoes and trash those.) So, my wife was laughing at me on the phone and told me to go up in my socks. So that's what I did. If you look at the pix (or video below), I'm standing there in my socks. I got sprayed pretty good. After the awards, I went back to my truck, poured water all over me, changed clothes and was happy that my shoes were still dry. My suitcase did stink pretty strongly of stale champagne though…..hahaha

I'll end my write up by telling you the most common question I was asked this weekend. I got this question more than any other while people were checking out my car: [With a confused face while looking around] "So————are you here doing this by yourself???" hehe Generally, at an event like this, all sorts of people like to come around and check out the cars. And the cars in contention seem to get a fairly steady flow of visitors. Right from the first session, I was in 3rd place. So, pretty much from the get-go, there were quite a few people coming around and checking the car out. My car is not your typical time attack machine, so people are wondering what the heck is going on with the BMW sedan. (Even the Livestream announcers were making fun of my car all weekend!) First, people come around and looky-loo around the car. There's a fair amount of head shaking, like what the heck did this guy do to a grocery-getter. But then, they go beyond the car, and start looking at my setup. And then it dawns on them……there doesn't appear to be a crew around the car. I'm just sitting in the trailer by myself hanging out on my phone. So, the most asked question I got this weekend was people wondering how I was pulling a weekend like this off without a crew because most other teams had a bunch of guys running around the cars. The answer is that the infrastructure of the BMW M3 is very reliable and that I've been running the car at 150+ HPDEs over the last 8 years. Many of these impressive builds have not been tested very much and need a big crew around them to keep things going. I'm used to being at the track by myself. But I'm not really by myself. Over the years, I have worked with three shops on a consistent basis, and they have done a GREAT job of keeping the car healthy. In the last month, I have visited all three shops that I normally work with—EAS, Minicorsa and Racewerkz Engineering, plus Chewerks for the suspension work. So, I may not have a crew with me at the track, but there have been a lot of eyes on the car prior to the event, and they have kept the car running. So, thanks to all those guys. To be honest, after all the running around I did on Day 1 in the AM, I really could use some trackside assistance. I was running things down to the last minute in some cases, which is never ideal. So, maybe in the future, I'll hire someone to help me.

The Livestream was really cool this year. Carla Pestotnik joined the announcer team and she added a nice vibe to the event. As a racer who's done time attack, she had good insights and provided some variety to the live call. I've put together a little montage of moments when my car was on-screen or my fast lap was flashed up in the results column. It's fun to see the car from outside while it's running on track. I don't get that vantage very often. This Livestream enabled my family back in CO to watch the event live for the first time. That was cool.

I really enjoy your write ups. As a fellow TT'er, a lot of what you talk about really resonates with me.

COTA is a bucket list track but only once in my opinion. Facilities are nice. Track should be better surface wise by the time you make it. But it's too tricked up and slow for my liking. I hope you one day get to experience the big boy tracks on the east Coast - WGI, VIR and Road Atlanta.

Edit not to say that west coast aren't big boy just listing the best ones we have on this side.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      11-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #1449
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I hope you one day get to experience the big boy tracks on the east Coast - WGI, VIR and Road Atlanta.
Yes!!!! I'm pushing for this!

The average speeds at the Glen are so wonderful... what a beautiful track
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:10 PM   #1450
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm still catching up on the thread, but it's so crazy to see you on a podium next to Dai. He is an absolute legend. I've been watching him drive professionally for the last 15 years. So crazy!!! Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:34 AM   #1451
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
I'm still catching up on the thread, but it's so crazy to see you on a podium next to Dai. He is an absolute legend. I've been watching him drive professionally for the last 15 years. So crazy!!! Congrats.
Thanks!

Yeah, he's definitely a great driver. Was fun to be up there. We got him pretty good with the champagne!

So, it was pretty funny. Dai said something that I don't think anyone really heard. The announcer/host, was joking at the awards ceremony that Karla, his co-announcer, was a real fan girl and seemed to be saying his name all weekend. And Dai said, "Hey, I'm available!" haha----Good times.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 04:46 AM   #1452
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

Thanks for sharing. Awesome job!
Appreciate 0