BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

07-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #353
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coniman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
I found I had to turn the AUX volume all the way down, and that made my audio nice and clear. Was expecting to need to turn the volume up, but it made the quality worse and worse.

So far I haven’t been able to get my phone to auto connect properly when I get in each time, but I reckon it’s something to do with iOS 13 beta. If I toggle this in the Bluetooth settings, CarPlay appears moments later every time.

Definitely some incompatibility with the box though, since wireless CarPlay connects fine with the X7 I’m driving atm.
I’m also using iOS 13 and auto connect works most of the time, not always. Also I’ve tried to lower down the volume and even at 10% sounds bad. So I took my headphones and connected them to the AUX cable that comes out from the box and stills sound bad, so definitely something is wrong with the CarPlay interface. I’ve managed to make audio sound great connecting the iPhone via USB and linking number “8” to that source, sacrificing “wireless” usage.
Can you take a photo of the version of the software that your CarPlay box is running? It's in the settings for the box. Screen looks like this, I'm curious if yours is running a different version from mine which may explain why your auto connect is working sometimes where as mine does not work at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 12:29 AM   #354
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

MJBO
I also found it interesting your ACP is showing up with a left hand side icons where most RHD cars should have it on the right hand side.

Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 12:32 AM   #355
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
MJBO
I also found it interesting your ACP is showing up with a left hand side icons where most RHD cars should have it on the right hand side.

Yes it may be a setting in the CarPlay box that I haven't changed, though since it's not a touchscreen I kind of like it on the left instead. I have an android head unit with CarPlay in my work car, and it has settings that let you change it to either side. It's a touchscreen so I have it on the right.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #356
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
MJBO

Yes it may be a setting in the CarPlay box that I haven't changed, though since it's not a touchscreen I kind of like it on the left instead. I have an android head unit with CarPlay in my work car, and it has settings that let you change it to either side. It's a touchscreen so I have it on the right.
Yea, it doesn't seem like a big deal for a non touchscreen. Just thought I make a note of it lol. Mine just shipped.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #357
dextersl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport Le-Mans Blue

Quote:
Interesting!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302...557d3c00QUoeEt

I had this in my cart.. and it shows $319. Wow.

I orderd it at $280 + 2.75% cashback from Ebates.
Hey, well that definitely beat my deal then!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #358
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextersl View Post
Quote:
Interesting!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302...557d3c00QUoeEt

I had this in my cart.. and it shows $319. Wow.

I orderd it at $280 + 2.75% cashback from Ebates.
Hey, well that definitely beat my deal then!
Thanks to your link! I wouldn't have ordered at the $319. I noticed it's now $319 even on the link you provided now.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #359
coniman
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 '12

Quote:
Can you take a photo of the version of the software that your CarPlay box is running? It's in the settings for the box. Screen looks like this, I'm curious if yours is running a different version from mine which may explain why your auto connect is working sometimes where as mine does not work at all.
This is the version my system has:

And how it looks like

It tries to connect to every paired iPhone in order until it finds one in range.

BTW, I'm still having bad audio quality via AUX . Maybe this software version has a bug. Does yours sound good in that version?

Also I've tried to do factory reset but asks me for a code, 0000 1234 and 8362 doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #360
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Hey coniman, yeah I don't have any real complaints about my audio quality.

My box looks the same as yours, but obviously running a slightly older firmware.

I've been in touch with Michael, maybe there is a newer version than yours that we can try upgrading to, will post when I hear back.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #361
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
For the record, I'm also running this version of the firmware and audio quality is fine (other than lacking some bass).
Attached Images

07-22-2019, 08:59 PM   #362
coniman
Private
Rep

@MJBO have you tried to unpair and pair again your iPhone? Have you paired more phones or only yours? Also in Bluetooth setting there is an option for auto-connect, just make sure it’s checked.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:14 PM   #363
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coniman View Post
@MJBO have you tried to unpair and pair again your iPhone? Have you paired more phones or only yours? Also in Bluetooth setting there is an option for auto-connect, just make sure it’s checked.
I've tried unpairing and pairing mine again, with no effect. Basically if I watch the settings panel I can see the CarPlay wifi network repeatedly connect and disconnect. As soon as I toggle the CarPlay switch in the Bluetooth menu, it connects.

Haven't had a chance to try my fiancé's X running regular iOS 12, I will as soon as I can.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #364
ludalex
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 118d

Started to install my JoeyAuto NBT Wireless box on my 2014 F20 today.

Two things:
1) If I plug the AUDIO_OUT to the provided AUDIO_IN aux cable (as per instructions), I can't hear anything. Is it normal?
If I plug AUDIO_OUT minijack to the glove box AUX in, it works. But this means extra routing and drilling which I wanted to avoid..

2) It takes a awful long time for iDrive interface to show up by long-pressing the back button after CarPlay has booted. Does this happen to you as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:46 PM   #365
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update: I tried moving the Kremersino mic around the car to see if it made any difference in voice sound quality and it made zero difference. I even tried plugging in a different mic into the mic input and it sounded the same. Basically people on the other end hear a tremendous amount of background noise and the mic picks up the slightest noise and interferes with voice quality. So, I'm assuming that there is a sensitivity setting in the firmware somewhere - I've contacted Michael at Kremersino to see if there's anything that can be done.
      07-24-2019, 10:31 PM   #366
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
Update: I tried moving the Kremersino mic around the car to see if it made any difference in voice sound quality and it made zero difference. I even tried plugging in a different mic into the mic input and it sounded the same. Basically people on the other end hear a tremendous amount of background noise and the mic picks up the slightest noise and interferes with voice quality. So, I'm assuming that there is a sensitivity setting in the firmware somewhere - I've contacted Michael at Kremersino to see if there's anything that can be done.
Thanks for the update. That's a bummer. My ACP is on the way and should be here on Friday.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      07-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #367
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the update. That's a bummer. My ACP is on the way and should be here on Friday.
An update from Michael:

"Thank you very much for your effort, and sharing.
Here we also get some feedback on this point from other customers too.
Now our engineer is working on an updating software which will solve this problem. We just need around one week.
Once the upgrade file is finished, and I will send it to you immediately, ok?"

Last edited by PACarGuy; 07-25-2019 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #368
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Yep Michael said none of the tweaks to the latest version I’ve seen here would affect my auto connection issue, and they don’t have an iOS 13 beta device for testing yet. He’ll send me an update when they have something new.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #369
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think the reality for these boxes is that we are effectively the beta testers and they are not finished products. I am glad they are making these things and pushing the envelope though...
      07-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #370
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
I think the reality for these boxes is that we are effectively the beta testers and they are not finished products. I am glad they are making these things and pushing the envelope though...
Sadly, this is happening across the tech industry. Just push the product out and deal with the bugs as they come..

Of course things are getting more and more complicated.

My device comes tomorrow. I'm hopeful I have time sunday to get it installed. I'll most likely still install it similar to you using the passenger side mic area.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      07-25-2019, 09:07 PM   #371
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sadly, this is happening across the tech industry. Just push the product out and deal with the bugs as they come..

Of course things are getting more and more complicated.

My device comes tomorrow. I'm hopeful I have time sunday to get it installed. I'll most likely still install it similar to you using the passenger side mic area.
Yup. But you're right - things are definitely complicated and evolving very quickly, especially when it comes to infotainment systems and mobile devices, so you can't totally fault these companies for not getting everything right. I guess fixes may be just a firmware update away. We'll see.

Good luck with the install. I did end up putting the mic back in the passenger side opening in the overhead console.
      07-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #372
Beven32
Rep
Drives: bmw f10

I brought one, Loved it! But I will have to return it due to extremely poor audio quality!!

I do hope it is as simple as a firmware update. I have also been in contact with the seller and they said the same thing. Our engineers are working on it. And we will send you a firmware file to fix it soon.

I have told them if they do not fix it soon I will be sending it back. And I honestly don't want too !!!

I love Android auto. It works great, And wireless apple carplay works perfect too.

Please keep us updated if anyone has progress with this
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #373
coniman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beven32 View Post
I brought one, Loved it! But I will have to return it due to extremely poor audio quality!!

I do hope it is as simple as a firmware update. I have also been in contact with the seller and they said the same thing. Our engineers are working on it. And we will send you a firmware file to fix it soon.

I have told them if they do not fix it soon I will be sending it back. And I honestly don't want too !!!

I love Android auto. It works great, And wireless apple carplay works perfect too.

Please keep us updated if anyone has progress with this
I’m having same issues. He promised me an update. And honestly I don’t want to return it too!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #374
AcidSun
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

For the time being I am running all my audio over over Bluetooth while using the car play interface. The only downside to this is all the navigation apps force audio over aux but music is fine.
Appreciate 0