BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

06-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #243
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Are you planning to run an OEM style rear view camera or run one off the ACP module?

I installed an RVC module into my brother's E90 diesel and had some trouble with the quadlock plug n play emualtors. I had to buy a quad lock, solder the emulator on.
An OEM style camera with the quad lock emulator, but I would also buy the quadlock cable so as not to have to splice/cut the factory quadlock. Since I have PDC, I'd want the camera to work OEM style.
      06-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #244
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
An OEM style camera with the quad lock emulator, but I would also buy the quadlock cable so as not to have to splice/cut the factory quadlock. Since I have PDC, I'd want the camera to work OEM style.
I actually have one for sale if you're interested:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1622465

PM me and we can talk.

Also when you get a chance, can you tell me how the ACP unit renders the reverse camera view? Is it the 2/3 split (where the remaining 1/3 is just blank)
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy646.00
      06-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #245
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:

All the quadlock pnp harnesses I've seen do not have the correct emulator installed on them. I would definitely suggest buying your own extension, and wiring in the camera emulator.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #246
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuyuyuyu View Post
I actually have one for sale if you're interested:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1622465

PM me and we can talk.

Also when you get a chance, can you tell me how the ACP unit renders the reverse camera view? Is it the 2/3 split (where the remaining 1/3 is just blank)
Thanks for the offer. I had already pulled the trigger on one from ebay when I saw your note. Oops...

I don't think the ACP unit will be rendering the reverse view since I assume it will be rendered in iDrive using the original camera view? But I assume it's 2/3 split.

Quote:
All the quadlock pnp harnesses I've seen do not have the correct emulator installed on them. I would definitely suggest buying your own extension, and wiring in the camera emulator.
Yes, sorry. I mis-typed that. I meant to say I would get the emulator and splice it into a quad lock extension per this thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005301
      06-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #247
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the offer. I had already pulled the trigger on one from ebay when I saw your note. Oops...

I don't think the ACP unit will be rendering the reverse view since I assume it will be rendered in iDrive using the original camera view? But I assume it's 2/3 split.

Yes, sorry. I mis-typed that. I meant to say I would get the emulator and splice it into a quad lock extension per this thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005301

Yea, I posted a few things in there during my adventures with the PnP harness. Hope yours goes way smoother!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #248
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea, I posted a few things in there during my adventures with the PnP harness. Hope yours goes way smoother!
Tx. Did you get yours working? I didn't see your posts in that thread (yet).
      06-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #249
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Tx. Did you get yours working? I didn't see your posts in that thread (yet).

I got it working on my brother's E90 Diesel. The link of ebay parts I posted earlier is what I used. I have not purchased one for my M3 yet.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy646.00
      06-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #250
ludalex
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 118d

About to place order for a Joeyauto NBT for my F20:

- Should I order from Aliexpress (https://aliexpress.com/item/33004331...AbTest=ae803_4) or from their official website?
On their website it costs like 25$ more but it says they ship in 7-10 days while it's 1 month for standard shipping with Ali.

- Do we have confirmation that Joyeauto NBT wireless supports Android Auto too?

- Do we have an installation video for this unit?
EDIT: found it (
) but it doesn't show how to route the microphone!

Last edited by ludalex; 06-23-2019 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #251
timstar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludalex View Post

- Should I order from Aliexpress (https://aliexpress.com/item/33004331...AbTest=ae803_4) or from their official website?
On their website it costs like 25$ more but it says they ship in 7-10 days while it's 1 month for standard shipping with Ali.

EDIT: found it (
) but it doesn't show how to route the microphone!

I can confirm it does not support Android Auto, it supports Android mirroring through an apk called AutoLink, I don't know if you can control the android device with the idrive controller though using AutoLink.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #252
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

routing through a pillar should be straight forward.

As far as who to order from, you can have a 3rd party Aliexpress to deal with if something goes wrong. They might be like Ebay/Paypal and force a refund if something happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #253
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Does anybody have the Joyeauto unit and have steering wheel controls working? It seems that based on the few people in this thread who have a wireless carplay unit, the Joyeauto steering wheel controls do not work, but the Kremersino unit does.

Unichip is supposed to release theirs next week as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:06 PM   #254
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Got my kremersino unit installed today. Pretty straightforward install and all works as it should. iPhone X connects to carplay wirelessly or via USB cable, and all the functions work. Had to get a bit creative routing the aux cable and USB port into the armrest as I have the old mobile phone cradle thingy and couldn't figure out how to remove it, but I ended up drilling a small slot out. Haven't spent a lot of time playing with it yet, but it does switch back and forth from iDrive to CP pretty seamlessly, though you have to remember to make sure audio is set to AUX before going back to Carplay otherwise no sound. When in Carplay mode, the voice command button on the steering wheel activates Siri and the phone button redials last number dialed. And, as others have mentioned, you can advance the tracks using the up and down buttons on the steering wheel. I did notice that if you're back in iDrive TEL mode, the phone still functions in bluetooth mode as it normally would, so you're basically able to use your phone in either mode. Also as someone mentioned, you have to rotate the idrive wheel to scroll through CarPlay icons and selections - you can't bump the idrive left and right or up and down. A bit annoying, but not too bad. You get used to it.

For routing the additional mic, I used this video to help:

Ended up being fairly easy to pop out the overhead lighting console and stuff the mic into the open hole opposite the factory BT mic.
      06-23-2019, 09:46 PM   #255
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Got my kremersino unit installed today. Pretty straightforward install and all works as it should. iPhone X connects to carplay wirelessly or via USB cable, and all the functions work. Had to get a bit creative routing the aux cable and USB port into the armrest as I have the old mobile phone cradle thingy and couldn't figure out how to remove it, but I ended up drilling a small slot out. Haven't spent a lot of time playing with it yet, but it does switch back and forth from iDrive to CP pretty seamlessly, though you have to remember to make sure audio is set to AUX before going back to Carplay otherwise no sound. When in Carplay mode, the voice command button on the steering wheel activates Siri and the phone button redials last number dialed. And, as others have mentioned, you can advance the tracks using the up and down buttons on the steering wheel. I did notice that if you're back in iDrive TEL mode, the phone still functions in bluetooth mode as it normally would, so you're basically able to use your phone in either mode. Also as someone mentioned, you have to rotate the idrive wheel to scroll through CarPlay icons and selections - you can't bump the idrive left and right or up and down. A bit annoying, but not too bad. You get used to it.

For routing the additional mic, I used this video to help:

Ended up being fairly easy to pop out the overhead lighting console and stuff the mic into the open hole opposite the factory BT mic.
Thanks for the update!!

Where did you hide that module?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #256
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

JoyeAuto released a E90CIC wireless ACP video

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #257
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the update!!

Where did you hide that module?
For now I just tucked it in flat under the glovebox area and installed the trim panel over it to see how well the Wifi still works. Seemed to work fine this morning on my commute, but I'll see over the next week or so and move it if needed. It's a bit of a squeeze and the panel is a tiny bit bowed out, but it's not noticeable unless you're looking for it.

One cool aspect (that I was worried about) is that I have my wife's cell phone number stored in my first radio button, and pressing the radio button still works to make that call just as before through Carplay. Phone call quality via the new mic seems to be good. I left a couple of test voicemails to check it out and it sounds more or less just like the BMW mic.

In comparing audio quality, it's hard to tell if it's better or worse. I feel like some of the bass is not quite there over AUX, but in comparing SiriusXM over satellite vs. streaming, the sound is definitely clearer and less muddled via streaming, though again, the bass might be a little lacking?

Love having Waze on the big screen. If I want, I can also listen to another audio source (like SiriusXM over satellite) and still keep Waze up with no audio, so that's a plus.

Reversing via original PDC screen is a bit slower than before as the unit has to switch back to iDrive, but it does work.
      06-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #258
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
JoyeAuto released a E90CIC wireless ACP video

Thanks - they clearly show the steering wheel control next/previous being used in that video.. Good to know.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #259
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludalex View Post

EDIT: found it but it doesn't show how to route the microphone!
I ordered a different unit (Kremersino) via Aliexpress standard shipping, but got it within a week.
      06-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #260
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I ordered a different unit (Kremersino) via Aliexpress standard shipping, but got it within a week.

@ludalex appears to be driving an F21 which is not available in North America. I'm sure that will affect shipping dates.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy646.00
      06-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #261
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
ordered the same unit after reading your review, thanks

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy646.00
      06-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #262
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M BROK3 View Post
ordered the same unit after reading your review, thanks
Nice! For the price ($300) it seemed like a fairly good deal even if only as an experiment, and I couldn't note any functional difference between this and the Joyeauto or Unichip boxes. Install was pretty straightforward too. I was done in <90 minutes, a good portion of which was taken up with trying to figure out how to route the AUX and USB cables into the armrest.

Last edited by PACarGuy; 06-25-2019 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #263
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Nice! For the price ($300) it seemed like a fairly good deal even if only as an experiment, and I couldn't note any functional difference between this and the iJoyeauto or Unichip boxes. Install was pretty straightforward too. I was done in <90 minutes, a good portion of which was taken up with trying to figure out how to route the AUX and USB cables into the armrest.
For only $300 this seems like the way to go, I don't see any reason to spend more for the JoyeAuto or Unichip version.

Do you plan on relocating the box at some point or are you happy with where you have it currently? Were the cables stretched like others have mentioned? Any chance you have a pic of where/how you have it mounted and the armrest cable routing?
      06-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #264
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
For only $300 this seems like the way to go, I don't see any reason to spend more for the JoyeAuto or Unichip version.

Do you plan on relocating the box at some point or are you happy with where you have it currently? Were the cables stretched like others have mentioned? Any chance you have a pic of where/how you have it mounted and the armrest cable routing?
The location of the box seems to be OK for the moment but I'll reevaluate it at some point if and when I do the camera install.

The LVDS cable isn't a stretch since it's behind the CIC head unit, though you have to make sure to tuck it back behind the head unit so the head unit seats all the way (which leads me to be concerned about using the quad lock extension cable for the camera emulator). The USB cable was the only one that was a bit of a stretch since I wanted that inside the armrest. If you're routing it through the glovebox or somewhere else, it would be less of an issue. The rest of the components of the main power/iDrive cable aren't an issue - there's plenty of slack on the iDrive portion.

I can snap a pic or two tonight.