BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

03-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #177
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quick question to anyone that's been running this tune and has the overrun feature, how do you like it? And is it obnoxious? Also is it tuned to work with 0% throttle input or are you having to slightly (~2-5%) apply throttle?

Thanks!
      03-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #178
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Fresh View Post
Quick question to anyone that's been running this tune and has the overrun feature, how do you like it? And is it obnoxious? Also is it tuned to work with 0% throttle input or are you having to slightly (~2-5%) apply throttle?

Thanks!
I’ve heard the overrun, not on an alpine tune. I think it’s ok, I was driving behind a guy with it and the only time I’d hear is when he’d apply throttle aggressively then cruise but when he’s normally driving, sounded normal
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #179
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
I’ve heard the overrun, not on an alpine tune. I think it’s ok, I was driving behind a guy with it and the only time I’d hear is when he’d apply throttle aggressively then cruise but when he’s normally driving, sounded normal
Thanks for the input. Yeah you do have to bring the revs up (3500+) and let the engine rev down and while this is happening its burning the slight amount of fuel in the exhaust.

What I am after is, to keep it going, if there has to be some slight throttle modulation while engine braking. Slight, meaning under 5% (even less) throttle input and keeping the pops and banks going for 2-10seconds or however long.

Really what I am trying to find out is if the tune requires this AND if its slipping the clutches on DCT cars since youre still giving throttle but not really moving, aka any harm to the car?

I am running this on my Evolve tune and it works just fine but I have to do the above to have it overrun for as long as I want. I've talked to some other M3 drivers with similar tunes from other companies that don't need to apply any throttle modulation and this happens all the time when not on throttle and youre coming down from aggressive RPM's in gear.
      03-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #180
qbnlykwhoa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

I just loaded Alex's tune this past weekend but I'm 6mt. I still have the secondary cats on the car but it still burbles pretty nicely and i don't think it sounds obnoxious. (Resonated Test Pipes > Stock X-Pipe > 2-Pipe OEM Mod)

I do have to give it a slight throttle modulation to get the pops going. Usually happens above 3.5k and if you hold it at just the right place it will pop for a few seconds. I do get some random pops here and there and sometimes between shifts. If you drive normally you really can't even tell the car has a burble tune other than gas consumption. I haven't really pushed the car too much since I just got my bearings done and am taking things easy for a few more hundred miles.

The engine certainly feels a lot smoother and I can def notice a difference in power down low. Plus Alex was awesome to deal with and his pricing is the best around. I did get new motor mounts, rod bearings, new thermostat, Alex's Tune with 241e, and Resonated test pipes all at the same time so I'm sure all of it is contributing to how good the car is feeling right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 12:48 PM   #181
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbnlykwhoa View Post
I just loaded Alex's tune this past weekend but I'm 6mt. I still have the secondary cats on the car but it still burbles pretty nicely and i don't think it sounds obnoxious. (Resonated Test Pipes > Stock X-Pipe > 2-Pipe OEM Mod)

I do have to give it a slight throttle modulation to get the pops going. Usually happens above 3.5k and if you hold it at just the right place it will pop for a few seconds. I do get some random pops here and there and sometimes between shifts. If you drive normally you really can't even tell the car has a burble tune other than gas consumption. I haven't really pushed the car too much since I just got my bearings done and am taking things easy for a few more hundred miles.

The engine certainly feels a lot smoother and I can def notice a difference in power down low. Plus Alex was awesome to deal with and his pricing is the best around. I did get new motor mounts, rod bearings, new thermostat, Alex's Tune with 241e, and Resonated test pipes all at the same time so I'm sure all of it is contributing to how good the car is feeling right now.
Interesting -- I don't know how the 6MT would behave under normal driving; more specifically, When lets say you take off and shift normal 1-2-3 and once you are off the clutch in 3rd but before you apply throttle, do you get into that "dead zone" for throttle pedal feel that would normally initiate the overrun and burble then all of a sudden the car jerks and pulls normal.

It pretty much feels like you have no throttle response while you've already depressed 5-10% of the Gas pedal and get 5-10% throttle all at once instead of progressively rolling into it like normal.
      03-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #182
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbnlykwhoa View Post

Interesting -- I don't know how the 6MT would behave under normal driving; more specifically, When lets say you take off and shift normal 1-2-3 and once you are off the clutch in 3rd but before you apply throttle, do you get into that "dead zone" for throttle pedal feel that would normally initiate the overrun and burble then all of a sudden the car jerks and pulls normal.

It pretty much feels like you have no throttle response while you've already depressed 5-10% of the Gas pedal and get 5-10% throttle all at once instead of progressively rolling into it like normal.
Meant to post, depending on exhaust systems you will have different outcomes.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 11:01 AM   #183
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
Hey Alex! I didn't mean to derail this thread, was curious if you have the overrun feature fully vented out. Are you by chance able to speak to how the over-run works and is initiated and what it does to throttle input?

I feel that my Evolve tune has a dead spot in the throttle, likely from the amount of ignition retardation for the extra fuel to burn off while off throttle and slowly rolling back into throttle -- speculation on my end. But under normal driving conditions it can effect drivability in a bad way.
      03-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #184
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Alex! I didn't mean to derail this thread, was curious if you have the overrun feature fully vented out. Are you by chance able to speak to how the over-run works and is initiated and what it does to throttle input?

I feel that my Evolve tune has a dead spot in the throttle, likely from the amount of ignition retardation for the extra fuel to burn off while off throttle and slowly rolling back into throttle -- speculation on my end. But under normal driving conditions it can effect drivability in a bad way.
I generally have a practice of not comparing to other companies.

The basic idea is to mist unburnt fuel into the exhaust.

Problems with drivability can factor from multiple things including your exhaust setup, injectors, spark plugs and etc. Most of my customers with great success have been straight piped. Keep in mind the E9X is a low pressure (non injected) fuel system compared to the F8X that are direct injection high pressure fuel system. On a low pressure fuel system the injectors spray fuel onto intake valves so therefore if the spray times get adjusted to aggressively, it can backfire into the intake plenum and damage it since it's made out of plastic. On direct high pressure fuel injection systems, it can be adjusted more to mist and won't cause any damage. I always side with caution vs squeezing out the last bit of power or in this case sound effects. If you ask any customer here I always cover the basics with everyone; like hey did you get your bearings checked.

IMO burbles for this platform should not be for a daily driver, just for a quick weekend show off.
Appreciate 3
BOOF-M34448.50
94jedi829.00
      03-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #185
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Problems with drivability can factor from multiple things including your exhaust setup, injectors, spark plugs and etc. Most of my customers with great success have been straight piped. Keep in mind the E9X is a low pressure (non injected) fuel system compared to the F8X that are direct injection high pressure fuel system. On a low pressure fuel system the injectors spray fuel onto intake valves so therefore if the spray times get adjusted to aggressively, it can backfire into the intake plenum and damage it since it's made out of plastic. On direct high pressure fuel injection systems, it can be adjusted more to mist and won't cause any damage. I always side with caution vs squeezing out the last bit of power or in this case sound effects. If you ask any customer here I always cover the basics with everyone; like hey did you get your bearings checked.

IMO burbles for this platform should not be for a daily driver, just for a quick weekend show off.
To piggyback on this, Alex did give me all the good, bad and the ugly on the burble tune. Of course the kid in me wanted to try it out anyway. It was fun for about ten minutes and I went back to my stage 2 tune. I think I might have enjoyed it more seeing another car do it as being the driver there is nothing to see. Hearing it was cool but my car already sounds awesome so...
Appreciate 3
      03-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #186
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

I'll confirm that Alex always covers the basics. First thing Alex asked me was how my RB's were. Are there tunes out there making more power? Maybe, but personally, I'm good w/ the tune as is rather than going to the ragged edge.
      03-30-2018, 02:17 AM   #187
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:

Thanks!
Personally i am not a huge fan. The burbles sound artificial and don't quite fit the car in my opinion.

Lastly, wanted to mention, went thru my first full tank of gas on this time and picked up an easy 1.5-2mpg with zero change to my normal driving habits! Love it!
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 3
BOOF-M34448.50
330ciprem228.50
      03-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #188
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 LeMans Blue

I got my cable from Alex this week. I'll report back once my tune is done. I'm excited, as I've never done an engine tune before and the DCT GTS flash with Euro MDM that he did previously was transformative. Just waiting on him to tell me what to do next.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      03-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #189
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4130 View Post
I got my cable from Alex this week. I'll report back once my tune is done. I'm excited, as I've never done an engine tune before and the DCT GTS flash with Euro MDM that he did previously was transformative. Just waiting on him to tell me what to do next.
Just text message me 310-560-0808 we will get it going.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #190
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Personally i am not a huge fan. The burbles sound artificial and don't quite fit the car in my opinion.

Lastly, wanted to mention, went thru my first full tank of gas on this time and picked up an easy 1.5-2mpg with zero change to my normal driving habits! Love it!
I go in swings, under the lowest RPM's and it does it once or twice I love it, but when its aggressive and its like someone empting out a 30 round magazine its annoying.

Good to hear on the increase in MPG! Means more down low tq!

Quote:

Thanks for the follow-up. I am aware, I've had you do some coding on a few of my vehicles and you are up front from the start! Like I said I am was looking for a general idea from those with the over-run feature. Definitely isn't for everyone.

Last edited by ///M3Fresh; 03-30-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #191
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post

I go in swings, under the lowest RPM's and it does it once or twice I love it, but when its aggressive and its like someone empting out a 30 round magazine its annoying.

Good to hear on the increase in MPG! Means more down low tq!

Quote:

Thanks for the follow-up. I am aware, I've had you do some coding on a few of my vehicles and you are up front from the start! Like I said I am was looking for a general idea from those with the over-run feature. Definitely isn't for everyone.
Sounds good, good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:18 PM   #192
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 LeMans Blue

I've got my Alpine MSS tune going today. Not much seat time thanks to rain and traffic, but initial impressions are good. The engine seems to idle with a touch more grunt and yet it's smoother across the rev range as far as I got up to today (only around 5k, thanks to 495 traffic). I feel like it wants to rev easier. Throttle response in Power Sport mode is less jerky. I almost thought I was in Normal mode it's so smooth. Torque felt a little stronger between 3-4k rpm. I need to drive it more to get a better feel it but I think it did everything I hoped for. Put me down as a happy customer. I'm sure I'll enjoy it more as I get to stretch the tach out in open road and dry conditions.
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34448.50
      04-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #193
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4130 View Post
I've got my Alpine MSS tune going today. Not much seat time thanks to rain and traffic, but initial impressions are good. The engine seems to idle with a touch more grunt and yet it's smoother across the rev range as far as I got up to today (only around 5k, thanks to 495 traffic). I feel like it wants to rev easier. Throttle response in Power Sport mode is less jerky. I almost thought I was in Normal mode it's so smooth. Torque felt a little stronger between 3-4k rpm. I need to drive it more to get a better feel it but I think it did everything I hoped for. Put me down as a happy customer. I'm sure I'll enjoy it more as I get to stretch the tach out in open road and dry conditions.
Thank you
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34448.50
94jedi829.00
      04-07-2018, 01:37 AM   #194
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

So, I’ve had the Alpine tune on my car for about 2 weeks. Got the cable quickly after ordering (despite the attempts of USPS), and the tuning software and maps shortly after.

Ran into some initial problems after installing the tune, got an error and the car went into limp home mode. This may have been an issue with the map and the car, or maybe I didn’t install it quite right. Regardless, I texted Alex after this happened, and he replied back immediately and gave me a call. Did another test, and he sent out a fresh map for me to test. This map worked fine, and I ran it for about a week. Alex mentioned this map had the top end reduced a bit to make sure it’s not something on the car being affected by the changes. He sent me a new map with the typical parameters after a little while. He was a little slow to respond on this map, but it was a holiday weekend during spring break, so it’s reasonable for him to take a break. He got me a new map after the weekend, and everything has worked well ever since. I’m not sure if there was a big difference in the maps, so the initial problems may just have been an install issue.

Onto the tune options. It’s just a stage 1 tune with a few options, right now. I’m planning on getting test pipes soon, and will get a new map for it. Haven’t tried the launch control (or VMAX), as I’d feel like a dick revving up at a stop light in town (queue Grand Tour skit). Servotronic is something I’m on the fence about. When basically stopped, it’s similar to the normal/sport setting of stock, but quickly removes power assist once you’re moving. It gets quite heavy with a 275 up front, so be aware of it when doing tight maneuvers around town. If you’re used to the stock steering, it can be a shocking change of effort. However, it is perfect once you’re moving. Makes it easy to keep the car tracking well on the freeway (that 275 wants to follow any rut it finds, probably should get an alignment done at some point), and on the back roads, the response is perfect. It’s very linear and predictable, and the weight is perfect. So, I think this is a worthwhile option, and if you don’t like it, you can just change the car settings. I asked for the increase rev limit, he set it at 8500. I’m not sure if he’ll set it to 8600 like other tunes, I’ll ask him to set it to that once I have test pipes. He also seems to lower the cold rev limit, even though it is not mentioned.

Driving on the tune, there is a lot more low-end pick-up. It feels peppy around town, though people will still move away from the light harder unless you actually try. When you rev it out, it pulls noticeably harder when driven back to back with the stock settings. It may not be significantly faster, but is noticeable. Just don’t expect to be shoved harder into your seat like you would when tuning an N54. The drivability is improved in the normal power mode, and the car responds better (none of that weird delay when letting off the throttle that sometimes happens stock). I haven't tried other power settings, as I haven't felt the need. I had an issue on the first map with the cold start behaving really roughly, the issue went away on the new map.

Do I get better fuel economy? When the road opens up, I’ve been driving like an ass to try out the tune, so it’s a little difficult to judge. For now, I’m not seeing a change. As I settle down with the car, it may start going up. I do use a little less throttle in town, at least.

So, is the tune worth it? No tune on the S65 is going to have the value of a turbo car, which can pick up 30-60 whp for less than $300 (gotta love the value of MHD). But, from the perspective of the S65, Alex offers a very good tune for the best price on the market by a good margin. And from what I have seen, you lose nothing in quality while picking up an excellent service. Plus, when you decide to add test pipes, just get back in touch with him and he’ll set you up with a new map, no additional charge. The way I see a tune on this platform is that it acts as additional support for mods you may do. Launch control and better throttle behavior to help manage additional power, servo to help manage wider tires, hiding emissions errors with test pipes. Plus, the optimizations will pick you up at least a few whp. So if you plan on remaining stock except for the tune, I’d think about how much you want these changes and if it’s worth the money to you. But if you’re already planning a few bolt-ons, make sure you throw Alex’s tune onto the list.
Appreciate 4
      04-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #195
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

Ordered mine yesterday, curious to see how much will improve a track day car
      04-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #196
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

Quick question. I'm thinking about supercharging my car and have the Alpine tune on it now. Do I need a different tune or can you do a tune for a supercharged car? Not clear on how this works.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #197
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

ricardofors68 keep us updated how it goes. I know DreamTime is asking the same question.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #198
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneedlessnoise View Post
Quick question. I'm thinking about supercharging my car and have the Alpine tune on it now. Do I need a different tune or can you do a tune for a supercharged car? Not clear on how this works.
You would need a different tune. Maybe you could get yours optimized for sc by Alex.