BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #67
Alpha///M
Scrappy Coco
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 AW DCT ZCP ESS 625

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Exhaust threads are nearly impossible to gain any conclusive, definitive answer. So many variables, combinations of pipes/exhausts, recording conditions/equipment, the list goes on. Best bet is to hear in person...
      03-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #68
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krockit1 View Post
Yep, axle back only. The sound is so right for me that I feel no need to change. And again, last thing I want to do is drown the intakes out. Hey it's loud enough that cars in front of me are lookin back when I downshift and the rev match hits - don't need any more attention than the car's sound already musters
Agreed^^^ I think if we ever wanted it louder a resonator delete would be more than enough. I don't want the problem with messing with the cats...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #69
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Out of the 100's of reviews iv read about the Akra, very,very few have ever complained about drone, especially being its one of the best exhaust for or cars on the plant, so i say suck it up pu**y and run that Real exhaust.
      03-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #70
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
Out of the 100's of reviews iv read about the Akra, very,very few have ever complained about drone, especially being its one of the best exhaust for or cars on the plant, so i say suck it up pu**y and run that Real exhaust.
"Best exhaust on the planet" ? Nah..
Don't get me wrong, I think the Akra is a great exhaust. However, is it so much better than the rest that it deserves that ridiculous elevated price tag? Hell no..I have heard it in person..I have helped install it....no way worth the price. IMOP.

I have realized that in all industries/products, if you pay too little you get crap, pay too much and you have just been "sold something" based on herd mentality and emotion. If you look real close there is always a product that is priced in the middle that is just as good. This is the true value...

Last edited by M3-S65; 03-09-2014 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #71
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Thought I would bump this thread.

I ended up trying the Corsa with my test pipes. The good news is that it is very smooth down low with none of the bass of the Akra. In fact, the Corsa w/ test pipes is less bassy/droney at 2k RPM than the stock exhaust with test pipes (which is what I have on there at the moment). That's no joke.

The downside for me is that the exhaust is a bit loud outside the car on throttle. It sounds great, don't get me wrong, but it will attract more attention than I'd like. But I can confirm that it is very, very mellow down low compared to the Akra Evo and Akra w/ test pipes.

The idea exhaust would have the low-RPM characters of the Corsa, with the mild manners of the Akra at higher RPMs. I am starting to suspect that no such thing exists.

My only beef with the OEM exhaust with test pipes are the aesthetics and the rasp. I'd love to find an exhaust that is basically stock like, but that looks a little better and doesn't have as much rasp.

I am looking at the Bastruck (old version) which a member has for sale. Painted black, I like the look, as the double-wall tips fill the valences nicely. I also like it's flange approach to installation. The only problem is this is one of the least documented exhausts on the market. Virtually no one has any experience with this exhaust. Would be a bit of a leap of faith.
It's very mild up top, and that's why I got rid of it. Down low, it was deeper but not loud at all- not rattle the garage door deeper like the Akra at idle/start-up; the start-up cycle delete helps that a lot, but it's still there. At 2,000 RPM, Bastuck is maybe a hair louder than stock if you're trying to listen for a difference. It's a really mellow exhaust overall, and probably why it didn't sell well- too quiet for most but definitely noticable. I only had it with stock X-pipe- back then, I didn't think I'd ever get an X-pipe... but you know, the forums brain washes you.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #72
Brians
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Frz Drk Grey

Chiming in. I started with Dinan cat back, which sounded great, but added a Gintani X pipe with HFC's, and it was just too loud and really boomy at 2k rpm. So, I went Gintani/OEM cat back. The sound is just about perfect. Not loud when light throttle, and pretty aggressive WOT. There is a bit of a rasp at shifts when you are really on it. I hated the look of the silver exhaust can and the chrome tips, so I painted the can black and went with black tips. It's a whole new car. Pretty happy with the setup.
Appreciate 0