BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Liquimoly 5w40

I tried searching for the original informative thread which started when BMW put out the notice on the types of oils we could use. Can someone post a link to it?
(ok I didn't try very hard I'm at work).

I'm up for an oil change and was thinking Liquimoly - it meets all requirements and also requires the LL1/2 spec. A shop and a cousin who are real knowledgeable on this sort of stuff recommend that brand. I will be doing 5k intervals regardless of track days or not and will be doing blackstone analysis on my next drain of the castrol 10w60.

I remember reading that mobil1 0w40 doesn't do the job when running at extreme or lengthy high stress situations so am looking for other alternatives.....its also time to get an extended warrant for that "just in case shit".

By now, I'm sure a lot of you have changed to different oils....what do you guys run and why? And is your car primarily a commuter, track weekend warrior, occasional track, canyon carver, etc.... you get my point.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

I run 10 60 as I have in all m M3 w/ no problems. In a colder climate maybe something different, but nop offense to others, People can preach all day long @ different oils from 0w40 to 10w40 to 20w50 but there's no long term evidence that it has helped anything. In theory it seems better to some, but no one has been running it as long as the TWS 10 60.

It's all speculation at this point, irregardless of what others say

Lubri Moly is another great choice, but I would also run their 10 60

my car is also a DD
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

yeah I hear you...I do run the car extra slow when I first fire her up and it takes quite a bit for the oil to get up to temp and show a reading....thinking that a lighter oil will speed up this process a bit. I have used the oem oil with no problems so far (or so I hope), engine makes no strange noises (besides my damn clutch chatter when in neutral) and have yet to run a blackstone....oil has been changed every 4 times already and I only have 15k miles on an 11.5 (sorry about the .5 I know its annoying to some lol).

Thanks for your input. Hoping to hear from some heavy track stars.
Appreciate 0