BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

07-14-2024, 08:59 AM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Carplay comparisons

I've been researching for sometime now the different systems and although each sounds good, I've also read experiences people have had but its proving difficult to come to a final conclusion on which to go with. I first am going to upgrade my 08 E92 M3 from CCC to CIC. I've not installed it yet with the CIC center panel and iDrive knob. Got it off eBay from a vender that supposedly coded it with my VIN so hope it functions right. The display head unit I must say is trashed, probably works but whom ever he got it from it's all scratched up and the screen seems like some chemicals were used on it that blemished the screen finish so I'd like to change that with one of the Carplay head units that are new.

So with that, I'd like to know what everyone's experiences have been with the tech support of each Carplay manufacture, longevity use and any problems that I want to stay away from. I really don't want to be dealing with problems, so once installed, I can be happy with the set up. Cost not a major issue.

The units,
Mr12Volt (Would require a new CIC display unit)
https://www.mr12volt.com/collections...em-mic-support

Bimmertech MMIPrime (I've read their tech support sucks)
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...y-mmi-retrofit

Bimmer Plug 8.8"
https://bimmerplug.com/products/8-8-...-bmw-e-chassis

Andream (tech support in China, not sure if that's a problem getting responses)
https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...34605455835299

Last edited by BimmerRob08; 07-14-2024 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
P_Chris168.50
      07-14-2024, 10:37 AM   #2
GOFAST M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 Silverstone II

I am in the same boat, and have decided on Mr 12 Volt. Only real negative I can find, I already have CIC, is the echoing handsfree calls.

This unit seems to have the best sound quality, and as handfree calling is not a priority for me, thats the unit I believe I will go with.

Price is great too.
      07-14-2024, 11:05 AM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOFAST M3 View Post
I am in the same boat, and have decided on Mr 12 Volt. Only real negative I can find, I already have CIC, is the echoing handsfree calls.

This unit seems to have the best sound quality, and as handfree calling is not a priority for me, thats the unit I believe I will go with.

Price is great too.
I'm on the fence too about the Mr12Volt. I know it'll need my CIC system to be coded for the CD changer, which I did not get that option as original owner. I'm hoping that all the M3's came already wired for it or is that even a concern? I can't remember if the 08 E92 M3 had that option, I'm think so but not sure if the cable is already factory installed ready on all the chassis. I know Mr12Volt will be accessed through the (CD) button and the system has to recognize a CD changer.

I'd have to get a new cleaner looking CIC idrive display unit though. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

RB
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2024, 10:13 AM   #4
KanseiDorifto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 JB/FR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
I can't remember if the 08 E92 M3 had that option, I'm think so but not sure if the cable is already factory installed ready on all the chassis.

RB
Not a concern - no US E9x M3s had a CD changer as factory standard or option to my knowledge. The "workaround" is to code in the CD changer functionality before install.

As for my experience, I installed Mr12Volt recently but it was easier since mine is a 2011 CIC. Very happy with it so far, sound quality is top notch since it runs audio through the car's fiberoptics instead of just plugging into the aux port like a lot of the other cheaper alternatives do. Also really like how seamless it is to switch between the OEM iDrive and carplay. It automatically goes to dark mode when the headlights are on and it switches itself when i.e. reversing with the proximity sensors.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2024, 04:40 PM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanseiDorifto View Post
Not a concern - no US E9x M3s had a CD changer as factory standard or option to my knowledge. The "workaround" is to code in the CD changer functionality before install.

As for my experience, I installed Mr12Volt recently but it was easier since mine is a 2011 CIC. Very happy with it so far, sound quality is top notch since it runs audio through the car's fiberoptics instead of just plugging into the aux port like a lot of the other cheaper alternatives do. Also really like how seamless it is to switch between the OEM iDrive and carplay. It automatically goes to dark mode when the headlights are on and it switches itself when i.e. reversing with the proximity sensors.
Thanks for the feedback. I am on the fence for the Mr12Volt as my No. 1 choice. Interesting of the dark mode, did not know it would do that. How did you or did you need to, code your CIC for CD? I believe I'll have to once I get the CIC installed. So all I have to do is just code for the CD changer and not worry if the cable was preinstalled, is that what you were explaining?
Also are you able to connect via WiFi or USB or both? What else do you like and dislike?

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2024, 06:30 PM   #6
KanseiDorifto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 JB/FR E90 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I am on the fence for the Mr12Volt as my No. 1 choice. Interesting of the dark mode, did not know it would do that. How did you or did you need to, code your CIC for CD? I believe I'll have to once I get the CIC installed. So all I have to do is just code for the CD changer and not worry if the cable was preinstalled, is that what you were explaining?
Also are you able to connect via WiFi or USB or both? What else do you like and dislike?

Thanks,
Rob
There's coding instructions at the bottom of the first post in the mr12volt thread. There's weirdly some cases where people had to code and some didn't have to, though it seems the cases where some people didn't was because their cars automatically coded the CD changer and are mostly 2010 or 2011 cars. I was one of the lucky ones but in any case, CDMM_CHANGER_3 has to be coded to mp3_cdc for it to work. Don't worry if it was actually installed, the coding is to "trick" the car into thinking you have a CD changer that mr12volt can run through.

Both wifi and USB, another plus. I've tucked the USB into the passenger footwell as I don't intend to use it and it's hidden for a cleaner look with no trace of wiring.

For the actual unit, there's nothing really I dislike, it's a great unit. Integrates very well within the factory controls of the car that makes it feel OEM+ like the iDrive wheel. It's one of the few in-house designed systems, so they release updates based on feedback. They also occasionally run sales and one of their NA guys, Gordon, was super responsive and even answered my questions during his family bbq lol. I believe he's active in the linked thread as well. I've also seen a lot of people link up front/rear cameras, though I personally didn't.

Only dislikes can't be attributed to the actual product itself. Install is (relatively) straightforward, but I had some minor kinks during the initial setup process that also turned out to be stupidity on my end. Taking apart the dash and stuffing in the additional harnesses in felt like I was personally fist fighting my car, but again that's more limited to mine just in particular as I feel like I'm the first person who's ever taken it apart. Took the opportunity to respray my start/stop button.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2024, 06:43 PM   #7
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanseiDorifto View Post
There's coding instructions at the bottom of the first post in the mr12volt thread. There's weirdly some cases where people had to code and some didn't have to, though it seems the cases where some people didn't was because their cars automatically coded the CD changer and are mostly 2010 or 2011 cars. I was one of the lucky ones but in any case, CDMM_CHANGER_3 has to be coded to mp3_cdc for it to work. Don't worry if it was actually installed, the coding is to "trick" the car into thinking you have a CD changer that mr12volt can run through.

Both wifi and USB, another plus. I've tucked the USB into the passenger footwell as I don't intend to use it and it's hidden for a cleaner look with no trace of wiring.

For the actual unit, there's nothing really I dislike, it's a great unit. Integrates very well within the factory controls of the car that makes it feel OEM+ like the iDrive wheel. It's one of the few in-house designed systems, so they release updates based on feedback. They also occasionally run sales and one of their NA guys, Gordon, was super responsive and even answered my questions during his family bbq lol. I believe he's active in the linked thread as well. I've also seen a lot of people link up front/rear cameras, though I personally didn't.

Only dislikes can't be attributed to the actual product itself. Install is (relatively) straightforward, but I had some minor kinks during the initial setup process that also turned out to be stupidity on my end. Taking apart the dash and stuffing in the additional harnesses in felt like I was personally fist fighting my car, but again that's more limited to mine just in particular as I feel like I'm the first person who's ever taken it apart. Took the opportunity to respray my start/stop button.
Well brother, you and a few others in my post threads spoke highly of the Mr12volt so I think you just helped me decide. lol! I first need to get through the CCC to CIC conversion and make sure that works. I got it off a ebay vendor that codes your VIN to it, so I'm hoping it works well. The head unit is a bit scuffed up so I'm going to have to look for a cleaner one as I think it'll look like shit. I'm the original owner and interior is still like new. Thanks for your help.

Rob
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2024, 07:58 AM   #8
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Well brother, you and a few others in my post threads spoke highly of the Mr12volt so I think you just helped me decide. lol! I first need to get through the CCC to CIC conversion and make sure that works. I got it off a ebay vendor that codes your VIN to it, so I'm hoping it works well. The head unit is a bit scuffed up so I'm going to have to look for a cleaner one as I think it'll look like shit. I'm the original owner and interior is still like new. Thanks for your help.

Rob
If you had it coded to your vin and you didn't have a cd changer optioned from factory, then I recommend doing the coding before installing the Mr12Volt unit, because of the harness you wont be able to code the CIC after. It's easier just to do it and get it over with. Bimmercode and a dcan cable is all you need, everyone should have that anyways to read and clear codes on these cars, it pays for itself.

If that sounds too much for you, consider having a pro install it.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy699.50
      07-16-2024, 05:26 PM   #9
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
If you had it coded to your vin and you didn't have a cd changer optioned from factory, then I recommend doing the coding before installing the Mr12Volt unit, because of the harness you wont be able to code the CIC after. It's easier just to do it and get it over with. Bimmercode and a dcan cable is all you need, everyone should have that anyways to read and clear codes on these cars, it pays for itself.

If that sounds too much for you, consider having a pro install it.
I've not downloaded bimmercode yet but did get one of the readers and not sure if ipad or pc version is better, more user friendly. I'm good with using such software, as long as I got clear instructions so I'm not going nutz trying to figure it out and cause bigger mess. lol.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2024, 09:22 AM   #10
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Is Bimmer Plug and Bremmen the same unit?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 08:26 AM   #11
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
+1 for mr12volt
The uncompromising sound quality is defo the key feature here, but also just piggy backs oem idrive, and adds BT music, usb playback, video playback, etc.

I got it for my 08 with CCC, and the CarPlay looks just fine even on the lower res screen, that I no longer even care to upgrade to CIC. Money SAVING mod! lol
      07-31-2024, 04:58 AM   #12
Matt@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3 Touring, Z3

Mr12volt is 100% the way to go for the sound quality alone, really seamless integration too.

We hold them in stock ready to ship worldwide!

CIC - https://www.evolveautomotive.co.uk/p...c&_ss=e&_v=1.0

CCC - https://www.evolveautomotive.co.uk/p...48822367256867
Appreciate 1
Thumbie132.00
      Yesterday, 06:12 AM   #13
acvanlie74
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-E90 View Post
+1 for mr12volt
The uncompromising sound quality is defo the key feature here, but also just piggy backs oem idrive, and adds BT music, usb playback, video playback, etc.

I got it for my 08 with CCC, and the CarPlay looks just fine even on the lower res screen, that I no longer even care to upgrade to CIC. Money SAVING mod! lol
This is good to know! I was considering the mr12volt but was worried about the screen resolution. Thank you.
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90386.00