BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

05-06-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Leaning towards Audi A6 supercharged...thoughts?

I have enjoyed my 335i for two years now. However, I'm wanting to pick something up that's just a bit bigger. I've begun to look and am targeting this fall or winter for pulling the trigger on a CPO vehicle.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Audi A6 3.0T prestige. I've got several friends with F10s and they're nice vehicles, they're better as luxury cars than the A6. My buddies with their 535i and 550i are super quiet inside. But driving them and they're both M Sports, is kind of blah. Steering feedback is ok, not great, the steering is somewhat slow and the car feels really big.

The A6 and GS350 F Sport both feel quite a bit more nimble. The Audi A6 is interesting because the steering isn't much if any better. It seems to have slightly less feel compared with some F10s and more feel compared with others which I can't figure out, but it definitely feels more precise. The A6 also seems to have a touch more rear seat room and a better interior layout. Material quality is also better IMO.

I like the way the Lexus drives the best but its smaller inside, interior quality isn't quite as good but it's pretty damn good, but most importantly the drivetrain just feels ancient. Absolutely ancient.

At the absolute limit the BMW probably feels a bit better, but both cars that I have extensive time in get kinda pushy feeling up close to the limit, and it was more pronounced in my buddies 550i. I did push the Audi pretty hard this week in a few corners, probably 8/10ths and while some understeer was present, it wasn't much if any worse than the F10 chassis cars I've driven and it pulled better out of the corner. Can't really drive at 9/10 or 10/10 on public roads anyway...

I'll give the CTS V Sport a drive but from what I'm reading its not any bigger in the backseat than my 335i.

It doesn't help that my local BMW dealer just tried to screw a friend of mine and they bent one of my mirrors backwards at the last service and tried to tell me the mirror motor just "Failed to stop".

Has anyone else made the jump from BMW to Audi? Any thoughts?
      05-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would skip the F10. Had one as a loaner and the steering and handling were terrible. BMW ruined the 5 series. I haven't driven this generation A6 but I couldn't imagine it as being worse than the F10.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oolas3 View Post
I would skip the F10. Had one as a loaner and the steering and handling were terrible. BMW ruined the 5 series. I haven't driven this generation A6 but I couldn't imagine it as being worse than the F10.
I agree with you on the early F10s but by 2014 it was at least competent again
      05-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
After two E60s, my father tried a 2011 Audi A6. I've driven it in all situations and my god what a shit chassis. I didn't enjoy one bit of it. It looked good, and the interior was well built, but then again, the MMI system was crap as well. Fantastic engine though. A bit hungry on oil, but that was the only redeeming factor in that car. It pulled hard and was pretty responsive. The rest of the car, however, was not enjoyable at all.

I've driven an F10 a few times, but not enough seat time to have a full opinion on it. It was ok at the time (a full loaded 528 when it first came out with all the toys). I was so enamored with the new idrive and the extra toys that i never had a chance to really drive it.

all said and done, go for a few more test drives and see which appeals to you the most. tbh, nothing in this segment will be "exciting". we're talking about very large luxury sedans.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
rainfall162.50
      05-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
barbecuejoe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Estoril Blue M240i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
After two E60s, my father tried a 2011 Audi A6. I've driven it in all situations and my god what a shit chassis. I didn't enjoy one bit of it. It looked good, and the interior was well built, but then again, the MMI system was crap as well. Fantastic engine though. A bit hungry on oil, but that was the only redeeming factor in that car. It pulled hard and was pretty responsive. The rest of the car, however, was not enjoyable at all.

I've driven an F10 a few times, but not enough seat time to have a full opinion on it. It was ok at the time (a full loaded 528 when it first came out with all the toys). I was so enamored with the new idrive and the extra toys that i never had a chance to really drive it.

all said and done, go for a few more test drives and see which appeals to you the most. tbh, nothing in this segment will be "exciting". we're talking about very large luxury sedans.
Have to agree for the most part. I had a 2011 A6. Great engine, performed well, very responsive. Comfortable car with some space if you need a family hauler. Design of the car ok, nothing too exciting.
      05-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
8k4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

F10 was utter shit, got a 15 as a loaner, very disappointing. Audi was nice
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think a drive in the new G-series 5er is in order. It will change your mind. I was really impressed with it - recently.
Appreciate 1
OUGrad05528.50
      05-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #8
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post

Interesting you call the Chassis shit. I'm not sure there's a car in the class with a shit chassis in my opinion. Oddly the mag reviews indicate the audi chassis is superb, their steering is just numb.
      05-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #9
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Boss has one, very nice car but crazy expensive. Also, as with the 5er, cannot believe how small it is inside given how big it is outside.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I hope the MMI got A LOT better because it was horrendous on my 2010 S4. I do love that engine but, as someone mentioned earlier, it is oil-thirsty. I would have to add two quarts between changes which they called "normal" after trying to tell me it was because of my exhaust.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #11
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I had a 2010 A6 and a 2013 S4. I think the 2012-current A6 is nice but much more luxury oriented than sports oriented. Somewhat Lexus-like. The 3.0 SC engine is great and so is the interior, particularly small details likes knobs and buttons. Audi MMI with Google Earth is better than iDrive IMO. Overall, very nice car and gets you the extra room you seek but don't expect it to be a performance-oriented sports sedan.

I drove Lexus for 14 years before Audi (including a GS for 10 years). Their styling is polarizing and I am one that hates it so not a car I would ever consider. I also wouldn't personally consider a CTS-V. So between the three I'd go with the A6.

Have you looked at used Jag XF / XF-R?
      05-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #12
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

CPO XF-R's are a steal. Other boss had one, after three years i could have had it for a little over 40K which insane for 500+ HP!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #13
fr240
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Friend went from an E90 LCI 328xi 6MT (non-sport) to A6 Supercharged. He loves it. The response is great, NVH & build quality is excellent. The instant torque is special too.

He claims it doesn't handle as well as his E90 did, but loves every other aspect of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 04:58 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

A friend of mine has an S5 with that supercharged 6 in it. She loves it. I think its a very nice car.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #15
Dshady
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I had a 2014 A6 tdi before my F80, best car I ever owned. It just wasn't exciting for me. If I was in the market for that size vehicle, I would buy one again. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 06:51 AM   #16
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

Audis have very complex engine and tranny layouts that make maintenance expensive, plus they put a lot of weight on the front end, like 55%, making the handling sub-optimal. It is a very heavy car, over 4,000 pounds, as is the 5 series and the CTS-V, which cuts out the nimble feeling of driving and drags down MPG. Otherwise, they are nice cars.
      05-10-2017, 07:05 AM   #17
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater328iT View Post
Audis have very complex engine and tranny layouts that make maintenance expensive, plus they put a lot of weight on the front end, like 55%, making the handling sub-optimal. It is a very heavy car, over 4,000 pounds, as is the 5 series and the CTS-V, which cuts out the nimble feeling of driving and drags down MPG. Otherwise, they are nice cars.
I remember reading in 'CAR' magazine many years back that front heavy car's - front wheel drive - are like a throw dart in that they are more stable in a straight line at speed and in rain and snow also. As far a turning quickly in rapid succession they lack.

Two years ago I drive the Audi A5 at a comparison event at my BMW dealer. I had read reviews where the journalist described a cars steering as 'wooden' and never quite knew what that meant. Then I drive the A5 and the steering feel was awkward, I couldn't believe Audi was selling it. Then a year later drive the A3 and the steering was way better. My point is you got to test drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I remember reading in 'CAR' magazine many years back that front heavy car's - front wheel drive - are like a throw dart in that they are more stable in a straight line at speed and in rain and snow also. As far a turning quickly in rapid succession they lack.

Two years ago I drive the Audi A5 at a comparison event at my BMW dealer. I had read reviews where the journalist described a cars steering as 'wooden' and never quite knew what that meant. Then I drive the A5 and the steering feel was awkward, I couldn't believe Audi was selling it. Then a year later drive the A3 and the steering was way better. My point is you got to test drive.
There is a reason why people say Audi's Audisteer(meaning understeer). The engines are still mounted way out, infront of the car.'s front axle.. no mater how trick your center and rear diffs are... the car is gonna understeer. Sure newer models have seen the engine move further back... but it still hangs way out there.

But what gets me about Audi's are the cheap parts VAG uses. They know certian things will break. They continue to use the same old shitty parts - even though they know they could spend half a dollor more on that part and it would be fine for the life of the car. I really don't see BMW doing this so much. I understand why most car companies do that... but my point is your buying more than a car with a BMW(or Porsche)... its more of an entire package. That's why I continue to drive BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #19
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
There is a reason why people say Audi's Audisteer(meaning understeer). The engines are still mounted way out, infront of the car.'s front axle.. no mater how trick your center and rear diffs are... the car is gonna understeer. Sure newer models have seen the engine move further back... but it still hangs way out there.

But what gets me about Audi's are the cheap parts VAG uses. They know certian things will break. They continue to use the same old shitty parts - even though they know they could spend half a dollor more on that part and it would be fine for the life of the car. I really don't see BMW doing this so much. I understand why most car companies do that... but my point is your buying more than a car with a BMW(or Porsche)... its more of an entire package. That's why I continue to drive BMW's.
My friends that are in the racing business still say it's the Audi handling that excludes them from considering one.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10641.50
      05-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #20
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr240 View Post
Friend went from an E90 LCI 328xi 6MT (non-sport) to A6 Supercharged. He loves it. The response is great, NVH & build quality is excellent. The instant torque is special too.

He claims it doesn't handle as well as his E90 did, but loves every other aspect of it.
E90 is a special car in the handling and driver engagement dept. Not surprised the A6 doesn't handle quite that well.
Germanauto9750.50
      05-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #21
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
E90 is a special car in the handling and driver engagement dept. Not surprised the A6 doesn't handle quite that well.
Audi A6 doesn't have to out-handle E90 - different classes. It does out-handle F10, I have F10 535i xdrive with DHP and summer non-run-flat tires and after driving A6 I felt like Audi was a bit more comfortable, handled better and drove much smaller than my 535. But the F10's are known to drive more like a 7-series (E65 platform after all).
Here is my experience with A6:

I liked:
1. Audi's 3.0L SC TFSI V6 is a gem - feels WAY faster than my N55, probably due to zero lag.
2. You can get a dip stick with this engine ($25 from ECS Tuning) - means no more messy DIY oil changes with oil pump extractor.
3. A spare tire still present with this generation -
4. Rear leg room about 2" more than my F10
5. Drives way smaller than it actually is - very easy to drive fast
6. 40/60 rear seats split is standard - unlike my F10
7. Ventilated seats in A6 do better job at cooling your a$$ vs. F10
8. Full LED headlights and LED interior available from 2012.

I didn't like:
1. Looks pretty plain vs M-sport F10
2. No comfort seats available
3. 3.0L TFSI can be more thirsty than N55
4. I still prefer iDrive over Audi's MMI, but Google Earth maps are pretty neat (I actually rarely use iDrive for anything).

After owning F10 and test driving A6 few times, I would probably go with A7 Prestige to resolve plain look of A6 and get some extra cargo room everything else is the same as on A6... Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #22
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Well it's a great car.

But being an Audi it'll blend right in on the road. Nobody will look at it even once. They are dull looking cars. If buying something with flash isn't of importance to you then it's the right choice, considering the F10 was a numb harpoon whale.
Appreciate 0