BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

BPM

08-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Vinja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black/Black '09 M3

Moving to San Diego

Hello all, I am moving to San Diego soon and was wondering what areas have houses for rent that you can walk from to a good strip of restaurants? Max I can pay a month is around 2800. How much is a normal electric/gas bill?

My wife is pretty hard up on Adam's Ave in Normal Heights, was wondering if anyone has some input on that area. If there are any property manager types out there to help me I will give you a call. But I am loaded with questions. I am an east coast guy so this will be my first experience living there.
      08-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
subgraphic
Rep
Drives: '08 328i boner level

Hi.

I bought and owned a house 2 blocks off of Adams ave (hawley blvd)
My official opinion: don't do it.

Although the road has a few hip spots, the area isn't the nicest, and there were several incidents there and close by that involved robberies, murders, muggings... And Im not exaggerating. Plus, there really isn't much to do there, once you've seen the one or two blocks worth seeing, it gets old.
I sold and moved from there as fast as I could.
If she's really dead set on that area, at least move down Adams to kingsington. Its a nice neighborhood, but not much to do either.

I was in a similar situation as you, moving here not knowing what part to land in. I've been here 10 years now, lived all over SD and can whole heartily recommended north county. Encinitas, solana beach, del mar... Thats where you want to be. Don't let the beaches near by scare you, its a renters market right now.

I hope this helps you.

Please don't hesitate to email me if you have further questions. Use my username here at gmail.

Scot
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
///kory
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 m3

^ What he said, Del Mar or Encinitas for sure.

For gas and electric depends how close to the beach you are (farther inland you will occasionally have to use AC). But living within 10 miles of the coast you can expect to never use the AC or heat and have a bill of less than $100 (depending on the size of the place).
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

There are a lot of nice areas in SD. It's really a matter of what you're looking for.

Finding an area with houses within walking distance of good restaurants is not easy. Finding a condo or apartment is much easier.

Del Mar and Encinitias are def good all around pics, but you may find the traffic to be a pain depending on where you are working/commuting. And if you are not a beach person and don't like the laid back casual vibe it might not be right for you.

Do you have anymore information regarding where you will be working, what style of nightlife/restaurants you are looking for, age bracket, hobbies, etc? Those things really dictate where to live in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Vinja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I will be working at 32nd street in the Navy. We like chill bars with a good local presence, maybe a band night every so often. I am 31, I like tinkering with cars and socializing over a beer. We just REALLY want a garage for the M3, and would not really like connected housing. Sharing a wall sucks for everyone involved(Hey, Peter man check out channel 9!).
We really can't say what we are settling on until we get there to feel the area's out.

On the flipside my wife is a photographer, and would like to be in a community where there are like-minded folks.
      08-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

OK, so this is good info. If you're going to be working down south of downtown then it may be wise for your sanity to stick in the southern San Diego area. I love North County, but who likes sitting in traffic every day?

If your wife is into the Normal Heights area you might also want to look at North Park, South Park, Burlingame, Universtiy heights area. Hillcrest is also cool, but is considered the "gay area" of San Diego... for lack of a better term. I don't find it to be a big deal, but some people are really bothered by that so just a heads up. These areas offer good restaurants, bars, and actually have old style houses instead of condos. Rent for a house in these areas is probably in the $2000-$2300 range for something reasonable for 2 people. There is a bit of eclectic art culture in these areas as well which is nice... which seems to attract the hipsters. You are also very close to Balboa Park and Downtown in these areas.

If you are into a beach style place then I would check out Crown Point in Pacific Beach. PB (as it's called) has a bad rap for being the college party center, but it's nice in the right areas. Crown Point being one of those areas.

If you can handle living downtown in a condo there are some awesome areas in Little Italy. Downtown style living with an artsy side. Lots of coffee shops and small bars. Tons of good food as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Vinja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you very much, these areas are very nice. Very helpful, man!
      08-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
onnex
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.26]
I actually just made the move to north county and work downtown. I alternate between taking the Coaster and driving, and remarkably there is little to no traffic in the AM, and minimal leaving downtown (except fridays by Del Mar racetrack). I thought I was looking out at the wrong freeway from the coaster when I wasn't seeing traffic.. so I gave it a shot and it's been really nice (half the time of the train) I thought driving would be out of the question, but I get from Solana to DT in about 20/25 mins door-to-door.

This is not to say it's not easier to live closer to DT, but it is still an option if you like the costal living

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullan View Post
OK, so this is good info. If you're going to be working down south of downtown then it may be wise for your sanity to stick in the southern San Diego area. I love North County, but who likes sitting in traffic every day?

If your wife is into the Normal Heights area you might also want to look at North Park, South Park, Burlingame, Universtiy heights area. Hillcrest is also cool, but is considered the "gay area" of San Diego... for lack of a better term. I don't find it to be a big deal, but some people are really bothered by that so just a heads up. These areas offer good restaurants, bars, and actually have old style houses instead of condos. Rent for a house in these areas is probably in the $2000-$2300 range for something reasonable for 2 people. There is a bit of eclectic art culture in these areas as well which is nice... which seems to attract the hipsters. You are also very close to Balboa Park and Downtown in these areas.

If you are into a beach style place then I would check out Crown Point in Pacific Beach. PB (as it's called) has a bad rap for being the college party center, but it's nice in the right areas. Crown Point being one of those areas.

If you can handle living downtown in a condo there are some awesome areas in Little Italy. Downtown style living with an artsy side. Lots of coffee shops and small bars. Tons of good food as well.
      08-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
fherjohn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 e93

We might be renting our home in eastlake which is south sd. Very nice gated community. Right in your price range. When do u plan on moving here?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
Vinja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am here, only have seen 1 white coupe neat qualcomm on sunday going toward a residential area. good lookin car. I have mine now very happy, want to meet some car people where do they meet?
      10-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Wanna know where all E9X guys hang out?
Then join here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...71209&page=247

That's where we hang out and set up dinner meet etc. =)
Welcome to SD!

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0