BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

06-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
mkiv808
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 E90/Cayman S

Bump stops?

I searched for this, but couldn't find an answer.

I currently have Eibach springs on my E92. I bought the car with them.

I want to switch to stock. I don't need my car any lower or any harsher riding on the bad roads around where I live. I also don't really believe in any appreciable handling benefit to them alone, as I totally have faith in the car being dialed-in geometry wise from the factory.

That said, I've seen a lot of springs being sold with the bump stops. A few questions:

1. If my car has Eibachs, will it definitely have non-original bump stops?
2. Is there any way to tell if they're non-original? If so, is there any way to tell which they are?
3. Is there a ride quality benefit to having the originals?
4. Is it much added labor to put new OEM bump stops on the car if they're already doing the springs? Anything else I should replace while the springs are out? Car is approaching 50k.

Thanks!
      06-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post

I want to switch to stock. I don't need my car any lower or any harsher riding on the bad roads around where I live. I also don't really believe in any appreciable handling benefit to them alone, as I totally have faith in the car being dialed-in geometry wise from the factory.

That said, I've seen a lot of springs being sold with the bump stops. A few questions:

2. Is there any way to tell if they're non-original? If so, is there any way to tell which they are?
4. Is it much added labor to put new OEM bump stops on the car if they're already doing the springs? Anything else I should replace while the springs are out? Car is approaching 50k.

Thanks!
Bump stops are cheap. Just buy a new set and have them slipped on when the springs are changed. There is no extra work involved in this. The e9x bump stop is progressive, as opposed to the smaller e36 stop that some people use.

I have eibachs and I never changed the stops - the car drives perfectly. Not every one changed the bump stops, so you may have the originals. The car's suspension was designed with progressive rate bump stops in mind, so if you are going back to stock, I would definitely use the original style stops.

Personally, I don't think the car necessarily drives any better with stock springs. It is a bit softer though. The stock springs definitely ride higher and the car will not looks as good - fair warning.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

The stock suspension is great on the street. I put e36 bump stops on when I had Eibachs but not everyone does. I'd just get a pair of new ones and slip 'em on when changing the springs.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post

Thanks!
1. It really depends, many people have upgraded springs and have not added "upgraded" bump stops
2. They will be alot taller if they were stock and shorter if they are e36. Picture below:

4. Shouldn't be added to install the stock ones, they just slip on and off. Just have them look over your suspension and check if there are any cracking on the bushing and top hat. Once they give you a okay then you will be fine.
Appreciate 0