BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-10-2024, 06:56 PM   #1
karo0000
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Need Some Help TPMS

Hey guys, I got a 13 e92 m3 and I just put on some hre r101 lightweight on it paired with r888r’s, tpms’s are all good as I took the car to a tire shop but the light came on. Started on the day I put the wheels, light came on flashing. Pulled over, reset, drove it, and it went away. 2 days fast forward (today) I hopped on the freeway and it started flashing again. That’s when I took it to the shop to check the sensors and he told me their all good, matched with my vin and everything. Confused now, I reset the tpms once again I’m gonna drive it when it cools down a bit but I’m hoping light goes away and doesn’t come back. Any advice? I’m only 16 y/o and as much as i do my research there’s just some stuff older folks can help out with 😂
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2024, 08:31 AM   #2
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, '25 Taycan4S, E46

did you buy new TPMS sensors or did you swap your original TPMS sensors over to the new wheels?

If you bought new sensors, which sensors did you buy (brand/model)?

When you say the tire light is flashing, is it showing the yellow tire icon and the word INACTIVE below it in the screen between the tachometer and speedometer? or does jus the smaller tire light icon toward the top of the gauge cluster flash?
      07-15-2024, 03:47 PM   #3
karo0000
Registered
Rep

So it comes on and says tpm malfunction, external interference. It’s new sensors not the ones off of my oem wheels. Got bmw genuine sensors. And the light comes on the actual screen on the dash, and the icon comes on aswell
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2024, 09:17 AM   #4
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karo0000 View Post
So it comes on and says tpm malfunction, external interference. It’s new sensors not the ones off of my oem wheels. Got bmw genuine sensors. And the light comes on the actual screen on the dash, and the icon comes on aswell
If you still have your old wheels/tires/sensors, you can try swapping them onto the car, resetting the TPMS light, and see what happens. If the TPMS malfunction/interference problem goes away, you know you have an issue with one of your new TPMS sensors, regardless of what your shop says.

If you swap wheels/tires out and you STILL have the problem, then you know it is something on the "car" side of the equation and nothing to do with the TPMS sensors.

You said "got BMW sensors" but that could mean 100 different things. Did you physically walk into your BMW dealership parts department and purchase the expensive OEM sensors? or did you buy "OEM sensors" on some website, or did you buy OEM sensor equivalents without the BMW logo on them, or or or, etc. A TPMS sensor tool should show you frequency that the sensors are operating on (433mhz) and the sensors battery life. You can have a new sensor with a bad battery.

If the sensors you installed were not the correct sensor for the car, typically you would get a "TPMS INACTIVE" message and not the "Interference" message you are getting, so it sounds like you have the correct sensors and something is just wrong.

Something else to consider: Have you installed anything like LED lights, gauges, bluetooth accessories, etc. around the same time as installing these new wheels? A lot of of the time, its some other accessory that is causing an interference and operating near the same frequency that the TPMS system is.
      07-21-2024, 04:32 PM   #5
karo0000
Registered
Rep

Nothing at all bro, I called my local bmw dealer. Gave them my vin and ordered 4 sensors for the wheels. Didn’t do any Bluetooth or lights or anything like that. It says TPMS inactive on the dash, but in the i drive system it says external interference 🤔 I’m so lost
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2024, 12:27 PM   #6
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karo0000 View Post
🤔 I’m so lost
If you are still having troubles, you need to find ways to narrow things down. If this was my car and depending on what you have available to you:

1. I'd use a laptop and K+DCAN cable to connect to the car using ISTA+D BMW diagnostic software (free download; see Coding section for more info) and then I'd read the fault memory and see exactly what fault(s) is being thrown. ISTA will then provide you with a possible test plan that helps you troubleshoot the issue step-by-step or at least point you in a more specific area for you to focus on.

2. Depending on what ISTA tells me, if it points to a specific TPMS sensor as the problem, I'd try to swap some compatible wheels/tires/TPMS sensors onto your car (like your stock ones if you still have them), reset the TPMS, and then see what happens. If the same fault code(s) pop up, but move, then you can most likely say that you have a bad TPMS sensor. If the fault code stays exactly the same after swapping wheels, then you know it's either the TPMS transmitters or the receiver.

3. Take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. It's just odd that you had no issues before the new wheels/tires so you would think you've got a faulty TPMS sensor causing an issue.