BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-12-2021, 11:18 AM   #1
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Carly - dealer can't pull the same codes?

Hi guys,

back from the shop regarding an insurance thing. Turns out that the shop - not a BMW dealer but proper indy - can't read the code I read with Carly. We're standing next to each other, they with their 500 buck "BMW computer", no codes while I'm pulling them.

An issue as I/they depend on the code in order to do the work.

Anyone experienced the same thing?

Thanks

Last edited by Helmsman; 01-13-2021 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
jellydoughnutt
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Do you have a check engine light?

I would try another shop, if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:27 AM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellydoughnutt View Post
Do you have a check engine light?

I would try another shop, if that's the case.
Nope engine light, simple code for the aux pump. Strange thing is that the shop don't see that code coming up, while I do with Carly at the same time. If it was the other way around and Carly was unable to see some codes, it would make more sense in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:47 AM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Carly can read all modules.

Perhaps their tool cannot. or they are trying to read something else like the ECU which if there is no check engine light, will have no codes.

If you know what module Carly is reading the code from, tell them to read that module.

If they don't already know this......they aren't a shop i'd want to leave my vehicle with.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #5
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Carly can read all modules.

Perhaps their tool cannot. or they are trying to read something else like the ECU which if there is no check engine light, will have no codes.

If you know what module Carly is reading the code from, tell them to read that module.

If they don't already know this......they aren't a shop i'd want to leave my vehicle with.
Cheers tdrott, was thinking the same, they "should" be able to read all modules and they even tried a couple fo different computers/scanners.
Anyways, was mostly interested to hear if anyone bumped into a similar scenario. I'll visit them again at some point and make another try.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

I'm not convinced Carly is 100% trustworthy. I haven't scanned my current car but used Carly on my previous 09' and it would show faults or codes that wouldn't show up via other means.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #7
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
I'm not convinced Carly is 100% trustworthy. I haven't scanned my current car but used Carly on my previous 09' and it would show faults or codes that wouldn't show up via other means.
That so? Interesting. It's really strange that they can't see the code (A6D1 aux water pump) while they did see another temporary code also Carly spotted (instrument cluster).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:59 AM   #8
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
That is strange to be sure. Could also invest in one of the Schwaben scan tools (e.g. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/) when it's on sale as an alternative reader to Carly. I think it's also sold unbranded as Foxwell for less. I bought the Schwaben for $122 a couple of years ago.
      01-15-2021, 09:57 PM   #9
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Nope engine light, simple code for the aux pump. Strange thing is that the shop don't see that code coming up, while I do with Carly at the same time. If it was the other way around and Carly was unable to see some codes, it would make more sense in my mind.
Did they pull shadow codes?

When I run Reingold it picks up everything Carly does and in some cases additional codes.
      01-18-2021, 07:52 AM   #10
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Did they pull shadow codes?

When I run Reingold it picks up everything Carly does and in some cases additional codes.
So proper scanners should even pick up codes that Carly doesn't, good input. They claimed they read "shadow" codes as well but not sure they fully understood what that was, neither do I. What is that, codes shuffled deeper in the memory and stuck even after clearing?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #11
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
So proper scanners should even pick up codes that Carly doesn't, good input. They claimed they read "shadow" codes as well but not sure they fully understood what that was, neither do I. What is that, codes shuffled deeper in the memory and stuck even after clearing?
Im not an expert on this, but I understand they are normal codes that are thrown but are kept in long term memory. Ask then to use the BMW INPA tool.