BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Benfmd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral White/SO M3

Review of my new E93 M3

I recently finished the break in period on my new M3 Convertible, which now has 1900 miles on it. Just as some background, I have a lot of experience with M cars, having owned an E36 M3, two E46 M3's (the last one with the Competition Package), and most recently an E60 M5 that I just gave back after the lease was up. So my new M3 cab is my 5th M car in the last 12 years.

This is my first convertible, and only bought the convertible version of the M3 because of my kids, who really wanted to ride in a convertible. I have always viewed a convertible as a compromise in performance, so was never interested until now (what a mistake I have been making in the past!).

The car is a 6 speed, Jerez Black/Fox Red & Carbon Leather interior, with every option except extended leather (more about that later). Compared to my recently gone E60 M5, the M3 cab has the following characteristics:

1. Better road feel.
2. More tossable (even though weight is about the same as the M5), and more fun on winding roads.
3. More engaging to drive, but this may be due to having a 6 speed rather the SMG.
4. Not quite as fast as the M5 on the high end.
5. By the seat of the pants, not noticeably slower in acceleration, although I am sure on the track the M5 would beat it.
6. MUCH better gas mileage than the M5 (I now only have to fill the car up once a week instead of twice

All things considered I MUCH prefer my new M3 Cab to the M5. Driving with the top down on a nice day is an unbelievable experience. The engine sounds like that of a jet (though I do miss the lower grunt of the V10 on occasion). I have driven several E92 M3 DCT cars, and I can tell you that the 6 speed is much more fun. Sure I am giving up some performance vs a DCT coupe, but I believe that that performance gap is only noticeable on a track. I notice NO performance penalty for driving a 6 speed convertible on the street vs the coupe. With the coupe however you can not remove the roof, which from here on out for me is unacceptable!

There are only two things I miss about my M5:

1. No HUD
2. I wish I had more trunk space when trying to stuff my kid's hockey bags in the trunk!

I would dare to say that if you want a convertible with a hard top (I would never consider a soft top) the E93 M3 is the best car available in the world at any price other than the Ferrari California!

I was going to get the extended leather, but with Fox Red it just seemed that there was too much red in the cockpit. It seemed a bit too loud for me (others may disagree of course).

Looking forward to any comments.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Benfmd; 11-21-2010 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfmd View Post
I recently finished the break in period on my new M3 Convertible, which now has 1900 miles on it. Just as some background, I have a lot of experience with M cars, having owned an E36 M3, two E46 M3's (the last one with the Competition Package), and most recently an E60 M5 that I just gave back after the lease was up. So my new M3 cab is my 5th M car in the last 12 years.

This is my first convertible, and only bought the convertible version of the M3 because of my kids, who really wanted to ride in a convertible. I have always viewed a convertible as a compromise in performance, so was never interested until now (what a mistake I have been making in the past!).

The car is a 6 speed, Jerez Black/Fox Red & Carbon Leather interior, with every option except extended leather (more about that later). Compared to my recently gone E60 M5, the M3 cab has the following characteristics:

1. Better road feel.
2. More tossable (even though weight is about the same as the M5), and more fun on winding roads.
3. More engaging to drive, but this may be due to having a 6 speed rather the SMG.
4. Not quite as fast as the M5 on the high end.
5. By the seat of the pants, not noticeably slower in acceleration, although I am sure on the track the M5 would beat it.
6. MUCH better gas mileage than the M5 (I now only have to fill the car up once a week instead of twice

All things considered I MUCH prefer my new M3 Cab to the M5. Driving with the top down on a nice day is an unbelievable experience. The engine sounds like that of a jet (though I do miss the lower grunt of the V10 on occasion). I have driven several E92 M3 DCT cars, and I can tell you that the 6 speed is much more fun. Sure I am giving up some performance vs a DCT coupe, but I believe that that performance gap is only noticeable on a track. I notice NO performance penalty for driving a 6 speed convertible on the street vs the coupe. With the coupe however you can not remove the roof, which from here on out for me is unacceptable!

There are only two things I miss about my M5:

1. No HUD
2. I wish I had more trunk space when trying to stuff my kid's hockey bags in the trunk!

I would dare to say that if you want a convertible with a hard top (I would never consider a soft top) the E93 M3 is the best car available in the world at any price other than the Ferrari California!

I was going to get the extended leather, but with Fox Red it just seemed that there was too much red in the cockpit. It seemed a bit too loud for me (others may disagree of course).

Looking forward to any comments.

Thanks for reading.
Just wait until you get more miles on the car - I have 27k on my 08 E93 and it drives better now than ever before! I just got oil change new PS2's fuel system flush and alignment and the car is so
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Nice comparison! Welcome to E9x club!
      11-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

As I was saying - after that service the engine seems even more responsive and alive than ever - ice had the car for 2 1/2 years and it literally keeps getting better the more miles I put on it!

Glad to hear you also did not notice any difference in street driving vs E92 - seems like the only people who do are either those who have tracked both or the "purist" E92 or E90 drivers who have never driven the E93.

Also surprised (in good way) that you didn't notice much difference vs E60 except way at top end and in twisties E93 still more fun! Going to appreciate my car that much more now!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
bbob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 328i, 2011 e92 m3

Quote:
I have driven several E92 M3 DCT cars, and I can tell you that the 6 speed is much more fun. Sure I am giving up some performance vs a DCT coupe, but I believe that that performance gap is only noticeable on a track.
yup! I'm one of those purist who could go for a manual over the DCT, even though its supposedly faster... i just don't like the feeling of the paddle shifters. it's like im holding some game controller and just pushing buttons instead of really shifting gears... just my 0.02...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
EuroCarsOnline
Rep
Drives: BMW Individual M3 Sedan

Plus with the top down you are more exposed to that rumbling V8. Congrats!

Ultimate Buying Power
BMWDavid@me.com
www.bmweco.com 202-262-2900
Call Joy for Vehicle Status 443-883-6925
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
jbm3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 BMW M3 (e93)

Thumbs up

Great decision!!!
In 2002 I had an M5 (which I loved) and purchased an M roadster (Imola red with 2tone red/blk interior - glorious car in it's day) for my wife. Well I found myself stealing her car away from her every weekend.

When the e46 M3 vert came out, I did not hesitate to swap my M5 for the M3 vert. I have never looked back on owning a convertible. Since then, I went from the e46 M3 to an 08 335 vert (new M e93 not out yet) ... and finally got back into the M3 e93 a month ago 2011.5 mineral white). BEST BIMMER I HAVE EVER OWNED (8th one in a row now).

I live in L.A and have access to open top motoring 75% of the time. Moral is once you go vert you never go back. Enjoy it buddy !!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Congrats bro... I think manual is the way to go.

I was so close to getting the E93 but at the end went with the JZB coupe manual... Everything else expect the ended Leather.,

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
half man half amazin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430 Gran Coupe

I really want the coupe but my salesman told me the the vert is going to lease better. So you didn't notice the extra 400 lbs that the vert adds?? I'm not being sarcastic either, I'm genuinely asking. I thought the vert had a much slower 0-60 time. I don't want to get the vert and regret it later.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #10
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Congrats on the car man I was thinking about an e93 since the leasing is phenomenal on them right now but ended up going with an e92. Besides I like to accelerate fast and not sure I could take the stares at the next traffic lights with no top haha.

Reading the manual the convert has some cool features not on the e92.

Take any pics yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 02:00 AM   #11
cpars006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8 View Post
Congrats on the car man I was thinking about an e93 since the leasing is phenomenal on them right now but ended up going with an e92. Besides I like to accelerate fast and not sure I could take the stares at the next traffic lights with no top haha.

Reading the manual the convert has some cool features not on the e92.

Take any pics yet?
My E93 M3 is coming in 1 month and I honestly CAN NOT wait any longer!

What features are you talking about?! (other than the roof coming off :P ) haha!

Great review.. made it that much harder for my wait time!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

Thanks for the review. I test drove an E93M DCT over the weekend, and it was fantastic. The sound of the engine and the cars overall balance and grip is unbelievable. I finally realized what people mean by it being on another level from the 335. I'm weighing color options and think I'm going to go Jerez with either fox or silver interior. Do you have any pics of your car?

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
HelioM3
Rep
Drives: M3

Nice review!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

top down M3 driving is sublime -- I love my E93 for daily driving
      11-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor J View Post
top down M3 driving is sublime -- I love my E93 for daily driving
this.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #16
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

Having owned both, there is definitely a difference in feel and performance between the e92 and e93. Not just on the track either. But with that said, if it is your daily driver, I understand why you would pick the convert over the coupe. Nothing like top-down driving IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye lexus View Post
I really want the coupe but my salesman told me the the vert is going to lease better. So you didn't notice the extra 400 lbs that the vert adds?? I'm not being sarcastic either, I'm genuinely asking. I thought the vert had a much slower 0-60 time. I don't want to get the vert and regret it later.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #17
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Hunting for M5 Comp Pack

Great review. Makes me more excited to get mine.

I just got back from the dealership a few hrs ago and as others have said the lease rates on the E93 are amazing right now. Literally $3-400 less than just a few months ago. There are so many people on leasetrader trying to get $1400/mo for their now used cars when you can walk into any dealer and get a brand new 0 mile E93 with every available option (including the $2900 DCT) for $960ish including all taxes rolled into the payment and $0 down. Or at least $0 cap cost reduction...you still have to pay bank fee, first mo, etc which all comes out to about $2100.

Those of you who have been pricing them out, what kind of discounts off MSRP are you getting on the E93 lease quotes? I'm seeing about $4500 plus the $1500 holiday credit in the numbers I provided above.

DCT vs Manual. I've had manuals all my life. Then I had a 2006 E46 Convert SMG which I pretty much hated because the car was slightly underpowered to begin with and the auto mode was awful. But with the E9X V8 and the MUCH MUCH improved DCT everyone just raves about the DCT so I think I'm going that direction. Seems to be a lot of manual lovers on this thread but I just can't do it with my roughly 80 mile roundtrip daily commute unfortunately which sometimes has some bumper to bumper. I also love the double downshift throttle blips of the DCT and the ability to leave two hands on the wheel during serious driving.

Last question...on color. I really love the Jerez / Fox Red but thinking it might be a little too loud for my taste, especially with the top down. Going with non-extended leather is an interersting idea. Is whatever they put instead of the Novillo cheesy looking or is it of high quality? If I can't decide I'll probably just going the more boring route of Jerez Black / Black Extended interior.

Enjoy the new ride....
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

I don't think JB/Fox is "flashy" -- i think it's pretty understated. The fox red is not really red -- more like a terracotta clay color

P1020377
      11-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #19
Benfmd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Afew points.

1. The convertible leases much better than the coupe even though MSRP is almost $10k higher. I am paying $890/month for 3 years 10k miles/year no money down, taxes included.

2. You will NOT notice a difference vs the coupe in everyday driving. I promise! The E93 drives and handles fantastic!. Car and Driver had a review where they got the E93 0-60 in 4.6sec, see here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

3. Your concern is backwards. If you get the coupe you will regret not getting the convertible There is nothing better than driving it top down on a nice day! IF you are worried about not having the best possible performance you should be getting a 911 Turbo anyway. There will always be another car that can outperform whatever car you currently own, so I would get the one which is most enjoyable, which in my opinion is the E93 M3!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #20
Benfmd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver TT View Post
Great review. Makes me more excited to get mine.

I just got back from the dealership a few hrs ago and as others have said the lease rates on the E93 are amazing right now. Literally $3-400 less than just a few months ago. There are so many people on leasetrader trying to get $1400/mo for their now used cars when you can walk into any dealer and get a brand new 0 mile E93 with every available option (including the $2900 DCT) for $960ish including all taxes rolled into the payment and $0 down. Or at least $0 cap cost reduction...you still have to pay bank fee, first mo, etc which all comes out to about $2100.

Those of you who have been pricing them out, what kind of discounts off MSRP are you getting on the E93 lease quotes? I'm seeing about $4500 plus the $1500 holiday credit in the numbers I provided above.

DCT vs Manual. I've had manuals all my life. Then I had a 2006 E46 Convert SMG which I pretty much hated because the car was slightly underpowered to begin with and the auto mode was awful. But with the E9X V8 and the MUCH MUCH improved DCT everyone just raves about the DCT so I think I'm going that direction. Seems to be a lot of manual lovers on this thread but I just can't do it with my roughly 80 mile roundtrip daily commute unfortunately which sometimes has some bumper to bumper. I also love the double downshift throttle blips of the DCT and the ability to leave two hands on the wheel during serious driving.

Last question...on color. I really love the Jerez / Fox Red but thinking it might be a little too loud for my taste, especially with the top down. Going with non-extended leather is an interersting idea. Is whatever they put instead of the Novillo cheesy looking or is it of high quality? If I can't decide I'll probably just going the more boring route of Jerez Black / Black Extended interior.

Enjoy the new ride....
Fox red is DEFINITELY not too loud. It is more of a subdued red/maroon color. As I mentioned I do think it becomes too loud with the extended leather option, which is a good thing since you save some money not getting extended leather! Also the Carbon leather looks great with it.

I will try to post pics tonight.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #21
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Hunting for M5 Comp Pack

Benf -

Please do post some pics. I've gone through all the Sticky Picture threads and don't see many of the Fox Red and even those that are there are pretty crappy pictures.

I'm also intrigued by the new Fox Red / Black / Black option for 2011. As it gives some color and reduces the bore factor of the Black on Black on Black car but doesn't have too much red if you are someone who likes understated colors. Of course this is all just personal opinion so there is no right answer. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 02:16 AM   #22
half man half amazin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Afew points.

1. The convertible leases much better than the coupe even though MSRP is almost $10k higher. I am paying $890/month for 3 years 10k miles/year no money down, taxes included.

2. You will NOT notice a difference vs the coupe in everyday driving. I promise! The E93 drives and handles fantastic!. Car and Driver had a review where they got the E93 0-60 in 4.6sec, see here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

3. Your concern is backwards. If you get the coupe you will regret not getting the convertible There is nothing better than driving it top down on a nice day! IF you are worried about not having the best possible performance you should be getting a 911 Turbo anyway. There will always be another car that can outperform whatever car you currently own, so I would get the one which is most enjoyable, which in my opinion is the E93 M3!
Thank you very much!!! (1) thanks for taking the time to respond to my concern.

(2) thank you for the hands on experience review and link, I appreciate it. So e93 it is!!!!
Appreciate 0