BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-24-2024, 06:16 PM   #89
OmairK
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 - 2011 E90 M3 6M ZCP

Wondering if the Mahle Motorsport forged pistons would also make that noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2024, 09:30 PM   #90
e90sanmarino
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
Amazing build. If my s65 ever goes, I might copy you!

Subbing to see updates
Thanks for the kind words man. I hope your engine does not go. But if it does, you can always message me
Appreciate 1
Thumbie132.00
      06-24-2024, 09:36 PM   #91
e90sanmarino
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmairK View Post
From what Ive seen on M359 Restoration channel it does not have piston slap noise. But I'm 90% sure Carbahn uses Mahle piston also. Mr Steve Dinan did say they made clearance a little bigger in their stroker.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 02:59 AM   #92
e90sanmarino
Private
Rep

Hello everyone,

I wanted to provide an update as I have recently surpassed 3,000 kilometers on the stroker engine.

1/ The engine does exhibit higher oil consumption. After 800 miles since my last oil change, the oil level is below the midpoint on the gauge. Some users report consuming a quart of oil every 700 miles. According to Steve Dinan, this higher oil consumption is typical for stroker engines, although I'm uncertain about this.

2/ Oil temperature runs slightly higher compared to the stock engine. While it used to stay below the 210 mark during normal driving, it now hovers slightly above that point. This is merely an observation and not an issue so far.

I will continue to monitor the oil consumption and update this thread.
Attached Images

Last edited by e90sanmarino; 09-13-2024 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 3
rcracin1250.50
0utlaw9.50
anselmw80.00
      09-13-2024, 09:23 AM   #93
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sanmarino View Post
Hello everyone,

I wanted to provide an update as I have recently surpassed 3,000 kilometers on the stroker engine.

1/ The engine does exhibit higher oil consumption. After 800 miles since my last oil change, the oil level is below the midpoint on the gauge. Some users report consuming a quart of oil every 700 miles. According to Steve Dinan, this higher oil consumption is typical for stroker engines, although I'm uncertain about this.
That seems to be very high oil consumption. So a typicl change interval between 3 to 5K miles. means you would be going through a couple of liters of oil. For comparison my stock motor E90 M3 burns practically no oil between change intervals of 5 to 8K miles. A little if I extend to 8K but nothing at 5K. My prior e90m3 same thing.... You would think for a built motor with better tolerances as I assume it would be better than factory would not burn much either.

Thanks for the update, I have been following along as I want to do stroke my S65 too but want factory level reliability... Maybe too much to ask for...
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 09:54 AM   #94
charliev68
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

I’m going to be in Vietnam for 2 weeks in this month. Would love to see a fellow member’s car represented in another country!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 09:56 AM   #95
UPSROD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmairK View Post
ALL forged pistons make some noise when cold, they are fitted looser!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 10:37 AM   #96
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sanmarino View Post
Hello everyone,

2/ Oil temperature runs slightly higher compared to the stock engine. While it used to stay below the 210 mark during normal driving, it now hovers slightly above that point. This is merely an observation and not an issue so far.

I will continue to monitor the oil consumption and update this thread.
yeah that's about right, but that's too much. being at the middle after 800 miles is not right. my oil level drops around the 2.5k mark but not to the middle.

I suggest doing another oil change, driving until you see it's at the middle mark, drain the oil and see how many liters come out. it wont give an accurate level, but i mean it's a visual that helps i suppose.

as far the temp goes the engine is outputting more heat so it is to be expected, but i mean.. let's be real temps in vietnam are not fun lmao.

90F at 90% humidity? naaaah fam. im not going back until december luckily.

you can experiment with different oil weights, but as i told another friend, it's best to stick with what they suggest for warranty reasons.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2024, 03:56 PM   #97
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

I can do about 6000km without the motor consuming a drop of oil, never once do I have to top-up. I have been using Ceratec for every single oil change and never have I noticed I needed to top-up before my oil interval changes. So you might wanna try Ceratec to see if the oil consumption of your motor becomes less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
Yup, having noise from forged pistons no matter the brand will create a different sound than we are used to hearing.
Appreciate 1
UPSROD1015.00
      09-14-2024, 12:47 PM   #98
e90sanmarino
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselmw View Post
That seems to be very high oil consumption. So a typicl change interval between 3 to 5K miles. means you would be going through a couple of liters of oil. For comparison my stock motor E90 M3 burns practically no oil between change intervals of 5 to 8K miles. A little if I extend to 8K but nothing at 5K. My prior e90m3 same thing.... You would think for a built motor with better tolerances as I assume it would be better than factory would not burn much either.

Thanks for the update, I have been following along as I want to do stroke my S65 too but want factory level reliability... Maybe too much to ask for...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
yeah that's about right, but that's too much. being at the middle after 800 miles is not right. my oil level drops around the 2.5k mark but not to the middle.

I suggest doing another oil change, driving until you see it's at the middle mark, drain the oil and see how many liters come out. it wont give an accurate level, but i mean it's a visual that helps i suppose.

as far the temp goes the engine is outputting more heat so it is to be expected, but i mean.. let's be real temps in vietnam are not fun lmao.

90F at 90% humidity? naaaah fam. im not going back until december luckily.

you can experiment with different oil weights, but as i told another friend, it's best to stick with what they suggest for warranty reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
I can do about 6000km without the motor consuming a drop of oil, never once do I have to top-up. I have been using Ceratec for every single oil change and never have I noticed I needed to top-up before my oil interval changes. So you might wanna try Ceratec to see if the oil consumption of your motor becomes less.

Yup, having noise from forged pistons no matter the brand will create a different sound than we are used to hearing.
Thanks for the input guys. I agree its not normal.

Just added 500ml of oil and around 500ml of Ceratec. Will report back on the oil consumption.
Appreciate 1
GORDON.M31475.00
      09-14-2024, 12:48 PM   #99
e90sanmarino
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliev68 View Post
I’m going to be in Vietnam for 2 weeks in this month. Would love to see a fellow member’s car represented in another country!
Nice man. DM me your travel plans, maybe we can meet up
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 10:34 AM   #100
Especial82
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hi e90sanmarino, I would like to check a couple of issues from you.

I am also running on carbahn 4.6 w cams. After a single-track session and another run on the street for a month, my clutch slipped when I dropped gear or pass 6K rpm. I went on to replace my clutch to stage 2 and mechatronics (since already had transmission fault intermittent) but the problem is still there. Have you encountered clutch slip issues?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 10:47 AM   #101
e90sanmarino
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Especial82 View Post

I am also running on carbahn 4.6 w cams. After a single-track session and another run on the street for a month, my clutch slipped when I dropped gear or pass 6K rpm. I went on to replace my clutch to stage 2 and mechatronics (since already had transmission fault intermittent) but the problem is still there. Have you encountered clutch slip issues?
Hi there, Im assuming you are running DCT? Im on 6mt transmission with stage 2 clutch. Im not encountering clutch slip. Maybe others with supercharger kits with DCT can chime in. Sorry I dont have any useful info.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2024, 10:59 AM   #102
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:

That doesn't make any sense. There's something wrong with your DCT to begin with. The stock clutch pack on the DCT can handle tuned N54 levels of torque. There's no way a 4.6L + Cams can create enough HP/TQ to exceed what the DCT can handle.

That being said, I would look into whether the shop that installed your stage 2 clutch packs did a proper job and properly filled the transmission fluid + clutch pack adaptations.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2024, 01:40 PM   #103
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:

10000% check your clutch packs.. the DCT is stupid strong HP wise but even then it can handle good torque.
Appreciate 0