03-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
This is excellent. I was only thinking to do the same thing to mine a couple of weeks ago. I too have a black (Jerez) M3 and had previously considered all black 19's. But the pictures I have seen with them look too gangsterish. Then recently there was a post showing the Neez wheels, which are basically finished similar to what you have done - internally black and polished silver face - and I think they look excellent!

Questions:

What kind of black is on the inside, gloss or matt? Is it actually black or another colour?

How is the finish on the edges where it meets the polished silver? ie: If you look too closely is it flaky?

Thanks for this excellent post!

The color is PAC Black. Its a matte black that is just every so slightly more gray/silver than a normal black. I think it matches my matte black gill/grills very closely. "PAC Black" is a DuPont color, so its just a name brand. I would still consider the color a matte black. I went with matte instead of gloss because I knew the inside sections were going to be dirty and look matte anyway .

The coating was not perfect. I think its relatively easy to PC something a solid color. To tape a section off, he had to tape it, then shoot it with the powder, then take the tape off before putting it in the oven (450 degrees or whatever + tape dont mix). So when the oven kicked on, the powder was disturbed... so I have faint black specs on parts of the silver, and some of the edges are not perfectly crisp.

Of course, this is what the guy told me... I don't know what else to expect .
2008 E92 M3 DCT (RIP) - Jet Black.Black.Carbon
Dinan, Wheels & Accessories for Sale
Appreciate 0