View Single Post
      07-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #71
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Yes and then no. When I want to have fun, have a contest or boogie I'll simply use the right gear and the right rpm and stay above 5000 rpm exclusively.
Get in the real world. Life is not a computer simulation. It is not when you want to have a contest. It is when the contest happens. But in your simulation world, you are always running the perfect quarter mile and always driving your car around at 5000 rpm in the right gear waiting when the contest occurs.

I like decent acceleration most of the time, not just when I am on a dragstrip running to redline and shifting as fast as I can through the gears. Your simulations show that the 4.10 diff improves acceleration more that an underdrive pulley in most gears when doing the very common 30-50 mph and 50-70 mph acceleration as well as the less common 60-130 mph acceleration. That is daily driving.

I was the one saying long ago that the 335i is a great car and probably the faster car in daily driving, particularly when modded. It is always ready to go. No need to first be in the right gear and at the right rpm. I have driven stock and modded examples and have one of the N54 engines in one of my other cars (and had a JB4 on it for a while). I like them. Torque makes daily driving lots of fun.

5% better multiplication of it would be welcome. Its just doing a tiny bit more of what BMW thought was necessary to make these motors perform in these cars -- use aggressive gearing to multiply the low torque of the high revving engine.

If you just want to go fast on rare occasions, when you decide in advance and are making sure you are in the right gear and the right rpm, you should just get a 328i and run nitrous. That is essentially what you are doing now when you drive fast. You are planning ahead and "arming the car." Nitrous would be perfect for someone like you who either has no interest in performance or is going all out in the quarter mile.
Appreciate 0