12-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #26
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Just got my car back from service where the loaner was a 2011 535i (N55 engine).

What can I say, the car is very luxurious, the interior is executed absolutely perfectly for an executive car. Superb ergonomics, amazing materials and fit&finish, excellent ride on runflats, car was reasonably quick and the average mpg was over 20. Oh yeah, and it looks absolutely gorgeous to my eyes.

So why didn't I like it one bit?

I drove the previous generation cars (535i and 528i, both stock non-sport) and they drove like a BMW should, I wasn't expecting much and was extremely impressed. A more mature driving experience for sure, but still imbued with that iron-fist-in-velvet sense of control that the best BMW's posses. Didn't like the design but thought to myself I could absolutely live with it because the driving experience was so good. I entertained the idea of getting one for my wife (still do).

All that is gone in the new car. Treacle steering with no self-centering and zero feedback, floaty suspension (so it can ride well on those stupid runflats), a marked disconnect between front and rear suspension movements, heavy heavy chassis that takes awhile to settle and all crowned with an automatic gearbox with a silly selector. Did I mention it has a *big* footprint?

Oh yeah - forget all the hoopla about the 8 speed being as responsive as a manual, if you believe that might as well give my best regards to the Easter Bunny. But automatic transmission rant aside, my overall impression was of a beautifully executed, solidly engineered barge of a car, without any soul or character. A Benz in other words. Go drive one if you don't believe me...

RIP, 5 series.
+1. I totally agree with you. I test drove a 535i with the sport package soon after it first came out. It was heavy and the electronic assisted steering felt numb. Although it's a very luxurious and beautiful car, in terms of driving enjoyment, I prefer the e60 535i. I really felt like they were trying too hard to appeal to Lexus and MB crowd. I also drove the 550i afterwards. It felt unbalanced and nose heavy, esp in the corners. To me it was an obvious business move by BMW. Of course, this is just my personal opinion. To give them credit, I read somewhere that they are working on fine tuning the electronic steering. Based on reviews, the new 3 series has pretty much sorted out the kinks. However, it is of note that they used the hydraulic assist in the f10 m5 for a reason.

Last edited by erio; 12-13-2011 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0