View Single Post
      06-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #11
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
I still haven't made up my mind about doing this myself so I called around few local indy shops specializing on BMW and quotes were between $2-3k. I'm now leaning towards DIY so trying to get more details.

I've seen many videos and write-ups for other cars including regular E90 so what would be different for our M3 rack? Are there anything in particular that I should watch out for? Servo removal & install on the new rack seems pretty straightforward. The only real hang up I could think of is accessing the steering shaft to remove & reinstall to the coupler due to very tight spacing.

Obviously, the problem with this or any DIY job is once I get started there's really no turning back must commit and finish.
So I was able to access the hex bolt for the coupling next to the steering rack through the gaps in the drivers side wheel well to loosen it then you can just yank that sucker out. You might need some extensions and some creativity to get there, but that's what cheap harbor freight tools are for right. Haha.

Getting it back in was a little more difficult. Make sure you keep your steering wheel centered and line up the coupler. Then I used a long screwdriver to pry the collar back together (it takes some force) and then tighten the new hex bolt the same way you loosened the old one through the gaps in the wheel.

Could you post the diy's you have and I can point out any differences?

Last edited by takrdown; 06-10-2019 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0