United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
Well u know what, to each his own!

I think maybe some of us are in a position to have multiple vehicles throughout the year!

Why should one drive the M in the winter, when you run into these probs:

1. Ground Clearance
2. Higher Risk of Accidents (Some jackass hits you!)
3. Salt/Rock chips on paint
4. Cant drive the the M hard! the way its meant to be like in summer

The Porsche turbos are AWD!
and FYI I drive the 760, Lexus GS in the winter. Infact prior to that I drove the 745 in the winter too!

The M with good winter set of wheels probably handles well, but I rest my case for the reasons mentioned above

And the M is no supercar but even supercars are driven in the snow and this is what happens
Those gents looked like they were having great fun with the Maserati to me.

So let's go down your list:

1. Ground clearance.

I'll give you that one, but most of the times here on the front range of the Rockies it's not an issue because we have very effective plows. Still, you have to be aware.

2. High risk of accident.

Well duh, but so what? Any vehicle you drive is at this risk. Why would I care more if my M3 gets pranged vs. my Hyundai??? They're both disposable and bought for a purpose.

3. Salt/rock chips on the paint. That's not a problem in my part of the world. Even if it were, it's easily fixed.

4. Can't drive an M hard.

Is there something the matter with you?? With high perforance snow tires you can drive the living crap out of the M3. The balance is perfect and the brakes are great. Also, it's easy to turn the DSC off and on for play and fun.

I rest my case.

Dave