01-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #168
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaks View Post
I think he means the weight of the intercooler, hoses etc on the 4 Cylinder turbo brings the mass equal to that of the n52 which is naturally aspirated.

On a drive-ability standpoint and efficiency standpoint, I think the new 4 turbo is better than the n52, considering their masses will probably be pretty much similar, but the n52 is an inline 6, which is sooo smooth, and so happy at high rpm.
I love my n54 though.
At the very least, every 4cyl needs a balance shaft to offset vibration, which is one of the reasons the inline6 and the flat6 are so sweet.
and don't forget the acoustic sweetness of the 6. While I am fully supportive of BMW on this new engine, I think th sound is the biggest loss with this move. With you 100% on the N54, though, which I become less and less inclined to part with, as time goes on.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0