View Single Post
      01-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #157
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Well comparing a BMW inline turbo 4 vs Audi is not exactly apples to apples either. From what I understood this inline 4 turbo engine would be based off the BMW inline 6 engines and would employ all of their latest technology and will be lighter and more compact. Now how much I am not so sure. If you have the figures please post as I would love to see the comparison.
You chop one or two cylinders off of an Inline-6 engine to make an I-5 or I-4 configuration and all of the sound and complete lack of NVH goodness instantly disappears, because I5 and I4 engines aren't naturally balanced internally. That's why they've always been such rough running engines, especially at higher power levels. Only the I-6 is completely balanced internally naturally (and H4 and H6 engines, ie subaru and porsche). So the comparison to the Audi engines and they're sound and feel is pretty valid. BMW isn't immune to the laws of physics.

Also you live in Houston (TX), so you have plenty of room to flog the more powerful cars and engines. Not everybody is that fortunate. Here in the DC suburbs it's tough enough to break 45 mph, or have any sort of fun without running into traffic. You have to find things to enjoy in cars other than power, like good handling, or the sweet sounds an engine might make. That's one of the things I could enjoy in a BMW, the sweet sounding and great feeling free-revving yet not overly powerful NA Inline-6, and now they're taking that away by replacing it with this 4-banger turbo. I suppose I could get a 535i, but they're far more muted and it falls into the 'too much power to enjoy' responsibly category for me around here.
Appreciate 0