03-22-2024, 10:46 AM   #3251
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGros View Post
Are you now going to update the WIKI with the official BMW service specifications?
I grabbed it from the wiki, and posted it here, but I think it was only added two days ago.

Quote:
I note when I published the specs from the drawing it was noted as "credible but unverified" The data I published is contained in an official MAHLE technical bulletin and states "The Trento bearing drawing specified a total clearance range of 0.029mm to 0.062mm which gives a mean clearance of 0.046mm."
Is this an actual technical bulletin from Mahle, separate from the technical document that you posted from Mahle Motorsport? It would be nice to see that as well.

Quote:
MAHLE purchased Glacier Vandervell who produced the OE bearing in Trento, Italy (not Clevite as stated) and the data comes from their OE drawing. I'm wondering what information has to be provided for it to be verifiable? The MAHLE document can be found here https://marmotorsport.com/wp-content...S85-Iss.-2.pdf
I can speak for myself because I believe that I posted the comment about "credible but unverified." Posting a document that contains a quote that can't be verified independently is what I was talking about. Maybe you and Bert can discuss and figure something out. He told me that you two have been chatting and that he's in the process of improving the wiki. I think that's when he posted this updated info because looking at the page history, it says it was added two days ago.

Quote:
There are now TWO pieces of data in the public domain, one from BMW and one from the real original bearing manufacturer that go against the claims in the wiki of BMW clearance specs. Both show that the clearance for the S65 / S85 is completely in line with other BMW rod bearings clearances.
I wouldn't expect the measured results at the wiki to change unless the measurements with the new equipment change. However, if you have your own measured results, then this would be the thread to post them.

BTW, did you see the comments only a few posts above about using MODE instead of AVERAGE? IIRC, the guy "swamp" referred in that post is a statistician by trade. If you wade through this thread, you'll see his participation and disagreements in plenty of places.
Appreciate 0