09-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
Hate to say it, but I am sure the BMW engineers have a lot more knowledge in this area than yourself or just about anyone on this forum. If using the hood scoop/vent as a ram-air or not having it altogether would have yielded 5 or 10 more hp, I am sure they would have designed the intake in that fashion instead.
Yep, and they've designed every part of the car for ultimate performance, right? The extra cats, the rubber suspension bushings, the charcoal filters integrated into the air-filters...all are compromises...just like the nostril on the hood.
I suspect that the engineers that you so fondly speak of had to incorporate those hood nostrils on the car for visual purposes, as it is one of them are faux.

I've been around the block enough times to know that a hole in an airbox is not optimal. Thanks for your thoughts, though.

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0